PDA

View Full Version : Delta 12 1/2 in PLANER

Jerry Olexa
08-08-2004, 9:01 PM
Have chance to buy DELTA 22-580 12.5 in 2 speed planer @ good price . I've owned many Delta/PC tools over the years but being a hobbyist, I never owned/used a planer and bought my lumber pre-planed. Now that I'm trying to join you "real" woodworkers ,is this a good choice? I also hear its a Heavy "portable" tool. Let me know. I value your advice more than the magazines,etc. Thanks. Jerry:confused:

Joseph N. Myers
08-08-2004, 9:35 PM
Jerry,

I think you'll "love" it. I have the old 12" Delta planer and use it really a lot as I have lots of rough lumber. I also have a 18" Woodmaster but that is real slow compared with the Delta so I uses the Delta maybe 10 times more than Woodmaster.

You'll find lots of uses for the planer and be amazed at how many new uses you'll find for it, i.e., making thin wood, removing stain marks, edge jointing narrow pieces of wood, etc. Its loud so make sure to get ear protection. And it makes lots of wood chips so you could use a dust collector. I added a fairly long one piece board to act as an input/output table to help with the snipes and its been working well.

Best of luck with your new toy.

Regards, Joe

Jim Ketron
08-08-2004, 9:40 PM
Jerry The 22-580 is A 13" planer
I have one and love it! Lowes has them for $229.00
Go get it at that price!
Jim

Tom LaRussa
08-08-2004, 11:06 PM
Jerry The 22-580 is A 13" planer
I have one and love it! Lowes has them for $229.00
Go get it at that price!
Jim
Jerry,

I agree with Jim.

I have the TP400 model, i.e., the 12 1/2 inch, which I picked up for the then extremely low price of 229 at Lowes on closeout. I love it, but now I'm kicking myself that I didn't wait a couple months and get the 22-580, which is now on closeout for that same price.

Of course, if budget is a big concern, (as it is with every purchase I make), then the 400 model will do you great service as well, and it's available at Lowes for some REALLY RIDICULOUS price these days -- something like $159?

Either way, I say grab one or the other before they're all gone!

:)

augie

Tom LaRussa
08-08-2004, 11:10 PM
OOPS! Forgot something!

I also hear its a Heavy "portable" tool.

Yep, it's heavy. But then so is every other "portable" planer out there.

In the context of planers, "portable" seems to mean, "It's possible for one guy to lift it and carry it to the truck." This is in contrast to "floor" planers, which take a fork lift -- or a couple gorillas -- to move.

Tom Sweeney
08-09-2004, 12:18 AM
I have that planer & love it. Maybe the newer Dewalt is a slightly better machine but I doubt you'd notice much if any difference. On the finishing speed you almost don't have to sand the wood when it's done. At the price Lowes is reportedly selling the 22-580 for it might be the tool deal of the year - run - don't walk to the nearest Lowes & if they have it for $229 buy it.

Jerry Olexa
08-09-2004, 8:00 PM
Thanks for your input!! Today I got the "last one" of a Delta 22-580 13" 2 speed planer based on your advice and recos. Now I have to build a Planer table for the new toy errr I mean tool! Thanks for your help!! Jerry:)

Joseph N. Myers
08-09-2004, 9:55 PM
Jerry,

I too got the last 22-580 at my local Lowe's this morning. Thanks for the information.

And now I have three - my old 12" Delta, my 18" WoodMaster and the new one (see my earlier this thread). The new one I'll be keeping in my garage, the 12" will go to the farm where I store most of my wood and the 18" will be used for wider lumber and the molder option (the WoodMaster is one of those 4 in 1 machines). I'm getting ready to put a lot of wood on sale so the extra planer (at the farm) will come in handy.

As far as the 22-580, will be firing it up tomorrow morning and hope that it is half as good as other are saying. I have the dust chute already reserved at the local Porter Cable (50-446, app. $26.00), removed the 12" from my planer table and have the 22-580 already attached.

There is another thread on the forum currently by Michael Cody titled "Lowe's Clearance Delta Items" that listed 6 Delta items that are on sale/closeout. Four people on that thread purchased the 22-580 and their remarks plus others make the thread well worth reading.

Regards, Joe

Jerry Olexa
08-09-2004, 10:41 PM
When I started this thread, I (dumbly) called the delta 22-580 a 12 1/2 in planer. It is of course, a 13" and Im hoping a GREAT one. Sorry for oversight!:D

Joe Mioux
08-10-2004, 6:46 PM
Jerry:

Thanks to you I bought one of these planers early this am online. Now I just have to run into Florissant Mo (STL) and pick it up. My nearest Lowes were already sold out.

Joe

Carole Valentine
08-11-2004, 12:01 AM
You'll love that planer! Use the cutter head lock and be sure your tables are level and you won't get any snipe at all. I start out at 60 cpi and finish the last two passes at 90 cpi and a very small cut. Leaves a really nice surface. You definitely got a deal! I thought I got a deal on mine at the Woodcraft opening in December where I paid about $300!