PDA

View Full Version : Grizzly 513x2

Dave Lehnert
05-07-2009, 10:04 PM
I have read all the reviews on Sawmill and everyone seem to think highly of the saw.
But doing a little poking around on the web at other forums, not many have much to say about it. Seem like no big deal.

So if you have owned the saw long enough to put a few miles on it. Are you still excited today as you were when new?

You know the old saying. "you get what you pay for" The Grizzly seems to be too good to be true for the price. Am I wrong?

John Keeton
05-07-2009, 10:28 PM
Dave, we have communicated a little on the 513X2. It has been a superb saw for me. Does everything I have asked of it. I just got through resawing some 11" curly maple, and some 10" walnut - like a hot knife through butter. It is quiet, smooth, and dependable. Can't say enough - I would do it again, and wouldn't even shop other saws.

jerry nazard
05-07-2009, 10:41 PM
It is an amazing saw. It is a great value. I would buy it again with no comparison shopping.

glenn bradley
05-07-2009, 10:46 PM
I'm with Jerry. Just re-sawed some 10" ash and 8" walnut. Like buttah.

Kinda like the 1980 Toyota Corolla, the 1971 Malibu or Grizzly's G0490 series jointers; every now and then just the right mix of quality, reliability and price come together.

Mike Lipke
05-07-2009, 11:17 PM
I hate to tell you this, but that saw is "permanently out of stock".
It is going to be replaced with a variable speed model.

glenn bradley
05-07-2009, 11:39 PM

Interesting. Where did you hear this? All three models appear in the latest flyer I received offering free shipping and you can add them to your cart online and start checkout. Does it tell you at the last minute that their history?

Tri Hoang
05-07-2009, 11:57 PM
I think it's a good saw for the money. I'm very happy with mine in term of performance. I hate the plastic handles, though.

Dave Lehnert
05-08-2009, 12:10 AM
Interesting. Where did you hear this? All three models appear in the latest flyer I received offering free shipping and you can add them to your cart online and start checkout. Does it tell you at the last minute that their history?

I e-mailed Grizzly CS to get the low down. Will post here the info.

Jason Beam
05-08-2009, 12:11 AM

Really? Where'd you hear this?

It's odd since they just came out with the G0513x2b - which has an electric motor brake. And it's already got 2 speeds. I can't imagine the point of a variable speed one.

I don't mean to doubt you, but that just doesn't sound right. Are you sure it was the G0513x2 they were talking about?

Dave,

I've had mine now since November and I've run all sorts of stuff through it. Aside from the fence's handle location and the 22 second spin-down time, I have absolutely no complaints. The new model with the motor brake is something I lust after. I'd love it if they had a retrofit for the 513x2.

It's been through 12" solid cherry, no problem. NO problem. I mean zero. Saw handled it just fine.

I wouldn't mind if the blade guides didn't need an allen wrench to adjust, but i think that's par for the course on any bearing-style guides anyway. Minor gripe, but I'm spoiled by my All-Thumb-Screw guides on my Jet 14" saw.

I can't say enough good things about this saw, really. I'm a fan. A big fan. :)

Shiraz Balolia
05-08-2009, 12:16 AM

This is not true.

Dave Lehnert
05-08-2009, 12:26 AM
This is not true.

Who needs customer service when we have Mr. Balolia.

You are just not going to let me keep my tax return are you? LOL!!!

glenn bradley
05-08-2009, 2:59 AM
Who needs customer service when we have Mr. Balolia.

You are just not going to let me keep my tax return are you? LOL!!!

+1 on the brake. If they'd offer a retrofit, I'd go for it. Spend wisely ;-)

John Keeton
05-08-2009, 6:11 AM
The comments on the brake are interesting, and I have seen these opinions in other threads. I guess it just never has bothered me that the blade runs for so long, which would seem to be a symptom of an extremely low friction co-efficient. When I am done sawing - I am done and move on to another machine. And it is producing about zero noise, particularly when the DC is running anyway. Unlike a miter saw, I don't use the blade on the bandsaw as a cutting guide.

Not doubting what everyone says on the brake. It obviously is an issue since Griz came out with the new model, but how does that cause a problem for you all. Just wondering what I am missing.

I suppose the two speeds would be nice, but again, I haven't missed that feature either.

Now, the thumb screw idea on the guides would be nice.

Anthony Whitesell
05-08-2009, 8:03 AM
I also have the G0513x2. It's my first real bandsaw so I don't have much to compare it to (saying it works better than a 9" three-wheel craftsman isn't much of a comparison hahaha). I love the saw. It was ready to go right from the crate. I'm still working on finding just the right blade(s) (TPI and manufacturer) for what I do with the saw. Larger would be OK (19" vs 17") and a mechanism to slow the blade down would also be nice. Those cast iron wheels it certainly builds a lot of momentum.

I am definately not sorry about this purchase and based on the information and $$$ I had at the time, I would do it again.

Jim Kountz
05-08-2009, 8:11 AM
This saw is one of my favorite tools in the shop. I cant imagine a better saw for the money and like John said if I were looking to buy today I wouldnt even look at other saws. It cuts smooth a glass, can resaw up to 12" (and yes it can do it just fine, its not just rated at 12" for hype) Its quiet plenty of power and setup was straight forward and simple enough.
Ive run 3/16 scrolling blades all the way up to 1" resaw blades and the saw doesnt care, it just does its thing. I did find however that a 3/4" resaw blade works just as well and it a little cheaper although not much.
You wont be dissappointed.

Jim Kountz
05-08-2009, 8:13 AM

Ridiculous.

Mike Lipke
05-08-2009, 9:44 AM
Sorry about my apparent dyslexia. I meant the G0531

Dave Avery
05-08-2009, 9:51 AM
I have one with a 3/4" Lenox Trimaster blade and I can't imagine a bandsaw being any better at resawing..... smooth <1/16" thick slices all day long......

John Thompson
05-08-2009, 10:34 AM
I don't have the saw and am happy with the 18" I do have but.. I read a complaint here from two different people (Jason B.. John K) about allen head screws used to hold the blade guides in being a PITA. I couldn't agree more about this being a pain as my BS came with them also.

So I have a question for all of you that have a BS with allen screws to hold the guide adjustments and this would pertain to other BS's with them. If you guys are saavy enough to set up a band-saw.. get it tracking properly and get great re-saws from the machine.....

Why don't you simply unscrew one of the allen heads.. idenify the size or call Grizzly for the size.. go down to ACE Hardware to the misc. bins of thumb screws or T handle male bolts attached and purchase 6 or 7 for under $12? My 18" BS came with allen heads but I took care of this the second day I had it.... you can too.

BTW.. the allen heads are probably M6 as a number of the Pacific Rim saws I have gone over are. But.. that is not a fact and perhaps Shiraz could shed some light on the size or sizes in case not all are the same.

Just a thought for you guys to consider in lieu of wishing it had..... ;)

Hopefully everyone will interpret what I just said as it is intended.. simply a quick fix resulting in a even better BS with a minimum of effort required.

Sarge..

Mike Lipke
05-08-2009, 10:42 AM
Mine has 10mm hex head bolts to adjust the guides. I'm not sure I wouldn't rather have allen heads.
Your idea about thumb screws might be the answer. Can you get them tight enough??

Jason Beam
05-08-2009, 11:42 AM
Why don't you simply unscrew one of the allen heads.. idenify the size or call Grizzly for the size.. go down to ACE Hardware to the misc. bins of thumb screws or T handle male bolts attached and purchase 6 or 7 for under $12? My 18" BS came with allen heads but I took care of this the second day I had it.... you can too.

Now look here, Sarge, I'm gonna do exactly that ... soon's I find me one of them circular tuit dealies... okay?!!! :D:D:D:D:D

Actually - since I've got me a fancy (grizzly!) metal lathe, i'm planning to MAKE the thumb screws I'd like to have - so nyeah!!!! :cool::p:p:p:p

Jason Beam
05-08-2009, 11:43 AM
Mine has 10mm hex head bolts to adjust the guides. I'm not sure I wouldn't rather have allen heads.
Your idea about thumb screws might be the answer. Can you get them tight enough??

I have thumb screws on my Jet saw and they get plenty tight. Though, it has blocks instead of bearings for guides. I think the cams that set those bearing guides are best left with socket head cap screws.

Barry Vabeach
05-08-2009, 12:05 PM
What I did was buy repacement allen headed screws, then knurled some brass rods to make a thumbwheel, then pressed the thumbwheel onto the allen headed screw. That works for all the top sided screws and a few of the lower guides - for two of three of the lower guides, I needed a longer length and threaded some drill rod and put a thumbwheel on the end. If you don't want to work with brass, I would think you could get a similar result with wood thumwheels.

glenn bradley
05-08-2009, 12:35 PM
I just keep the stuff (http://www.familywoodworking.org/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=22719&d=1218070011) nearby.

John Thompson
05-08-2009, 12:49 PM
The thumb screw work fine. Keep in mind that an M6 thread is an M6 thread and must be to fit the threads where the allen heads were. So.. can I get a thumb screw as tight as a allen head? I think so and frankly probably tighter as you have to be careful not to snug up too tight on allen's to avoid reaming the head on an allen screw.

If you do see evidence of an allen head stripping.. replace it with a new one or something equilavent as trying to get an allen head out is not a simple task. If a thumbscrew broke the thumb which is not likely.. you will have some exposed thread to grab with a pair of channel locks or vise-grips.

And it you want an even better fix.. I eventually ordered some M6 (one is M8 on mine) T handle M6 male thread bolts from Reid Supply Company. A little more expensive at around $2.50 a pop but.. I like T or Star handles to turn. I use them on my Incra miter gauge and many more shop-made jigs so I just keep a supply on hand. If I need a jig... I just stop and take an hour of so and build one if I don't already have it.

And BTW.. for any that might have a blade shield that obstructs view of the gullet and teeth relation to the bearing.. a hack saw is your freind. Cut the shield off above the bearings and then you can see the bearings and cut properly.

Ya'll have a good one as a project awaits...

Sarge..

Robert Strebler
05-08-2009, 1:20 PM
I've had mine for a while now and still love it as much as when I got it. The newness has worn off, but I have no desire to upgrade. It's a solid saw and a fantastic deal.

Dave Cav
05-08-2009, 1:51 PM
And BTW.. for any that might have a blade shield that obstructs view of the gullet and teeth relation to the bearing.. a hack saw is your freind. Cut the shield off above the bearings and then you can see the bearings and cut properly.
Sarge..

I did that on both my Grizzly bandsaws, the 513x2 and the 14" saw. The red blade guard hung down over the top bearing guides and I had a hard time seeing the blade, so I sliced an inch or so off the end and repainted the cut end with some red nail polish. Looks good as new and it's a lot easier to see the cut now. Also a lot easier to adjust the blade guides.

And yes, I really like my 513x2, too. One of the most useful purchases I have made. Cuts awesome tennons.

Dave Lehnert
05-08-2009, 5:28 PM
I don't have the saw and am happy with the 18" I do have but.. I read a complaint here from two different people (Jason B.. John K) about allen head screws used to hold the blade guides in being a PITA. I couldn't agree more about this being a pain as my BS came with them also.

So I have a question for all of you that have a BS with allen screws to hold the guide adjustments and this would pertain to other BS's with them. If you guys are saavy enough to set up a band-saw.. get it tracking properly and get great re-saws from the machine.....

BTW.. the allen heads are probably M6 as a number of the Pacific Rim saws I have gone over are. But.. that is not a fact and perhaps Shiraz could shed some light on the size or sizes in case not all are the same.

Just a thought for you guys to consider in lieu of wishing it had..... ;)

Hopefully everyone will interpret what I just said as it is intended.. simply a quick fix resulting in a even better BS with a minimum of effort required.

Sarge..

I did that to my Shopsmith belt sander. Replaced the allen screws with thumb screws. I dipped the ends in plastic dip. Purchased the screws at Sears Hardware. Works very well.

Dave Lehnert
05-08-2009, 6:26 PM
I e-mailed Grizzly CS to get the low down. Will post here the info.
Message from Grizzly CS said 513x2 is on back order till June but IS NOT discontinued.

John Thompson
05-08-2009, 7:06 PM
Nice work with the plastic Dave L...

Dave C... good idea with the nail polish but I don't do nail polish (:D) and I'm just a cheap-skate which I like to refer to as frugal in public.. I just used the tip of a Red magic marker after filing to take off any burr. One of those quick fixes at the time with what was on hand and as Larry the Cable Guys says... "Get er done". :)

Nice fix guys...

Sarge..