PDA

View Full Version : Storing Router Bits

Jerry Murray
05-08-2009, 2:12 PM
I have a couple of router bits that I bought from Lee Valley. They come in a nice plastic case and each has a plastic base. I don't want to open them up and use the original box as I'm afraid that would dull them.

So how should I store single router bits?

Todd Trebuna
05-08-2009, 2:22 PM
Could you repeat the question, please?

Mike Heidrick
05-08-2009, 2:39 PM
I put mine in a toolbox drawer. Actually two drawers.

Jerry Murray
05-08-2009, 2:47 PM
I put mine in a toolbox drawer. Actually two drawers.

Do you use the same box they came in?

I just don't want to get these things (re:expensive) banged up.

Greg Magone
05-08-2009, 2:51 PM
Do you have any prescription pill bottles? (Empty, of course).

That how I store mine. If there is too much space I wrap a little foam around them for protection.

One of my someday projects is to build a nice case for router bits. Unfortunately, shop projects take me just as long as home projects but don't bring nearly the satisfaction.

Jerry Murray
05-08-2009, 3:02 PM

That how I store mine. If there is too much space I wrap a little foam around them for protection.

One of my someday projects is to build a nice case for router bits. Unfortunately, shop projects take me just as long as home projects but don't bring nearly the satisfaction.

thanks, this might be the trick for a temp solution.

glenn bradley
05-08-2009, 3:38 PM
I don't care for the racks that accept the bit's shaft and leaves you needing to grab the business end to select your bit. I use these

and they go here.

John Coloccia
05-08-2009, 3:44 PM
I usually store my bits in the router. Sometimes, I store them on the floor or behind my bench. The really special bits go in my pocket and are always clean and shiny from the washing machine.

...I should really get some of those plastic thingies.

Dar Lounsbury
05-09-2009, 11:49 PM

I also use the prescription pill bottles. You can see the contents easily. Plenty of room for labels. Containers are available in almost any size. A little foam helps. If you need to take the router bit out of the shop for a job, it has it's own travel container. Price is right.

Dar

Kev Godwin
05-10-2009, 12:52 AM
I drilled pieces of rigid insulation board and friction fitted the shanks into the holes. The rigid insulation boards are stacked into low cost clear "Rubbermaid" type containers. Total cost? - about one dollar each plus tax.

Got several pieces of rigid insulation cutoffs from a construction site and some clear lidded tubs from Dollar General.

Vince Shriver
05-10-2009, 6:41 AM
[QUOTE=glenn bradley;1128188]I don't care for the racks that accept the bit's shaft and leaves you needing to grab the business end to select your bit. I use these

I have a garage full of fishing tackle - but never thought of using those plastic boxes for router bits. GREAT IDEA, thanks.

Paul Saffold
05-10-2009, 7:32 AM
Great. Just what I need. Another excuse to go dumpster diving. :D

Charlie Jones
05-10-2009, 9:07 AM
I use a piece of that foam stuff that florists use to stick flowers in. I cut a piece to fit the drawer and just push the bit shank down in it. Works great.

Barry Nelson
05-10-2009, 9:14 AM
Charlie, its called Oasis

Cliff Rohrabacher
05-10-2009, 11:53 AM
I don't want to open them up and use the original box as I'm afraid that would dull them.

Huh?......

glenn bradley
05-10-2009, 12:05 PM
[QUOTE=glenn bradley;1128188]I don't care for the racks that accept the bit's shaft and leaves you needing to grab the business end to select your bit. I use these

I have a garage full of fishing tackle - but never thought of using those plastic boxes for router bits. GREAT IDEA, thanks.

Clear out plenty. These things multiply.

Greg Hines, MD
05-10-2009, 4:34 PM
I store mine in my router table, on trays with holes drilled in them. I also have a traveling set of bits that I keep in their wooden box in my toolbox, though I rarely use them. I constructed my trays like Norm did.

Doc