PDA

View Full Version : My Nu Workbench finally (maybe) done

harry strasil
05-08-2009, 1:14 PM
The finished (maybe) Nu Bench with the 5 permanent vises on it, and a coat of neutral Danish Oil, all except the feet.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v81/irnsrgn/nu%20bench/coatedbench050809.jpg

The total step by step build is in the Neanderthal Haven section.

Alan DuBoff
05-08-2009, 4:29 PM
Harry,

Fine looking bench!

James Carmichael
05-08-2009, 5:11 PM
How're you ever gonna secure a board on that thing? Where's the dog holes and holdfasts?;)

Is that more vise hardware I see to the left?

harry strasil
05-08-2009, 5:34 PM
How're you ever gonna secure a board on that thing? Where's the dog holes and holdfasts?;)

Is that more vise hardware I see to the left?

James, I guess you better look closer, there are 39 dog holes in the top and 36 in the apron plus 4 permanent dogs in the Columbian pattern makers vise jaws and 4 hold downs showing in the apron.

The 2 bench screws to the left are what I was gonna originally use for the face vise, but took them off in favor of sliding dowels

GERALD HARGROVE
05-08-2009, 5:54 PM
very nice, looks like you can hold down what every you decide to build.

Marc Casebolt
05-08-2009, 6:41 PM
Harry,

I really admire your no nonsense approach to tools and woodworking. That bench looks like it was made to do work, not just to be admired. Don't get me wrong, it also looks great to me, and I can apreciate any well made bench. I can just see you wailing away on that thing without any concern about getting a ding in it.

On an earlier post of yours you showed pics of another of your benches, and I used some of the methods you showed to hold work. I now have a bunch of dog holes and use wedges to hold stuff. Works great,

I also carefully studied your bow and frame saw posts before making one.

Thanks for sharing,

Marc

John Coloccia
05-08-2009, 7:55 PM
Years ago, there was a guitar I built. Very no nonsense, no frills, funny looking, workhorse. That was my main guitar for a long time, and it incorporated all sorts of features you rarely see combined on one guitar. My buddy nicknamed it "Frankenstrat".

I hereby christen the "Frankenbench". Wear it with pride. Nice.

Bruce Page
05-08-2009, 8:12 PM
Sweet! That bench will be around for a long time.

Is that a wire I see coming out of that grey looking box in the background? :eek:

harry strasil
05-09-2009, 11:26 AM
Yes, Bruce, its a brand new aluminum bench lathe the junkman gave me when he cleaned out the garage of a recently widowed lady.

harry strasil
09-01-2009, 6:59 PM
I finally got around to adding the second face vise on the other side of the NuBench, the post is here. http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?p=1205659#post1205659