PDA

View Full Version : So... we need bookstores for.....

Mitchell Andrus
05-07-2009, 10:24 PM
I went to a Borders bookstore to pick up 2 books for the Mrs. for mother's day. They don't have them, but they can order them.

OK, I said.

So the sales girl walked around the counter and entered my info on their website and placed the order for me.

On their website.

On the internet

At the BOOKSTORE!

Joe Pelonio
05-07-2009, 10:27 PM
I thought I read that they were going out of business?

Dave Lehnert
05-07-2009, 11:00 PM

Hearing the same thing. Would be out by years end.

Clifford Mescher
05-07-2009, 11:21 PM
I heard they might last till 2010. They were accused of being too politcal last fall. Lost many customers. Clifford.

John Keeton
05-08-2009, 6:14 AM
"So... we need bookstores for..... "Well, I was going to say so one could look at the book one saw on the internet to decide if it should be purchased, but I guess that idea is out!!

I rarely go to a bookstore for pretty much this reason. Everytime I do, they don't have what I am after. It is nice to look through all the magazines, though, and occasionally find something I need.

Cliff Rohrabacher
05-08-2009, 9:11 AM
Went to a Borders a while back.

The missus and I had a pile of books that came up to over two hundred dollars.

They couldn't process the order.
First it was they had to phone in the order 'cause policy was no orders over a hundred without authorization, then they couldn't find the chick with the magical telephone number, then they wanted to ring it up in lesser increments to skirt the new rule, then it was they were afraid the the registers would lock up when the machines realized what they were up to.

What was it Forrest Gump said: "Stupid is as stupid does."

Belinda Barfield
05-08-2009, 9:31 AM
For the atmosphere. For the sheer joy of holding a book in your hands. For the delight in meeting someone who shares a passion for the same author as you.

I'm not talking about the chain stores, but the local small business stores. When visiting San Diego years ago I spent an afternoon in the Upstart Crow, at that time one of the best bookstores I had ever entered.

Chris Kennedy
05-08-2009, 9:34 AM
They couldn't process the order.
First it was they had to phone in the order 'cause policy was no orders over a hundred without authorization, then they couldn't find the chick with the magical telephone number, then they wanted to ring it up in lesser increments to skirt the new rule, then it was they were afraid the the registers would lock up when the machines realized what they were up to.

Wow -- that is incredibly stupid.

I have found that Borders, like many chains, can vary widely. The Borders in Ann Arbor (where Borders started) was really good when I lived there. The Borders by my Dad's -- also pretty good. The one here -- not so much.

As for why we need bookstores -- it is hard to browse for new books and authors online. But just about anytime I know of a book I want, I pretty much order it online.

Cheers,

Chris

David G Baker
05-08-2009, 11:09 AM
When I first started working in San Francisco there was a used book store right across from where I worked, I would spend at least an hour a week browsing the shelves. I am an avid reader and can't really afford to pay retail due to the volume of reading that I do so I hit the garage sales and stock up.
I have never been in a Borders book store but frequently visited Barnes & Noble and Crown Books when I lived in California. If I do buy new books I go to Amazon or Ebay.

Conrad Fiore
05-08-2009, 11:12 AM
Mitchell,
The staff at Borders or B&N has always been extremely helpful to me when I've had to purchase books for the kids for school reading assignments. I would never be able to order online and get the edition that was unspecified by the teacher, but the store staff always seems to know which one is required. So, I make a call to the store, discuss with the salesperson my needs and they either put the book aside for p/u, or order the copy and call me when it's in. Saves me a lot of headaches to be able to speak to a knowledgeable person instead of mis-ordering online.

Mitchell Andrus
05-08-2009, 12:08 PM
For the atmosphere. For the sheer joy of holding a book in your hands.

I hear you. It's going to be a shame when all you can do is download a book onto a laptop or reader tablet.

I never thought I'd hear my wife make nice noises about those, but she's begining to 'get it' about the trees, energy, convenience, etc....

The PDA generation is starting to take over.

Scott Shepherd
05-08-2009, 12:30 PM
For the atmosphere. For the sheer joy of holding a book in your hands. For the delight in meeting someone who shares a passion for the same author as you.

I'm not talking about the chain stores, but the local small business stores. When visiting San Diego years ago I spent an afternoon in the Upstart Crow, at that time one of the best bookstores I had ever entered.

Have you been watching Sleepless in Seattle again? :D Sorry Belinda, couldn't resist :)

Rod Sheridan
05-08-2009, 1:28 PM
One of my favourite privately owned bookstores has a nice area to sit in, have a mug of tea, and read.

Browsing through the aisles of books is it's own reward as well.

Unfortunately I have a book addiction, I just went to the Toronto antique book fair and spent some money.

It's an evil event, last year I purchased a complete set of Victor Hugo's books, printed 1898......That's why my next machinery purchase is delayed:D.........Rod.

Dennis McGarry
05-08-2009, 1:49 PM
More then a book store, I miss the old Paperback book exchange places.

There used to be one in town, I would spend hours in there, looking through the 100's of used books. No money needed, just bring in some, get credit and take some home..

Belinda Barfield
05-08-2009, 2:29 PM
Have you been watching Sleepless in Seattle again? :D Sorry Belinda, couldn't resist :)

Steve, would you believe I have not seen that movie? I've watched Roadhouse about 172 times, all of the Terminator movies lots of times, all of the Bond movies, Texas Chainsaw Massacre (both old and new), and Razorback, but somehow I missed Sleepless in Seattle. :rolleyes:

I try to hit every estate sale that I can just for the books. The book exchange right down the street from me closed about a year ago and man, I miss that place. I tried shopping for used books at the flea market, but don't have the patience to deal with some of the other shoppers. Luckily, a brand spankin' new library branch is being built within walking distance of my house. Yippee! There are a few books I must buy, though. Robert Jordan's Eye of the World series for example. Sadly, we'll never know exactly how he would have ended it.

Clifford Mescher
05-08-2009, 5:48 PM
I know of people who spend the whole day in Borders just reading magazines and browsing and then walk out without purchasing anything. They treat the place like it is a free library. Mighty tough to stay in business that way. Clifford.

Dave Lehnert
05-08-2009, 6:23 PM
I know of people who spend the whole day in Borders just reading magazines and browsing and then walk out without purchasing anything. They treat the place like it is a free library. Mighty tough to stay in business that way. Clifford.
That is the way around here. I know of on couple that goes every Friday night. They dog ear the book they are reading so they can continue the next week.
I was in Borders today looking for some books. I like to buy local but they want full list price for EVERYTHING. I can get them on Amazon for 1/2 or better.

Mitchell Andrus
05-08-2009, 8:14 PM
Mitchell,
The staff at Borders or B&N has always been extremely helpful to me when I've had to purchase books for the kids for school reading assignments.

You've no doubt been to the one on Rt 10 just north of 287. One of the better ones around.

Phil Thien
05-08-2009, 10:33 PM
The large chains (and to a lesser degree, Amazon) have crushed the small (and not so small) independents. Now the independents are losing out to Amazon.

Pretty soon the only place to get books is gonna be online, and the library. I like the library. In fact, public and private libraries (as well as remaining independent bookstores) are my favorite attractions when I travel.

Jim Mattheiss
05-08-2009, 10:37 PM
I also miss the used paperback book stores. There used to be on in the Union Market (NJ) before it became a Home Depot. There used to be one in Lavalette NJ on the Boulevard (Northbound). Beach reading at it's finest. Pick it out, pay 50 cents. Read it and return it for 10 or 15 cents credit.

I too have a book habit. I only collect paperbacks by certain authors and pick them up at garage sales. I don't have enough room to store all the books I'd collect. I can re-read a book or just pick a book up, open it in the middle and read. It drives my wifew crazy.

The local Visiting Nurse Association has a large Rummage Sale twice a year with a HUGE used book area. All good condition current paperbacks organized by Author or subject. Paperbacks 50 cents and hardcover a dollar.

Since our local library expanded I've been working my way thru it collection, and they are part of several local library networks so I can "order" a book over the internet and they will call me when it's delivered to my local branch. They used to "rent" New Releases for 25 cents a day. I could read the book in 2 nights but would keep it a few days more to up their "income". The discontinue that practice eventually. Not sure why . . .

I have gone to several B&N's looking for in stock woodworking books and have not found any. I have a $20 gift card and can't find anything to spend it on. . .

Cheers

Jim

Brian Brown
05-09-2009, 8:55 AM
"So... we need bookstores for....." Where else are you going to go to sit and drink overpriced coffee? Oh yeah, Starbucks et al.

Colin Giersberg
05-09-2009, 9:17 PM
I personally would rather read a book in my hands, than try to read a book online. The constant scrolling back and forth gets to be a pain, and it is a lot quicker to flip a page either forward or backward, than waiting for the next page to finish downloading. And sometimes the dang ol 'puter will lock up and stop dead in its ttacks. I have never seen a book do that.
I go to Barnes and Noble as well as Books a Million quite often, and I see people sitting in the lounge reading books that they have no intention of buying. While I do peruse various magazines and look for any books that might interest me, I tend to buy more magazines than books, but I have bought several books in recent weeks to help me with photography, and for general interest.

Regards, Colin

Greg Peterson
05-09-2009, 9:30 PM

On this point, I agree with you Cliff. Perhaps the magazines should be behind the counter? I'm guilty of 'browsing' a magazine or two in my younger days, course I bought plenty too.

SWIMBO is forever hauling books back and forth from the library. She is always buried in a book.

We have the worlds largest used book store, Powell's Books. The main store is a city block. That's a lot of books. It's a nice place to spend a cold, wet winter afternoon. Just requires tremendous will power. Just say NO!

Cliff Rohrabacher
05-10-2009, 11:29 AM
Shipping costs are outrageous.

I was on Amazon yesterday. Wanted a few things. Got 'em in my cart.
Went to check out. $70.00 worth of stuff and they wanted $29.00 to ship 'em.

I emailed 'em and told 'em I was with going brick and mortar, thank you very much.

Tim Morton
05-10-2009, 12:42 PM
There is a pretty nice bookstore up the road from me..
http://www.northshire.com/

Stop in and have some lunch or just some coffee and you can spend hours in there...parking is a pain, but its a nice afternoon if you are shopping in Manchester.

Ben Franz
05-10-2009, 12:52 PM
USED bookstores and libraries - two of my favorite places. Barnes and Border-Bucks not so much. I live out in the semi-sticks with very limited local retail. An adventurous guy just opened a used book store here and I applaud him for it. He buys used books for credit against purchases (up to 50% of the price). I got rid of the odd book stack there and picked up some astronomy and woodworking books for very reasonable prices. Don't know if he will survive in this area in a bad economy but I welcome the effort.

David G Baker
05-10-2009, 2:57 PM
Wish there was a used book store in my area that would take trades as credit towards other books. The LOML and I go through a lot of books in a year. We put them in Avon boxes and donate them to the local library. The library does have an annual book sale to help support it so some good does come from our donations.
There is an Internet book trading site but the postage is more than I pay for the books at local garage sales.

Frank Hagan
05-10-2009, 3:23 PM
Shipping costs are outrageous.

I was on Amazon yesterday. Wanted a few things. Got 'em in my cart.
Went to check out. $70.00 worth of stuff and they wanted $29.00 to ship 'em.

I emailed 'em and told 'em I was with going brick and mortar, thank you very much.

Books are always eligible for free shipping if you spend more than $25, so I don't know what happened here. You might have chosen one of the "third party vendors" who sells through Amazon and isn't part of the "Super Saver Shipping". You didn't specify that the things in your cart were books, but even a lot of tools, etc. are eligible for free shipping when your order total is over $25.

Borders has an almost weekly 40% off coupon if you get on their mailing list. You get an email twice a week with specials and coupons. I find going to a brick and motar store helps if you are looking for a certain genre ... say a diet cookbook ... and want to compare the books side by side. With the 40% off coupon, its as cheap as Amazon.com.

We have a nice Barnes and Noble and Borders here. There are also some independent booksellers, but their prices are high. The used booksellers in Ventura charge more than the original list price for books; they aren't really collectibles yet, but they feel any book now out of print should command a higher price.

In the end, price wins out when the product is exactly the same. There's no quality argument for a small bookseller over a larger one, but there is a sense that we want to keep small businesses active. That appeals to me, but not enough to pay 40% more for the same item.

Pat Germain
05-10-2009, 7:20 PM
The big book stores allow, and even encourage, browsing because it boosts sales in the coffee shop. The markup at the coffee shop is much higher than on the books. So, I by a coffee, browse and don't feel at all guilty. If I find a book or magazine I particularly like, I'll buy it.

Barnes & Noble has a discount card. It's costs $25, which sucks, but it will more than pay for itself during Christmas shopping alone for me. It's also good for a discount at the coffee shop. So it works full circle. :p

"E-Books" may get bigger, but we're a very long way from them replacing the good ole book. I just can't imagine curling up by the fire on a stormy night with an E-book. Or sitting under a shade tree on a beautiful day with an E-book. :rolleyes:

There used to be a very large used book store in Downtown Colorado Springs. I like it because I collect Disney books and I could get them for just a few dollars. People buy them on vacation then later wonder why and dump them. Which is great for me. ;)

That book store relocated to an industrial warehouse. They do almost all of their business online now; probably so they can make money on shipping. Although, you can still walk in. They just don't encourage it. Probably because they don't make any money on shipping. :p

You can browse that used bookstore online here:

http://www.thebookbroker.net/

Clifford Mescher
05-10-2009, 7:52 PM
Maybe because I frequent a chain store that has alot of older (read frugal) customers, the coffee shop does not do very well. Magazine sales are way down and the crowd there is sparse. Our store was built recently and seems to have less comfortable chairs then some of the other established stores. Maybe they are getting wiser?
I just hope it weathers this recession because it is less then 2 miles from my home. Clifford.

Wes Bischel
05-10-2009, 11:31 PM

See, I was going to say 84 Charing Cross Road. Good book and movie!:D

Wes

Cliff Rohrabacher
05-11-2009, 12:19 PM
USED bookstores and libraries - two of my favorite places..

I used to be big on those. Maybe times changed maybe I changed but, it seemed I was constantly having to "ignore" other people's squished boogers and food stains. So I don't pick up used books any more.

Clifford Mescher
05-11-2009, 1:33 PM
I used to be big on those. Maybe times changed maybe I changed but, it seemed I was constantly having to "ignore" other people's squished boogers and food stains. So I don't pick up used books any more.
And what makes you think that you are avoiding UFO's ( unidentified food objects) by buying "new" books? People are eating and "browsing" all day long. Clifford.