PDA

View Full Version : multi handles whats your favorite

neil mackay
05-08-2009, 8:23 AM
I am wondering how popular the wood turning multi handles are? That is handles such as Vermec. Porforme, Oneway etc

So what do you use?

What diameter does it take?

If you have more than one whats your favourite?

What are its draw backs if any?

Ryan Baker
05-08-2009, 9:43 PM
I haven't used the vermec or proforme, so I can't comment on those. The Oneway/Hosaluk handles are quite nice, steel (or aluminum), hollow, bored on both ends, very expensive. I really like the Trent Bosch handles. They are hollow aluminum, bored on one end with a nice colored cushion grip. They can be filled with BBs or shot to customize the weight and balance. I just got some of the Dave Peebles handles, and they are really nice and with a lower price. They are solid aluminum, bored on one or two ends with a vinyl cover like the Oneways. Kelton handles are steel with a harder plastic spiral wrap, double ended and hollow. Monster tool, etc. There are a lot of choices out there, and most are pretty similar. Lots of ways to build your own too ... or just make wooden handles. Try out a few and figure out what your preference is, because it is a pretty subjective thing.

Most of the choices come in sizes from 3/8 to 3/4 tool diameter, and various lengths. Many tools are double ended, usually with 1/2 on one end and 5/8 on the other. Benefits, of course, are being able to change tools, remove tools for sharpening, change the amount of extension, reverse the tool for transport (if you didn't fill it with shot), etc. The main disadvantage is cost ... and some people just prefer the feel and weight of wood instead.

Burt Alcantara
05-09-2009, 9:33 AM
Not sure what you mean by multi-handles unless you are referring to open end handles. I have a few and like them. I prefer steel over aluminum or wood because of the weight and rigidity. Among those, Kelton gets my vote but as Ryan stated, they are expensive.

I recently began making handles from black pipe available at the home stores. They are available off the shelf in a variety of sizes and widths. If you find a good "associate," they can cut any unthreaded size.

As arthritis advances, my hands tire faster so I've begun to hold the handles under my armpit. I get great grip and leverage and have better control when the ride gets bumpy. However, I don't use both ends. With the longer lengths, I don't have to fill the handle as the weight is just right.

Dave Peebles has the best deal on handles that I've found so far.

Burt

Bernie Weishapl
05-09-2009, 11:24 AM
I use Dave Peebles and the monster handles. They work great.

Steve Schlumpf
05-09-2009, 11:29 AM
Neil - I use Randy's Monster handles! I have one of them filled with BBs and the other filled with #6 lead shot. Very comfortable to use!

http://www.monster-wood-tool.com/wst_page7.html

Paul Engle
05-09-2009, 11:39 AM
I make my own from common parts of off the shelf items for less than 15$ from the hardware store, shot filled and adjustable and removeable for sharpening, my favorite is 1 " dia for my 5/8 thompson bowl gouge. I have one that I glued up a wood handle on and fits my hand very well . search on SMC for pipe collet handles.

David Walser
05-09-2009, 6:38 PM
Neil,

I've posted before about how impressed I was with the Serious Lathe at this year's Desert Woodturning Roundup. Serious also makes some very impressive turning tools, including a handle to hold those (and other's) tools. Their tool handle features a camlock that allows you to loosen or tighten the tool into the handle with only a 1/8" turn of the lock. This makes it very easy to shorten or lengthen the tool or to replace one tool with another. The handle uses collets to fit different sized tool shanks, so it can be used with just about any tool you might have.

Here's a link: http://www.seriouslathe.com/woodturning-tools.php

Note: I don't work for or have any interest in Serious. I'm not even a satisfied customer (having never purchased anything from them, yet). I'm only mentioning the handle because I thought it interesting.

Burt Alcantara
05-09-2009, 6:42 PM
Camlock = $90 = ouch!

Ryan Baker
05-09-2009, 8:00 PM
That serious handle looks like the Kelton Ultimate (I think that is what it was called).

Jason Solodow
05-09-2009, 9:29 PM
I have the Oneway.. Love it..well balanced..