PDA

View Full Version : Degreasing R4511 granite top

Mike Pond
05-08-2009, 1:27 PM
Started unpacking the R4511 TS and noticed the granite top has a bit of what appears to be grease on top. If you have the R4511, what did you use to clean off the top after unwrapping?

Bill White
05-08-2009, 3:40 PM
Go to a borg and buy some granite cleaner/sealer. In lieu of that, Windex. I'd seal it if it were mine. NOTHING ACIDIC!!!!!! It will etch the stone. :eek:
Bill

Cliff Rohrabacher
05-08-2009, 5:19 PM
scrape it off with any flat hunk of steel. Pancake flipper would be fine.
Wipe with mineral spirits.

Hey~!! It's granite.

Jim Kountz
05-08-2009, 8:39 PM
Now why in the world would they coat granite with oil. Whats it going to do rust??

Dan Friedrichs
05-08-2009, 9:55 PM
Ok, Mike - I gotta know: Did they cover the top with grease (like they would a cast-iron top), or is there just a little smudged on it from somewhere else?

I would find it awfully funny if they coated the top with grease as though it may rust :)

Cliff Rohrabacher
05-08-2009, 10:26 PM
Now why in the world would they coat granite with oil. Whats it going to do rust??

What did forest gump say: Stupid is as stupid does?

Maybe the spec was to cover all unpainted surfaces so when it went to the goo sprayer he just took it literally?

george wilson
05-08-2009, 10:29 PM
Dry whiting will slowly soak up grease.There might be something better by now,but the dry whiting will draw the grease up out of the surface from some depth if you leave it on there for some weeks. Depends on the mess.

Anyway,that's how they did it in the 18th.C..

Mike Pond
05-09-2009, 7:26 AM
It's actually some kind of oil. Maybe I should just wipe it up with a cloth?

The manual states:
Remove the protective oil that is applied to all unpainted metal surfaces. Use any ordinary household type grease and spot remover.But says nothing about the granite.

Bob Genovesi
05-09-2009, 7:36 AM

Pretty much sums up my thoughts as well.....

Mineral spirits.....