PDA

View Full Version : Star Trek - saw it. (no spoilers please)

Mitchell Andrus
05-08-2009, 8:23 PM
Just saw it. OK, OK... so I'm still a fan of the '60s series and anything else is just something close (especially Voyager).

I DID enjoy this one very much. My only hope is that they've gotten the special effects stuff out of their system on this one so the next 2* can focus on the relationships and morality plays rather than what I call 'shoot the pixels'. I just don't find pixels to be very menacing anymore.

Don't get me wrong, the characters' interplay is there... just subdued, as it should be the first time out.

It's a blast - go see it.

* the cast is signed for at least 2 more.

Dewey Torres
05-08-2009, 10:09 PM
I heard this one was way different than the others. The reviews seem to already have it above Wolverine.

Art Mulder
05-08-2009, 10:54 PM
Saw it tonight. Very well done. The Trek-nobabble was actually pretty minimal. I was dreading the time travel thing, but it was well explained.

Funny, I read a reviewer who claimed that Sulu and Chekov didn't have enough to do. Ha. Scotty was the one that didn't get much to do!

But man oh man did they seriously reboot the entire Star Trek Universe with this story! The future is wide open for sequels.

Martin Shupe
05-09-2009, 1:45 AM
I really liked the last series, Enterprise. I was mad when they cancelled it.

I am planning to see the new movie at the theater (as opposed to Netflix).

phil harold
05-09-2009, 2:13 AM

That was a very sad day when I heard it was cancelled...

I loved most of the star treks but The Next Generation was on the bottom of my list

Randal Stevenson
05-09-2009, 3:25 AM
Saw it tonight. Very well done. The Trek-nobabble was actually pretty minimal. I was dreading the time travel thing, but it was well explained.

Funny, I read a reviewer who claimed that Sulu and Chekov didn't have enough to do. Ha. Scotty was the one that didn't get much to do!

But man oh man did they seriously reboot the entire Star Trek Universe with this story! The future is wide open for sequels.

Rewritting the Star Trek universe huh? Well I guess I will hear complaints about it tomorrow. (like having Warbirds in Enterprise when they were new ships much later on)
One question though (what I have been wondering, or if they didn't WTH not), any Capt. Pike mention in this one? (seemed like a good possibility for a prequel)

Still waiting on a good movie to use my gift cards from a few years ago.

Mitchell Andrus
05-09-2009, 8:11 AM
any Capt. Pike mention in this one? (seemed like a good possibility for a prequel)

Yes, mucho.

Jim Becker
05-09-2009, 9:16 AM
A friend of mine saw it last night and said it was quite enjoyable. I'll still wait for the Blu-Ray version, however...too darn expensive to go to the theaters anymore. ;)

Jim O'Dell
05-09-2009, 9:36 AM
I'm contemplating letting the hype die down then take an afternoon with the LOML and trek (sorry:p) over to Dallas to watch it in the IMAX screen. If I read the website right, tickets are only 10.00 ea. Not bad. Jim.

Pat Germain
05-09-2009, 11:16 AM
I'm contemplating letting the hype die down then take an afternoon with the LOML and trek (sorry:p) over to Dallas to watch it in the IMAX screen. If I read the website right, tickets are only 10.00 ea. Not bad. Jim.

I guess I'm weird because I like to see a new movie during all the hype. I like the excitement and all the people waiting in anticipation. Shoot, I even like to see the people wearing costumes. I've never done this myself. Maybe someday, just to push my geek factor over the top. :)

Brad Wood
05-09-2009, 11:18 AM
My only hope is that they've gotten the special effects stuff out of their system on this one

good luck with that.

movies are about making money and the money is in the 15 to 25 age bracket. They don't want to listen to a bunch of dialog.

Greg Peterson
05-09-2009, 4:08 PM
Will probably see it soon. I thoroughly enjoy JJ Abrams revamped godzilla story 'Cloverfield'. Very cleverly and well done. I have high expectations for his take on the Star Trek universe.

Jim Kountz
05-09-2009, 8:47 PM
Good Lord another Star Trek?? Should we not feel bad about beating that poor horse, its already dead for petes sake. Sorry guys not a fan at all and never have been. Guess Im wierd huh??

Martin Shupe
05-10-2009, 5:29 AM
I saw it and really liked it.

It will attract folks that have never seen the original.

Good pacing, story line, characters.

Well done.

I hope he makes a couple more.

Rick Gooden
05-10-2009, 7:37 AM
We saw it last night and it is a really fun movie. I didn't know what to expect (never was much of a trekie) but can now recommend it highly.

Nick Abbott
05-10-2009, 7:39 AM
The wife and I went to see it yesterday, we enjoyed it.

Mitchell Andrus
05-10-2009, 8:29 AM
The wife and I went to see it yesterday, we enjoyed it.

Nick, welcome to the Creek.

Nick Abbott
05-10-2009, 11:51 AM
Nick, welcome to the Creek.

Thank you.

Cliff Rohrabacher
05-10-2009, 11:51 AM
The butler did it.

Mitchell Andrus
05-10-2009, 12:52 PM
The butler did it.

... in the shuttle bay - with a phaser.

Which brings to mind.... see Clue post.

Pat Germain
05-10-2009, 7:31 PM
Mrs. Pat and I attended a 4:00 showing yesterday. It was in the largest theater at my local gigaplex, which is huge, and it was sold out. Most of the previous showings had also sold out. And the movie is playing on at least three screens. My screening was digital. I'm glad I opted for the digital projection. The picture was absolutely amazing!

We thought the movie was great. Yeah, the cast are almost all young punks. But if the studio wants to get a lot of mileage out of them, it makes sense to go wity young actirs. What I really liked is the movie maintained a mild sense of humor; something missing in all too many Science Fiction movies.

I was watching a show on History Channel last night. It was about a big auction of Star Trek props and costumes at Christies, New York. A flute prop, that didn't even play, went for $30,000. A model of a Klingon War Bird went for $160,000. A model of the second USS Enterprise, from the Next Generation series, went for $500,000! Some rich British guy bought it. The program showed him later admiring the model in his own Star Trek museum back in England. He has literally millions of pounds invested in Star Trek stuff. Which goes to show how popular the franchise continues to be.

I'm looking forward to more Star Trek movies. Sure beats, "Fast & Furious VI; Dogsled Drift".;)

Frank Hagan
05-11-2009, 12:14 AM
Saw it on Friday in a half-empty theater ... I had the day off so I was before the after-work crowd.

I was a fan of the original in the late 60s, was even a member of the Lincoln Club (the precursor to the Star Trek Fan Club), but didn't like the movies very much. They took themselves much too seriously, far away from the "Wagon Train to the stars" concept that Roddenberry originally had.

I like the new movie more than any of the other movies. The characters were fleshed out and didn't look like old guys trying to act like young guys. And, unlike most "prequels", they were able to keep you guessing as to who lived and died, and that kept the tension high enough.

Jeff Dege
05-11-2009, 12:27 AM
I find it incomprehensible that anyone would think it conceivable that any military would put a bunch of cadets in charge of anything larger than a deck chair, other than in a carefully controlled training environment.

Mitchell Andrus
05-11-2009, 8:36 AM
I find it incomprehensible that anyone would think it conceivable that any military would put a bunch of cadets in charge of anything larger than a deck chair, other than in a carefully controlled training environment.

....but, how do you feel about getting "beamed up"?

Pat Germain
05-11-2009, 9:24 AM

Well, yeah. There is that. But there's an emphasis on the fiction of this science fiction.

As a Navy veteran, I find the whole idea of college kids being in charge of anything quite ludicrous. Furthermore, I chuckled when Kirk, a cadet was being grilled by an Admiral. Right. Admirals certainly have better things to do than deal with cadets.

On a US Navy ship, a new ensign is the most worthless person onboard. Consider even the most junior enlisted can clean, stand fire watches, participate in working parties and perform many other essential duties. Since officers don't clean or participate in working parties, and a new ensign isn't qualified to stand any kind of watch, all they do is consume food and water and take up space. That's why they're typically assigned to a Chief. It's the Chief's job to drag new ensigns around the by ear and make them into something actually useful. Putting one in command of anything is just so ridiculous. :p

Karl Brogger
05-11-2009, 9:52 AM
I don't remember the last time there was actually a number of movies either out, or coming out that I wanted to see. The new Star Trek is definetly on this list. I don't get to the theatre too often anymore. Its far cheaper for me to just buy the DVD when it comes out. Blu-Ray might be a wash.

Wolverine
Harry Potter
Angels & Demons
Terminator
Transformers

Most years there isn't five movies worth watching. I'm sure I'll be let down by at least two of these, but that's still pretty good.

Clifford Mescher
05-11-2009, 10:06 AM
I don't remember the last time there was actually a number of movies either out, or coming out that I wanted to see. The new Star Trek is definetly on this list. I don't get to the theatre too often anymore. Its far cheaper for me to just buy the DVD when it comes out. Blu-Ray might be a wash.

Wolverine
Harry Potter
Angels & Demons
Terminator
Transformers

Most years there isn't five movies worth watching. I'm sure I'll be let down by at least two of these, but that's still pretty good.
Karl, what do you mean by that? I bought a Blu-Ray player last year and I'm curious. Clifford. (They are expensive, though)

Jerome Hanby
05-11-2009, 10:22 AM
I've liked all the series except Enterprise. I stopped watching it when I realized I was doing it because I was supposed to watch.

I'd rank them first to worst
Next Gen
Voyager
DS9
Original
Enterprise.

The whole Vulcan vibe turned me off on Enterprise. I can handle Vulcan not knowing what to make of us. The keeping us under their thumb so we don't cause trouble thing never caught my fancy.

Thought the new movie was pretty good. The numbers compared to the Wolverine opening are probably a little inflated. I bet there were significantly more repeat viewings of Star Trek that for Wolverine.

I was a little worried Thursday night when the 8:00 PM showing had four other old guys seated when I walked into the auditorium. Was a little funny, were were all lined up front to back in the middle of the rows, guess eyesight dictated row choice:D. I think two couples and a child may have entered prior to the movie starting, but there were definitely less than a baker's dozen total. Talked to one of the employees on my way out (had to get my "free" refill on my $5.50 cent drink:eek:) and he said they had canceled the late shows because of the low turnout.

I am planning to see the new movie at the theater (as opposed to Netflix).

Dan Mages
05-11-2009, 12:28 PM
Wifey and I saw it yesterday and enjoyed it. I found the fate of Vulcan be a rather ballsy move. Unlike past Star Trek movies and TV shows, the set designs felt more realistic and functional, espectially the rather industrial looking engineering decks.

Simon Pegg just rocks!

Dan

Oh... and did anyone else see the tribble?

Karl Brogger
05-11-2009, 1:04 PM
Karl, what do you mean by that? I bought a Blu-Ray player last year and I'm curious. Clifford. (They are expensive, though)

Just as far as cheaper than going to the theatre and seeing it versus buying it on Blu-Ray, versus buying the DVD. I think its $12 for a ticket at the local theatre, and about 30 miles away. 60 miles, 20mpg, 3 gallons, $2/gal = $6 in fuel, $24 for the tickets. So about $30, which is about what Blu-Ray disc's cost. Blu-Ray is really nice, but I've got an old Mitsubishi 65", that only does 1080i, so I don't get the full benifit of the Blu-Ray. Had I waited six months, I would've had 1080p.:(

Larry Browning
05-11-2009, 2:03 PM
Just as far as cheaper than going to the theatre and seeing it versus buying it on Blu-Ray, versus buying the DVD. I think its $12 for a ticket at the local theatre, and about 30 miles away. 60 miles, 20mpg, 3 gallons, $2/gal = $6 in fuel, $24 for the tickets. So about $30, which is about what Blu-Ray disc's cost. Blu-Ray is really nice, but I've got an old Mitsubishi 65", that only does 1080i, so I don't get the full benifit of the Blu-Ray. Had I waited six months, I would've had 1080p.:(

We must be lucky here in Van Buren Arkansas when it comes to movies. I went Friday night, and the theater was packed. Tickets were $6 each ($12). We shared the refillable popcorn and drink $7.50. Didn't count gas due to theater being only about 2 miles away. Very enjoyable evening out with my best girl for less then 20 bucks. Best movie I've seen in quite some time. Life is good!

Mark Versprille
05-11-2009, 2:15 PM
Simon (Scotty) Pegg is my new favorite Trek character. I loved the new movie. I'm glad they re-invented the franchise and I was really impressed with how efficiently the writers explained the re-invention in under two minutes of exposition. I also think the franchise would have been better served if Kirk were to follow a more Horatio Hornblower/Jack Aubrey career track. I have seen Ensigns and Jg.'s command river patrol boats and tugs. In the universe of inter-galactic fiction there is more than enough scope for adventure and heroism on the smaller craft.

Art Mulder
05-11-2009, 6:10 PM
Well, yeah. There is that. But there's an emphasis on the fiction of this science fiction.

As a Navy veteran, I find the whole idea of college kids being in charge of anything quite ludicrous. ...
On a US Navy ship, a new ensign is the most worthless person onboard. Consider even the most junior enlisted can clean, stand fire watches,

Guys, I agree about the fiction aspect.
And I also agree about the putting junior guys in charge...
(But throughout the movie they were under battle conditions - I cringed more at the end when they actually gave Kirk command officially)

But, I do not think you are right to compare soley this to Navy.

You need to compare this more to NASA. The people going up on our current space ships are all elite, carefully screened, and rigorously trained.

Jeff Dege
05-11-2009, 6:37 PM
The people going up on our current space ships are all elite, carefully screened, and rigorously trained.
And they all had extensive training and careers before being accepted into the program.

Larry Browning
05-11-2009, 10:26 PM
It's a MOVIE!!!! not real life. It was NOT based on a true story. I does not need to be analyzed as to whether it was realistic or not. There was nothing realistic about it. It is not the navy, nor is it NASA, it is starfleet, where the training is so advanced, that a new cadet can become the commander in 12 minutes. Can't we just enjoy it for what it is? A really fun MOVIE!

Sheesh!

Sorry, just had to get that off my chest.

Mitchell Andrus
05-11-2009, 11:45 PM
It's a MOVIE!!!!

What's a movie?

If you mean historical documents....

Frank Hagan
05-12-2009, 10:12 AM

As a Navy veteran, I find the whole idea of college kids being in charge of anything quite ludicrous. Furthermore, I chuckled when Kirk, a cadet was being grilled by an Admiral. Right. Admirals certainly have better things to do than deal with cadets.

On a US Navy ship, a new ensign is the most worthless person onboard. Consider even the most junior enlisted can clean, stand fire watches, participate in working parties and perform many other essential duties. Since officers don't clean or participate in working parties, and a new ensign isn't qualified to stand any kind of watch, all they do is consume food and water and take up space. That's why they're typically assigned to a Chief. It's the Chief's job to drag new ensigns around the by ear and make them into something actually useful. Putting one in command of anything is just so ridiculous. :p

All movies stretch your credibility, but the point of this part of the movie is not what the ranks were, but who the people were ... Pike and Kirk have a special relationship, and there's a clue to Pike's decision making in their first meeting in the bar (that is also in the trailer, so its not really a spoiler). Pike tells him Star Fleet needs more "out of the box thinking" (something along those lines).

Believable? Naw. None of it is, including green blood or aliens or any of the other things standard in sci fi (traveling faster than the speed of light, stars "moving" in relation to the space craft to give you feeling of speed, etc.) But it might be more believable than the idea that Julia Roberts can change a scoundral into a saint wth her smile.

Russ Filtz
05-13-2009, 8:19 AM
You have to remember the storyline as for juniors in command. Pretty much ALL the fleet was off fighting other wars and couldn't get to Vulcan in time. Hence the need to scramble the cadets (but with senior commanding crew, at least initially)

Would be pretty boring to 3 or 4 movies of Kirk playing Cadet and swabbing decks as an ensign.