PDA

View Full Version : Miter Gauges, what should I know?

Tim Elder
05-08-2009, 3:03 PM
So I've got a birthday coming up and I was thinking about picking out, er, I mean, asking for a new miter gauge. I was thinking either the Incra v27 or 1000SE. I'm not sure the aluminum face is worth the extra money for the 1000SE when i can attach a sacrificial face to the V27. Thoughts?

BTW, I looked at other gauges, but none of them seemed more compelling for the price. I'd like to keep it around the hundred and lower "range" if possible.

Bill White
05-08-2009, 3:33 PM
I REALLY like my Incra 1000 SE. Been a good addition to the Grizz TS.
Bill

glenn bradley
05-08-2009, 4:37 PM
I bought the V-27 years ago. I first ran it with a shop made fence. I then ordered a telescoping fence direct from Incra for less than I could find it anywhere else (at the time, retailers like Rockler and Woodcraft could only sell complete units or "repair" parts and their markup was painful).

The first unit had too much slop in the telescoping rail. Incra was quick to replace it and the new one was only half as bad. I shimmed it with some foil tape so it is true but the telescopeing feature is basically not functional with the fix applied.

I recently drilled some through holes and turned the fence around to present a wider surface to the material. I also stuck on some 320 grit paper and this version is working quite well. The gauge is rock solid, adjusts to the slot for perfect fit and although I check now and again, has never lost it's setup since the original alignment. I have grown to trust the angle setting without question.

So, I think the V-27 is great and have never needed the greater granularity of the other units. Other folks, no doubt love some of the features that I do not require. The fence I think could be anything that is true, stable and meets your particular needs for a miter gauge. I would buy one again but I would skip the fence.

Ed Sallee
05-08-2009, 4:51 PM
I have the 1000SE and rarely use the aluminum telescoping fence that came along with the package. I prefer to use a sacraficial fence made out of birch or maple allowing the much needed protection on the back side of the piece that prevents tear out.

Rick Gooden
05-08-2009, 6:38 PM
I've had an Incra v27 for a couple of years and it is OK. I've had an Osborne EB-3 for a couple of months and have now found my miter gauge of choice. It also fits in your budget.

John Thompson
05-08-2009, 6:38 PM
I've got 2 V 27's.. I put a sacrificial fence on one that will cvoer up to 31". I just recieved a 27"-49" Incra fence (for 3000 unit) I got from Incremental Tools which is direct source from Incra for $54 less 10% sale plus shipping. Totat was around $58 shipped.

So.. if I only had one V 27.. this the where I would go.. V 27 for around $48 on Amazon.. 27"-49" 3000 fence separate from Incremental for $58. BTW.. 27" is closed so it acts the same as the 1000 fence but gives you versatility of up to 48". I didn't get the expensive stop as I can simply clamp one on or make one with a 1/4" hex bolt and some scrap if I want it to slide which isn't necessary.

I do most large carcass so the 48" is important to me. I did make a sacrificial that can be attached to go up to 72". I used it yesterday on some 64" pieces for a hutch.

Good luck...

Sarge..

David DeCristoforo
05-08-2009, 6:57 PM
Not to dwell on the obvious but regardless of what you end up buying, it will not be worth a "hill of beans" if your blade and miter gauge slot are not parallel. Check it!!!!!

Jason White
05-08-2009, 7:04 PM
Avoid the Incra. I've had mine for a couple of years and keep losing the stupid allen-wrench type tool that you need to make the fence longer. The "stop" is also a poor design.

If I had to do it again, I'd get the Kreg or Osborne.

Jason

So I've got a birthday coming up and I was thinking about picking out, er, I mean, asking for a new miter gauge. I was thinking either the Incra v27 or 1000SE. I'm not sure the aluminum face is worth the extra money for the 1000SE when i can attach a sacrificial face to the V27. Thoughts?

BTW, I looked at other gauges, but none of them seemed more compelling for the price. I'd like to keep it around the hundred and lower "range" if possible.

Lee Schierer
05-08-2009, 7:11 PM
I have no experience with either of the two you mentioned, but I really like my Kreg cross cut guide. It has been very accurate from day one and I like the length stop. If you take time to set the miter gauge up according to their directions, the scale on the fence is highly accurate for setting the sliding stop so you can make repetitive cuts.

Bill Huber
05-08-2009, 7:49 PM
Tim, I am not sure when you say others that you looked at the Osborne EB-3.

I have the EB-3 and a V-27 I use them both but I like using the EB-3 the most on the table saw.

I went with the EB-3 because of the way its made, the triangle is very strong and it shows with the EB-3. The stop is good and the long extension is great. It is big and it is heavy when compared to the V-27.

The EB-3 is $109 from Osborne and if you didn't look at them go take a look.

http://www.osbornemfg.com/

Paul Fitzgerald
05-08-2009, 8:02 PM
I considered several other manufacturers, including Kreg, Osbourne, and a couple others, but I ultimately chose to go with the accuracy and solid reputation of Incra.

I started out with the Incra V27, which replaced my stock gauge. I usually kept an 18" sacrificial fence attached. Last week I purchased the Incra 1000SE, which included an 18-31" telescoping fence and a flip stop.

I really like the gauge itself, the fence design, and the flip stop. What I didn't like was the telescoping feature. While it's fairly solid, you must rely solely on your eyesight to properly align the moving part of the fence with the non-moving part of the fence. I felt that sort of defeated the purpose of the 1/32" incremental stop system.

So this week I decided to order a 36" non-telescoping fence from Incremental Tools. Now I have the V27, the 1000SE, an 18-31" telescoping fence, a 36" non-telescoping fence, and a flip stop.

Everything I have is compatible with everything else so I can use any combination I want at my table saw, my bandsaw, or my router table. And with the 1/32" incremental stop system, I know 14 25/32" is always 14 25/32", which I find incredibly useful.

Hope this helps.

Tim Elder
05-08-2009, 8:45 PM
I'm glad I asked. Seems the consensus is that the telescope on the 1000 isn't all that great. Also, I will look at the Osbourne - Delta has a similar gauge, but it's more expensive - I've just glanced over it so far. Does it have preset stops for 90, 45, and 33 degrees? I had looked at the Kreg, but didn't see any advantages over the Incra(s). Also the JessEms were pretty pricey. Who did I miss?

I'm kind of leaning towards the V27 and adding a sacrificial face from Woodcraft:
http://www.woodcraft.com/product.aspx?ProductID=147882&FamilyID=20167
I know it's designed for an aluminum face, but it should be easy to modify. Any opinions (stupid question, eh?)?

scott spencer
05-08-2009, 8:55 PM
I've got a V27 (http://www.epinions.com/review/Incra_V27_Miter_Gauge/content_195368423044), an EB-3 (http://www.epinions.com/review/Osborne_EB_3_Miter_Guide/content_213366771332), and a Jet/Woodhaven Deluxe. All are excellent gauges with different strengths. The V27 is the best bang for the buck IMO but benefits from a fence of some sort, the Woodhaven is the most robust but is the most cumbersome to change angles with, and the EB-3 has the best fence IMO but is also the most complex...it's best to get familiar with all their features and make a choice that suit your needs.

John Thompson
05-08-2009, 8:59 PM
"Avoid the Incra. I've had mine for a couple of years and keep losing the stupid allen-wrench type tool that you need to make the fence longer. The "stop" is also a poor design"... Jason

With all due respect Jason.. I thing Avoid is word that sounds a little heavy because you lose your allen wrench. The wrench is a 3/16" and you can buy one for under $1. I might suggest you drill a hole 7/32" in an adjacent work-bench leg.. work shelf.. etc. and slide the allen wrench in. Or you could simply take a piece of duct tape and slap the key on the back of the Incra fence.

As far as bad design on the stop you might want to elaborate. I didn't purchase one as I have no trouble measuring from the blade to my stop point and quick clamping a block of scrap on. Or.. I quite often cut a story stick my lenght.. then use it from the blade to find the spot I want my piece of square stock stop. Either work and it saves a few dollars on something I feel I really don't need.

As far as the scale on the top.. I simply dis-regard it as I trust the methods above will get me to the promise land without a scale or commercial stop block. If you prefer the Kreg or Osborne that's great.. but many appear to love the Incra for it's own merits as I personally believe it has a few.

Regards...

Sarge..

Myk Rian
05-08-2009, 9:34 PM
Tim, I am not sure when you say others that you looked at the Osborne EB-3.
+1 on the EB-3.

Bill Huber
05-08-2009, 9:54 PM
I'm glad I asked. Seems the consensus is that the telescope on the 1000 isn't all that great. Also, I will look at the Osbourne - Delta has a similar gauge, but it's more expensive - I've just glanced over it so far. Does it have preset stops for 90, 45, and 33 degrees? I had looked at the Kreg, but didn't see any advantages over the Incra(s). Also the JessEms were pretty pricey. Who did I miss?

I'm kind of leaning towards the V27 and adding a sacrificial face from Woodcraft:
http://www.woodcraft.com/product.aspx?ProductID=147882&FamilyID=20167
I know it's designed for an aluminum face, but it should be easy to modify. Any opinions (stupid question, eh?)?

The EB-3 has presets at 15, 22 1/2, 30, and 45 degrees.
The V-27 has stops every 5 degrees with an extra one at 22 1/2.

I use the EB-3 most of the time on the table saw, I can not use it on the router table, sander or band saw. The V-27 gets used on everything. Both units were spot on when I got them and have not changed at all, I do check them now and then with the Wixey just to make sure.

The problem with the EB-3 is when you want to set to something other then a preset, you really need to use something to check it with like the Wixey. The V-27 is great for any degrees you set in 5 degrees increments and just like any of them if you are not at a preset then you have to check the settings.

If you came into my shop and told me I could only have one I guess I would have to keep the V-27 because I can use it on all the tools. But I really like the support of the EB-3 when cutting things up and not using the sled.

Wayne Cannon
05-09-2009, 3:02 AM
The Woodhaven Deluxe miter gauge is my favorite by far, with the almost identical Kreg Precision my second choice. I have several Woodhavens in various configurations, although they are very adaptable and easy to re-configure.

I've been happiest with the Woodhaven Deluxe (http://woodhaven.com/Images/4910lg.jpg) and the almost identical and more heavily advertised Kreg Precision (http://www.kregtool.com/products/images/gallery/prd_39_63.jpg). They are extremely flexible and quick for changing to shorter and longer fence extensions, 3rd-party stops and other accessories, narrow enough to use on a band saw, and reasonably light weight. They can easily be incorporated temporarily into specialized jigs, such as a finger-joint jig, and then back as a basic miter gauge.

The Osborne EB-3 (http://www.osbornemfg.com/close-up.htm) is solid and easy to adjust, but it's also large, heavy, cumbersome, and not easy to extend or modify. It gets pretty limited use.

I don't really care for the Incra 1000SE (http://www.incra.com/images/miter_1000se_zoom.jpg) for a number of reasons -- it's very heavy, has uncomfortably sharp steel teeth, it's too wide for many band saws, the proprietary extrusions and parts make it difficult to modify and find 3rd-party accessories that work, etc. I bought it based on the Incra name, but mine has sat unused for the last several years in favor of the Woodhavens and the Kreg.

Bob Genovesi
05-09-2009, 7:00 AM
I guess I'm the odd man out here but I have the JDS Accu-miter. This is a heavy rock solid unit that's as accurate and repeatable as it gets. It's easy to set up and lock in several predetermined angles using tapered spring loaded pins. The only feature I did not like is the hold down clamp so it's gone now...

http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s225/BobbyG53/Accumain_02.gif

Art Jordan
05-09-2009, 8:50 AM
Have had an EB-3 for over a year . Great piece of equipment and dead on accurate. Built like a tank

harry strasil
05-09-2009, 11:54 AM
Have any of you seen or used this little inexpensive JEWEL.

http://miterset.home.comcast.net/~miterset/index.html

Jeff Ranck
05-09-2009, 12:00 PM
Avoid the Incra. I've had mine for a couple of years and keep losing the stupid allen-wrench type tool that you need to make the fence longer. The "stop" is also a poor design.

If I had to do it again, I'd get the Kreg or Osborne.

Jason

I have the Incra miter 5000 sled and I would really disagree with your characterization of avoid Incra. I realize that everyone has their own opinion - which is great and spurrs competion in design and features so lots of different needs can be served. Even though I recognize the miter 5000 sled is way out of budget for the question asked, based on my experience I would definately buy Incra again. Rock solid, dead accurate. I love mine.

Jason White
05-09-2009, 12:32 PM
I thought we were discussing Incra miter gauges, not the sled.

Jason

I have the Incra miter 5000 sled and I would really disagree with your characterization of avoid Incra. I realize that everyone has their own opinion - which is great and spurrs competion in design and features so lots of different needs can be served. Even though I recognize the miter 5000 sled is way out of budget for the question asked, based on my experience I would definately buy Incra again. Rock solid, dead accurate. I love mine.

Bill Huber
05-09-2009, 12:45 PM
Have any of you seen or used this little inexpensive JEWEL.

http://miterset.home.comcast.net/~miterset/index.html

I looked at that at one time and then just went with the Wixey protractor. I think it is better in the long run because you can use it for so many different things.

Aaron Berk
05-09-2009, 3:03 PM
I love my telescoping fence, and the flip shop stop is my favorite feature. I have yet to need all the positive stops offered. But I have used the 1/10 degree scale to nudge a miter into the right side of 45 degrees more than once. I keep my allen wrench in a holder mounted to my air filter that hangs above the table saw, I've had it up there for the last 3 yrs and never lost it. I would like to order a longer fence for the 1000se.

As for the V27, I'd like one of those for my band saw, and one for my belt sander.

Jason White
05-09-2009, 7:56 PM
Considering that I've owned the Incra miter gauge for a couple of years now, I think I'm in a good position to recommend against buying it. To be clear -- I'm not recommending he avoid ALL Incra products, just the particular miter gauge I have, which is the 1000SE.

Specifically:

- The aluminum fence has never been square to the table. I had to shim it with several pieces of paper.
- You need the special tool (a fancy allen wrench with a plastic handle) to make adjustments to fence length, fence positioning with regard to the blade, shimming square to the saw table, etc.
- Heavy, bulky, and hard to store in a cabinet, drawer or shelf.
- The "flip stop" is a poor design. The white plastic knobs are hard to turn by hand so removing the stop is a pain. Also, depending on the thickness of the stock that you're cutting, the sliding chrome-plated rod that you use for stop micro-adjustments is small and if you're not paying close attention might rotate out of position and screw up the length of your cut (which has happened to me on occasion).

Like I said, in my opinion the OP should avoid this particular Incra product.

JW

"Avoid the Incra. I've had mine for a couple of years and keep losing the stupid allen-wrench type tool that you need to make the fence longer. The "stop" is also a poor design"... Jason

With all due respect Jason.. I thing Avoid is word that sounds a little heavy because you lose your allen wrench. The wrench is a 3/16" and you can buy one for under $1. I might suggest you drill a hole 7/32" in an adjacent work-bench leg.. work shelf.. etc. and slide the allen wrench in. Or you could simply take a piece of duct tape and slap the key on the back of the Incra fence.

As far as bad design on the stop you might want to elaborate. I didn't purchase one as I have no trouble measuring from the blade to my stop point and quick clamping a block of scrap on. Or.. I quite often cut a story stick my lenght.. then use it from the blade to find the spot I want my piece of square stock stop. Either work and it saves a few dollars on something I feel I really don't need.

As far as the scale on the top.. I simply dis-regard it as I trust the methods above will get me to the promise land without a scale or commercial stop block. If you prefer the Kreg or Osborne that's great.. but many appear to love the Incra for it's own merits as I personally believe it has a few.

Regards...

Sarge..

Paul Fitzgerald
05-09-2009, 9:28 PM
To be fair, here is some clarification on your points Jason...

- The aluminum fence has never been square to the table. I had to shim it with several pieces of paper.

My fence was also not square to the table. It is stated in the manual that you may need to shim the fence. I used a strip of foil tape.

- You need the special tool (a fancy allen wrench with a plastic handle) to make adjustments to fence length, fence positioning with regard to the blade, shimming square to the saw table, etc.

It's most certainly not a special tool. It is, as you state, a fancy allen wrench with a plastic handle. Any 3/16" allen wrench, however, will do the trick.

- [...] Also, depending on the thickness of the stock that you're cutting, the sliding chrome-plated rod that you use for stop micro-adjustments is small and if you're not paying close attention might rotate out of position and screw up the length of your cut (which has happened to me on occasion).

The sliding chrome-plated rods do not have anything to do with the micro-adjustment feature of the flip stop. They aren't even required for flip stop use. The long rod and two short rods may be used together or separately on one or both of the flip stop legs to increase the stop's flexibility.

Paul

Tim Elder
05-09-2009, 10:25 PM
I'm leaning towards the v27, the price is so hard to beat. Seems to be plenty sturdy, too. It really doesn't look like it would be in the photos. Both the Woodhaven and Kreg look really nice. If I decide to upgrade the budget, that's where I'll look. I think the Osbourne is a great piece of kit, but it will have to wait until I upgrade my saw. Sounds like it does one thing great, but isn't too versatile.

Just for yucks. Anyone have experience with this gauge? Looks interesting, but I'd be concerned about reliability of the electronics. If that breaks you're basically screwed.

http://www.hartvilletool.com/product/12965

John Thompson
05-09-2009, 10:29 PM
Jason.. I think Paul covered the first two points I mentioned. I simply ask you clarify about the stop for others in lieu of it's a bad design. If we don't have one.. how do we know from just that statement? I didn't purchase the stop for the 3000 fence I added to my V 27 for $54. I see no real need as I simply use a story stick to set up a stop block with a Quik Clamp. It's dead accurate with little chance of error IMO.

Go back and re-read your post I commented on...

Avoid the Incra. I've had mine for a couple of years and keep losing the stupid allen wrench type tool that you need to make the fence longer.

If you had not been the poster.. think about how that might have been interupted. And of course you have an opinion as everyone else. You might have worded it.. I've had one for several years and In my Opionion I would avoid the Incra and here's why... etc. etc..

BTW.. I didn't get the fancy tool with mine the other day.. I got shorted a box inside the box obviously as I was told it would have hardware. I simply walked to my tool box and grabbed a set of allen wrenchs.. The 3/16" is correct. I doubt I will call and request one as any 3/16" will work fine.

Sarge..

Chris Harry
05-09-2009, 10:54 PM
FWIW, Ive been considering these from McMaster: http://www.mcmaster.com/#94052a610/=1t1dgz

Basically presses onto a socket cap screw and turns it into a "thumb screw". With a one-legged L handle, you should have plenty of room to loosen the screws holding the fence, extend the fence, then tighten again. I checked tonight and it only requires a little less than 1/2 turn to take them from tight enough to hold it, to loose enough to extend it.

Note these would probably work on a whole bunch of other Incra products (I have a LS Super System that could use these too)

Frederick Wilt
05-10-2009, 8:56 AM
Hmm...

No JessEm fans?

Tim Elder
05-10-2009, 12:10 PM
Hmm...

No JessEm fans?

Out of the budget.

Craig Nickles
05-10-2009, 1:04 PM
After looking at all these replies................seems to be a matter or personal choice and what you can afford. Kinda like trucks or cars. Some people like Fords and some people Chevy's.

I have the Incra 3000SE and like it very much. Accuracy is the big thing for me and Incra seems to do that right.

Check em all out if possible, and choose the one YOU like best.

JMHO

Matt Follett
05-11-2009, 5:23 PM
I like the length and rigidity, also the adjustments seemded very simple to me. Extremely pleased with it

Frederick Wilt
05-11-2009, 6:26 PM
Out of the budget.

If you get a chance to try one out do so.

They are nice. Sturdy. Accurate. Pretty red color too.

John Thompson
05-11-2009, 6:35 PM
The adjustments got even easier for me today. I stopped by ACE and picked up a Tri head knob with 1/4" threaded male bolt on it about 3/4" long. I knew the the three handles would be a bit too long to clear the table where those Torx screws with allen heads are on the lower back of the fence but.. I've been there before.

I padded the thread and applied a vice-qrip to use as a handle.. then took the Tri star knob to my smaller BS to cut off about 1/4" lenght on each of the 3 prongs to clear the table. Worked like a charm and I wil pick up a couple more tomorrow for the two outer Torx screws on the slide out end of the 27"-49" telescope.

Goodbye 3/16" allen wrench.... ;)

Sarge..