PDA

View Full Version : Back up camera

Gene Howe
05-08-2009, 7:28 PM
Want to put one on my PU camper to monitor the ATV trailer. Any suggestions re: Brand, installation, anything I should know????

Jim Kountz
05-08-2009, 8:26 PM
I got the cheapo $150 unit off Ebay for the RV. Its color and comes on automatically when you put it in reverse. Also has inputs for another video source such as DVD etc. I wish it had audio though then the wife wouldnt have to yell at me!!
Some off brand but the thing works well.

Matt Meiser
05-09-2009, 8:24 AM
The backup camera is one option my truck didn't have that would have been really nice for the same reason you want it. But there's also a huge blind spot behind this truck due to its larger size that I'm not used to. I've been looking at them and ended up going the DIY route. I bought an Audiovox monitor that will be mounted in the cab and ended up getting a great deal on the OEM camera which is hidden in the blue oval for my truck. Obviously I'll have to figure out the wiring going that route but there are posts out on the F-150 message boards where guys have rewired the OEM cameras to aftermarket DVD displays so it won't be too difficult. Everything is on the way to me right now.

While reading reviews, I saw a lot of complaints on the wireless systems with respect to interference. Some say they work great and others say the interference is terrible. Since they operate in the crowded 2.4GHz spectrum, I'm not surprised. And since my truck has built-in bluetooth, I'd pretty much expect problems so I wanted wired.

I didn't find much locally at all. Best Buy sells an Audiovox wired system, Wal-Mart sells a wireless system, and one of the local car stereo shops sells a no-name wired system for $500+install :eek:

The cameras seem to be the weak point with cheap ones fogging after a winter. One of the reasons I'm really happy I got an OEM camera which would have undergone much more rigorous testing than some of the cheap aftermarket ones. Boyo is one brand that was recommended. Or another option is to buy a cheap camera and plan to replace it regularly.

Jim Becker
05-09-2009, 9:16 AM
We have on on our Prius...came standard. It's great for knowing "what" is behind you, but the super-wide-angle is less useful for precision steering. If at all possible, it would be good for you to be able to "test ride" in a vehicle equipped with the camera(s) you're considering so you can see if they are going to do what you want. I've driven an RV with a camera at the rear and it was indeed handy to judge progress when backing up to something "fixed" that you don't want to it. As well as seeingany people/obstructions that are not viewable through the mirrors.

Gene Howe
05-09-2009, 11:24 AM
Thanks for the info, guys.
I just want the camera to be able to check on the trailer towed behind the PU camper while traveling. Backing is no problem as the LOML guides me with a walkie talkie. We usually take the AtV off and unhook the trailer before parking, anyway.

Rich Konopka
05-09-2009, 12:33 PM
We have on on our Prius...came standard. It's great for knowing "what" is behind you, but the super-wide-angle is less useful for precision steering. If at all possible, it would be good for you to be able to "test ride" in a vehicle equipped with the camera(s) you're considering so you can see if they are going to do what you want. I've driven an RV with a camera at the rear and it was indeed handy to judge progress when backing up to something "fixed" that you don't want to it. As well as seeingany people/obstructions that are not viewable through the mirrors.

I agree with Jim. Test it out. I have one in my new car and it has the guidelines and a shaded zone of green, orange, and red. It is great for backing in and there is a post or another obstruction.

Matt Meiser
05-11-2009, 6:45 PM
I got my camera today and tried it out with the TV. A 46" LCD would make trailer hookup REAL easy :D I've seen a picture of what is visible in the F150 with the camera. Its pretty good and you can easily see the ball of the hitch. Theres a black guideline down the center so you can see if you are lined up with the trailer. And Red-Yellow-Green lines to show distance.

And while I was typing this UPS showed up with the monitor. :)

Michael Roland
05-12-2009, 10:47 AM
I researched a bunch of backup camera models when picking one to integrate into my fatory gps/navigation unit. The Boyo brand cameras have excellent low light sensativity, low power draw, and excellent signal.

The make several models to support various mounting locations and they also make a couple of kits that include a display for those that don't already have a display as part of a sound or navigation system.

I've installed two and love them. I have had two factory dealer mechanics ask where I got the camera because it's better than the factory option that cost $500 and another $500 for installation. The Boyo model that I have was about $175 a year ago.

The Boyo's are available from several major electronics sources and many small internet based sellers.