PDA

View Full Version : Performax 22-44 Plus - Cabinet Completed

Jim Becker
08-08-2004, 8:52 PM
Not long ago, I posted my "first impressions" of the Performax 22-44 Plus drum sander that "moved into" my shop this month. You may recall that I chose to build my own cabinet rather than purchase the open or closed stands available from the manufacturer. I did this to maximize storage as well as reduce cost...I only had to buy the casters, hinges and a few carriage bolts; everything else was "in stock" from previous projects, particularly the kitchen renovation from last summer. I would not consider this a "fine woodworking project", but it worked out as good or better than I intended and only took about a combined 8 hours to complete start to finish...including interruptions.

This sander is rather large, stretching 40" deep and about 24" wide without the optional infeed/outfeed tables. Therefore, my cabinet has a top sized a generous 40" x 24" and made of two layers of 3/4" plywood, faced with a dyed poplar strip and covered with a piece of laminate that Dr SWMBO and I brought home from the 'borg long ago when we were thinking about a "minor" kitchen update, rather than what we actually did. I found it buried in the sheet goods storage bin behind the plywood I used for the rest of the cabinet. The carcass is made of 3/4" birch/maple ply from HD (the cheap stuff they were blowing out a year ago for about $28) and uses poplar for the face frame. No fancy hinges or doors...just plywood slabs and simple butt hinges mounted on the face. They work. They were inexpensive. The whole thing got an application of BLO to brighten it up and that's about that. Oh, the casters are from Lee Valley...these are my favorites and I have them on both my router table and our kitchen island. Very sturdy, dual locking units with nice rubber.

One interesting thing about this sander is that there is no real provision (that I could find) for fastening it down to a able surface. You'll note in one of the pictures that I just used a few under mount sink tabs that I had lying around to lock it in place on the table surface. There is also a rib down the center of the cabinet top to provide additional support for the 200+ lb machine and table top. All other pictures are pretty much self-explanatory...

Jim Becker
08-08-2004, 8:53 PM

Terry Hatfield
08-08-2004, 9:05 PM
j,

Super nice!!! I sure wish I had the 22-44. My 16-32 is a good machine, but it sure would be nice to be ale to do 22" in one pass. Interesting that there is no "provided" mounting locations. What were they thinking??? How is attached to the factory base?? Nice save on the mounting though!!

Enjoy,

t

Jim Becker
08-08-2004, 9:38 PM
Terry, I'm not worried about it moving when sanding--it be a very heavy machine--but I didn't want to chance it getting knocked around while moving it around the shop. The little thingies I used hooked right over the brackets that hold the optional infeed/outfeed tables to the tool and it isn't going anywhere, now...

Mike Cutler
08-08-2004, 9:49 PM
Jim. Nice cabinet! Nice Sander too. Everything looks great! About the lack of mounting you spoke of, I also just got a performax drumsamder(16-32). I'm not sure how much difference there is between the 2 machines, but deep in each corner of the drumsander support, on the bottom, there was a 15 mm recessed thread that the shipping bolts went into. It wasn't obvious. I had to flip over the entire sander to find them. The instruction for mounting were in the stand assy box, and I still had a little trouble locating the holes. Maybe it's the same with your, but if not those table clips on the infeed/outfeed tables were a good idea.
Once again, nice job, and now I have ideas on how to build a table to set mine up on.

Jim Becker
08-08-2004, 9:53 PM
I'm not sure how much difference there is between the 2 machines, but deep in each corner of the drumsander support, on the bottom, there was a 15 mm recessed thread that the shipping bolts went into. It wasn't obvious. I had to flip over the entire sander to find them. The instruction for mounting were in the stand assy box, and I still had a little trouble locating the holes. Maybe it's the same with your, but if not those table clips on the infeed/outfeed tables were a good idea.
Hmm....that 'splains the four extra bolts in the package... :o :D I never thought to look on the bottom; but then again, it would not be "easy" to do so, anyway unless I were to get someone's pet gorrilla to come over an help lift it! :rolleyes:

Dick Parr
08-08-2004, 9:57 PM
Nice cabinet and sander Jim.

Jim Ketron
08-08-2004, 10:00 PM
Nice job Jim!
If I ever get done with the shop I need to build a cab for my Jet Mini lathe the bed ext finaly arrived and Im going to build one simmalar to yours with some drawers in it.
Jim

Michael Ballent
08-08-2004, 10:03 PM
Looks pretty good. Making the cabinet yourself certainly saved yourself some bucks especially since you had most of the supplies on hand :D That sander is on my hit list of tools to get... Once all the other projects are done ;)

John Miliunas
08-08-2004, 11:00 PM
I'd say that both, the sander AND the stand will do an upstanding job for you! :) And just think of all the extra sandpaper you can get with the $$ you saved by building it yourself! :cool:

Kelly C. Hanna
08-09-2004, 7:26 AM
Nicely done Jim!! Time to sand sumthin' BIG!

Ken Fitzgerald
08-09-2004, 8:25 AM
Great Job, Jim!

Dave Dionne
08-09-2004, 8:32 AM
Great sander and cabinet, I am hoping to get a (16-32) after the first of the year. For know I will live vicariously through your and others shops on the forum.

Dave

JayStPeter
08-09-2004, 8:58 AM
Looks like a good productive weekend. I look forward to more reviews after putting it through it's paces on a project or two.

Jay

Chris Padilla
08-09-2004, 10:32 AM
Nice work on the stand. I'm sure I'll be heading there one of these days but I still need to work on the shop!

Daniel Rabinovitz
08-09-2004, 10:46 AM
Jim,
Very nice stand
A man who thinks like my wonderful brain.

Mine was made for the 16/32
Daniel :D

nic obie
08-09-2004, 2:39 PM
Hi Jim,

Good job on the stand. If I end up buying a 22-44 I think I'll make my own stand too. No use giving up all that storage space.

After seeing the pics I now realize how BIG the thing is. It really takes up alot of room. Casters are a must.

Can't wait to read about how it performs ( ;) ) on wide stuff.