PDA

View Full Version : chipped carbide on lock miter bit

Tyler Davis
05-08-2009, 3:05 PM
I was using the large diameter lock miter bit from Holbren's Jointmaker set. I was spinning it about 12,000 RPM, doing some test cuts on red oak scraps. The cut was very rough and after about 3 passes, I noticed some of the carbide had chipped off one of the flutes. I didn't notice it come off - it probably got sucked into the DC. But scary to think about carbide flying around the shop at those speeds!

To his credit, Brian at Holbren offered to send me a free replacement. Be careful out there....

Rod Sheridan
05-08-2009, 3:48 PM
I was using the large diameter lock miter bit from Holbren's Jointmaker set. I was spinning it about 12,000 RPM, doing some test cuts on red oak scraps. The cut was very rough and after about 3 passes, I noticed some of the carbide had chipped off one of the flutes. I didn't notice it come off - it probably got sucked into the DC. But scary to think about carbide flying around the shop at those speeds!

To his credit, Brian at Holbren offered to send me a free replacement. Be careful out there....

At least it was a very small mass piece at relatively moderate speed.

I was in the machine room once when someone failed to perform all the pre-start checks on a molder and started one of the heads with a loose bolt.

The 3 inch long, 2 inch wide piece of corrugated back knife came out of the cutter block and was bent into a horseshoe shape by the guard, prior to being ejected from the molder.

Boy, can people hit the floor fast while they're crawling to the emergency stop button!

Glad to hear that you're OK and that Holbren are replacing the cutter.......Rod.

David DeCristoforo
05-08-2009, 4:03 PM
"Boy, can people hit the floor fast while they're crawling to the emergency stop button!"

OK... I got one for you. A friend of mine used to work in a mill outside of Eugene, Or. They were running some materials through a sticker one day and he was the "feeder". About half way through the run he heard a "chunk" sound. At the same time he felt something brush past his ear. He dismissed that thinking it was some flying insect and shut down the sticker. When he went to opened the machine, he noticed a neat little slot in the steel cover. When he examined the cutter heads, one knife was missing. He started looking around and noticed another neat little slot in the wall behind the machine. He went outside and noticed another neat little slot in the siding. He never found the missing knife. You figure it out from there!

Rod Sheridan
05-08-2009, 4:06 PM
David, did he buy a lottery ticket that day?

Regards, Rod.

David DeCristoforo
05-08-2009, 4:17 PM
"...did he buy a lottery ticket that day?"

At the risk of once again showing my age, this was way before there were any lotteries. But I believe he did sacrifice a live chicken as an offering of gratitude....

Peter Quinn
05-08-2009, 7:39 PM
Wow, nothing like steel moving at high speed past your head to get your attention. When I first got my shaper, I had the bright idea to test some cope and stick insert knives I got with a 40MM set using my cope push block from the router table and a split fence set up. I think the cutter spins about a 5 1/2" diameter, so the fence was "opened" a bit. I got about half way through coping a 3" wide test piece when WHAMO, the cutter sucked the piece out of my hands, jambed it in between the head and the infeed fence, and all sorts of strange noises started happening as I dove under my RAS table for cover. When the noise stopped I finally reached up and kicked that red button with my steel toes, still lying on the floor. The steel that should have made the panel groove and the rest of the knife from there up back to the head was missing on both knives, the test piece was across the room looking like beaver fodder, and the aluminum head was a bit nicked.

What was it my boss had said about using a solid fence for coping? I eventually found one of the sheared knife tips, the other remains lost to this day. I keep them taped to the inside of the door on my shaper cutter cabinet, behind clear packing tape, as a reminder not to be so stupid when setting up my shaper hence forth. Not sure how I'd feel if a set of knives came apart due to no fault of my own, that hasn't happened to me yet.

John Morrison60
05-08-2009, 7:46 PM
David

This is the second time you have mentioned mystical powers of chickens.
I am thinking maybe I need one.

When the master talks........

John

David DeCristoforo
05-08-2009, 7:55 PM
"...mystical powers of chickens..."

It's just that most shops are not equipped to handle the larger sacrificial animals like sheep and goats.

Peter Quinn
05-08-2009, 8:08 PM
It's just that most shops are not equipped to handle the larger sacrificial animals like sheep and goats.

You're telling me all these guys with the MM20's can't handle a lamb or a goat? What good is a trimaster if it can't fabricate the occasional primal cut or ritual sacrifice? And I'd guess any guy in the Neander realm has lots of weapons to dress the darn things!:D Might be a good use for one of those odd skew chisels?

I'd probably portion my own lamb chops from whole saddles on my RAS if it wasn't for the portion loss from that 3/16" kerf blade. Lamb is pricey these days. Frankly I think the lack of a floor drain is a more likely reason to avoid the bigger carcus animals than the lack of a cutting tool in a wood shop!:eek:

David DeCristoforo
05-08-2009, 8:35 PM
"Frankly I think the lack of a floor drain is a more likely reason to avoid the bigger carcus animals than the lack of a cutting tool in a wood shop!"

Of courst you are correct. But please let me point out that my statement that "...most shops are not equipped to handle the larger...animals..." was a general statement. The lack of the necessary drains, racks, pyres, hoses, etc would be encompassed by this general statement. In addition, many "home" shops would be in direct violation of zoning ordinances regardless of their capability.

Also, please keep in mind that actually consuming the sacrifice might be in direct opposition to various religious edicts and could quite possibly nullify the positive gains. It might even cause worse juju than that for which the sacrifice was intended to ward off.

Brian Smith3
05-08-2009, 8:59 PM
Also, please keep in mind that actually consuming the sacrifice might be in direct opposition to various religious edicts and could quite possibly nullify the positive gains. It might even cause worse juju than that for which the sacrifice was offered to ward off.

Ah life..... she is full of compromises.....

Peter Quinn
05-09-2009, 7:50 AM
The lack of the necessary drains, racks, pyres, hoses, etc would be encompassed by this general statement. In addition, many "home" shops would be in direct violation of zoning ordinances regardless of their capability.

So I'm looking through an old book I have called "Home Butchery for Fun and Profit; From Field Dressing to Table", and I'm starting to think avoiding the bigger animals is more do to lack of will than equipment issues. Seems you can improvise quite a bit with a 5 gallon plastic bucket and a rubber hose.....Key is to modify techniques meant for the fabricating animals for consumption to appease the gods of your choice without attracting undue attention from the neighbors. The book offers no advice on how to minimize the BAAAAAA sounds coming from the garage.