PDA

View Full Version : New Turner

Mike Gottlieb
05-08-2009, 8:07 PM
I am considering trying my hand at turning, but have not as yet purchased a lathe. I noticed in another thread that Jet is offering a deal on the 1642-2EVS. Would this be an appropriate lathe for someone just starting out? Also, I have very limited space. Is it possible or practicable to put this lathe on a mobile base? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

David Christopher
05-08-2009, 9:06 PM
I am considering trying my hand at turning, but have not as yet purchased a lathe. I noticed in another thread that Jet is offering a deal on the 1642-2EVS. Would this be an appropriate lathe for someone just starting out? Also, I have very limited space. Is it possible or practicable to put this lathe on a mobile base? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Mike, the jet is an outstanding lathe and good for anyone from beginner to professional...you can put it on a mobile base but dont think it would be very stable.... I think anyone would be happy with that lathe...let us know what you decide

Ryan Baker
05-08-2009, 9:11 PM
I have that lathe and I agree completely. It is an outstanding piece of equipment and a great place to begin if you can afford it. You can put it on a mobile base, but I would avoid that if you can find any way at all to do it.

Steve Schlumpf
05-08-2009, 9:14 PM
Mike - I have that lathe and love it! You can turn just about anything you can think of with the 1642 Jet! I am sure there are different ways of making a lathe mobile but you need to be aware that you must level the lathe before you use it after moving. The sale you mentioned is a good deal for that lathe and well worth considering! Let us know what you decide! Also, if you have any specific questions about the lathe - be sure to ask!

Larry Marley
05-08-2009, 9:15 PM
Hi Mike,
I agree with David, Ryan and Steve.
Very good lathe, especially when it is on sale for $500 off.

Mike Gottlieb
05-08-2009, 9:34 PM
Thanks guys. I think I am going to pull the trigger.

John Fricke
05-08-2009, 10:18 PM
here is a link to a thread I started on lathe mobility. http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=109702

There are some other good posts if you search around the site a bit.

congrats on the new lathe. I just bought the 3520b but if this sale had been on at the time I woulda probably went with the Jet.