PDA

View Full Version : Ash HF oops

Bill Bolen
05-07-2009, 10:56 PM
I was cleaning out the ridges on the interior with my Sorby swan neck and the round cutter. Boy that thing does a smooth job. Guess I did not get the fine shavings out and the Sorby jammed in the piece, pulled the whole thing loose from my sn2 and blew the lip to 1K pieces. I cut a maple plug and epoxied it in place and re turned the lip. The join was glaring so I textured the ring and added red paint, looked bad so I tried blue. Has one or two coats of poly as I am trying to decide if I should stay with this color or another. Yup, I did not use my steady on this. If I had I think it would have survived in tact..Bill..

Bernie Weishapl
05-07-2009, 11:42 PM
Bill I would leave it. That is a beauty and a great save.

Aaron Hamilton
05-08-2009, 8:22 AM
Is this poly applied while the lathe is moving or after removal and did you use the Beall to get that wicked shine?

Love the peice. Great move to save it. I wanna try one of these hollowforms so bad.

Gary Herrmann
05-08-2009, 9:29 AM
Don't change anything. Great save.

Ben Brown27
05-08-2009, 9:36 AM
Looks like a good save to me. If you hadn't said it was a save, I would have thought it intentional.

Bill Bolen
05-08-2009, 11:17 AM
Aaron,poly was applied off the lathe but it only has two coats. Don't know if I will be doing more to it or not...Bill..