PDA

View Full Version : Forrest - Exceeds my expectations

Leigh Betsch
05-07-2009, 10:20 PM
I decided to buy a Forrest narrow kerf WWII with a custom dovetail grind. So I called on Monday and placed my order. The guy that took my order said he would have one custom ground to the 11.5*. I asked how long it would take, he said best he could do was to get it ground by Friday and express ship, I turned down the express shipping. I said guess I wouldn't be cutting dovetails this weekend. That was it, no big deal I would just wait until next week to cut my dovetails. So today, Thursday, the bade shows up Priority Mail. WOW, order on Monday, get it custom ground and delivered on Thursday. Nothing ever gets to South Dakota the same week you order it! I going to call them tomorrow and thank them for going the extra mile. The only thing I can figure is he got my blade in the front of the line and shipped it out Monday afternoon. Gotta love doing business with folks like that.

jason lambert
05-08-2009, 1:13 PM
They are a great company. I have had nothing but good experances with them as well. Oh yea they make one great blade also, will never use anything else.

Peter Quinn
05-08-2009, 7:51 PM
Good to hear. Most of the Forrest post's I've read lately have been a bit less complimentary. I love my Forrest WWII blade and have yet to use any thing better. Good to hear their custom service is on point as well. I could drive there in 1 1/2 hours, wonder if I could order a custom blade and tell them "I'm on my way down, will it be ready when I get there?":D

I used a new Forrest Dado on the slider at work last week, not sure if it was custom or not, but it needed to be a 30MM bore, 10" Dia i think? Anyway, it produces the flattest smoothest bottom I have ever seen from a dado stack. Really quite spectacular.

Enjoy that blade.

Chris Barnett
05-08-2009, 8:45 PM
The 10 inch std. thk. WWII on Amazon was recently $76, but the last two did not have the quality of earlier blades. Sounds different too but I cannot see a discrepancy with older blade. Considering the first post above, perhaps I need it reground. Even my blade with chipped teeth due to interference with hardened drywall screw sounds and cuts better than brand new blades, but afraid to use it.

george wilson
05-08-2009, 10:32 PM
Chris,are the tops of the teeth on your new blade ground to a polish? That alone makes a big difference. I hope they haven't gone to using a coarser grit diamond wheel.

Philip Johnson
05-08-2009, 11:30 PM
I have used nothing but forrest for the last 10 years and have been real happy with them. I now need a new blade and dado set I hope their quality has not changed. I'm just having a bit of trouble paying that much for a dado blade set but feel I would not be happy with anything else.

Chris Barnett
05-09-2009, 1:59 PM
The damaged blade has the highly polished mirror tooth tops and another new blade does not have mirror tops. Have a few others with the protective covering still on the teeth which do not appear to have polished tops; the damaged blade is the oldest. Guess polishing might be the answer. Maybe the hardened screw polished the teeth as they went by :D... but :(.

Bruce Wrenn
05-09-2009, 9:27 PM
Because Forrest shipped your blade priority mail, you got it in two days. If they had used UPS instead, it would have been a week. Chalk one up for the post office.

Leigh Betsch
05-09-2009, 11:02 PM
The shipping was fast but the most impressive thing was the sales guy took my comment about not cutting dovetails on the weekend to heart and got it shipped out the same day, instead of Friday.
I don't know about the polished teeth. I have three WWII's, one new the others several years old, none of them have polished teeth, just a fine grind finish.