PDA

View Full Version : Yates American Lathe

Ted Evans
05-08-2009, 10:35 AM
Hello All,

I am new to this group so would some one make me feel really welcome and provide some information for me, please?

I do not do a lot of turning but have an old Yates American TV-12 lathe that I need a belt for and also need to know the spindle size and TPI. The spindle measures 1.080”, however, my thread gauge only goes down to 10 and this is too fine. I am guessing it to be a 6 or 8 but not sure.

I would appreciate any and all information any one would care to provide about this machine.

Thanks.

Bear

Mike Stephens
05-08-2009, 10:46 AM
Not sure if either of these is your lathe but it is all I could find.

http://www.owwm.com/mfgIndex/pubdetail.aspx?id=2258

http://www.owwm.com/mfgIndex/pubdetail.aspx?id=436

:)Welcome. This a great site. With lots of great members who are more then willing to help.

Good Luck,
Mike

Rob Russell
05-08-2009, 10:56 AM
The TPI you can figure out by measuring an inch or 2 and counting the threads.

David Christopher
05-08-2009, 11:40 AM
welcome Ted, pictures.....we need pictures.... if you have a model number we might can help

Dennis Ford
05-08-2009, 11:42 AM
I have a friend who has a Yates American, not sure if it is the same model as yours. The spindle on his is 1-1/8 x 8tpi. That corresponds pretty well with your observations. I suggest that you buy a 1-1/8 x 8 nut and verify that it fits before spending any real money on accessories. If you have an industrial supply store nearby, they will likely have a nut for 2 or 3 dollars. You can also order one from McMaster-Carr, Enco etc.

Ted Evans
05-08-2009, 12:14 PM
Hello Dennis, and all that have responded.

It is a 1 1/8 by 8 spindle, which is a real bummer. I was going to take advantage of the Talon chuck at Hartville but was told they do not have adapters 1 1/8 x 8. I suppose I could build one that would permit me to use the 1 ¼ x 8 but really do not want to take the time it would take to do it at this time.

I will try to post a couple of pictures of the machine. I believe the Model is “TV-12”. I am assuming the V denotes variable speed, which it is.

Anyone here wish to trade a Laguna 16 for part of American machine history? No? Naw, I really didn’t think so.

Thanks to everyone for your input, and BTW, I also need a flat belt for it, approximately 1.0625 wide but have not measured the length yet.

Thanks again.

Bear

David Christopher
05-08-2009, 12:47 PM
maybe these guys can help

http://www.pennstateind.com/store/spindle-adapters.html?

John T Harvey
05-08-2009, 5:44 PM
Ted,
I have a yates american j-170 that uses that same thread. I also bought the talon chuck for it this past December. Hartville tool had a good deal on the chucks then, and then I bought the correct size adapter straight from Oneway. The savings on the chuck paid for the adapter.

John Harvey

Wally Dickerman
05-08-2009, 5:52 PM
Hello Dennis, and all that have responded.

It is a 1 1/8 by 8 spindle, which is a real bummer. I was going to take advantage of the Talon chuck at Hartville but was told they do not have adapters 1 1/8 x 8. I suppose I could build one that would permit me to use the 1 ¼ x 8 but really do not want to take the time it would take to do it at this time.

I will try to post a couple of pictures of the machine. I believe the Model is “TV-12”. I am assuming the V denotes variable speed, which it is.

Anyone here wish to trade a Laguna 16 for part of American machine history? No? Naw, I really didn’t think so.

Thanks to everyone for your input, and BTW, I also need a flat belt for it, approximately 1.0625 wide but have not measured the length yet.

Thanks again.

Bear

If you buy or have a Oneway Talon chuck, Oneway will supply an insert for whatever thread is needed. It's possible that they will cut a special thread for their very excellent faceplates for you. Wouldn't hurt to ask.

Wally

Bill Mitchel
05-08-2009, 7:33 PM
I checked Hartville Tools site and it looks like (according to their site) that they available May 11. Part # is 24430.

Bill

Ted Evans
05-08-2009, 7:35 PM
Hello John,

Yep, I called Oneway earlier today and found out they had the correct adapter so I ordered it from them and the chuck from Hartville. Now I need to find a new belt, YA can get them but they want $70, which I think is too much. Come to think of it, I think everything is too much.

How do you like the 170 and how old is it? The lady at YA told me mine was shipped in 1939.

Thanks again.

Bear

John T Harvey
05-08-2009, 10:02 PM
Ted,
I have never decoded the serial number on my j-170. Just a wild guess would be somewhere in the 1940's to early 1950's. I have a picture of it posted over at owwm.com. I am just getting started in turning, but the chuck has been great to use. My father bought the lathe from a local school board sale in the 1970's. He restored it, and changed the motor from three phase to single phase. Its got all the power I would need in my home shop needs. After he passed away, I inherited it, and have been slowly learning to turn on my own. I have my first set of roughed out bowls drying at this point. My only problem is that there is not a woodturning club close to Ruston, Louisiana. The closest one is well over 100 miles away, which is really not practical for me. But overall, the lathe is a great lathe, and I am sure it will outlast me.

John Harvey