PDA

View Full Version : Question about used Unisaw

William Powell
05-07-2009, 8:26 PM
Hi all,
The ad says 1940s Unisaw, very nice. Besides a couple of pics (one of which I am including), there isn't much else. I'm trying to get more info. Appears the fence is a Biesemeyer or clone. If I go look at it, what should I look for? Besides the obvious things. Things unique to an old Unisaw, is what I mean. I've been trying to scour the web for info on these. The asking price is 400. What little I've picked up, it may be worth more, if running.

Thanks
Bill

David Christopher
05-07-2009, 8:40 PM
from the looks of the switch on the front its possiblely a 3 phase motor....if so you will need to change the motor if you dont have 3 phase power...as far as everything else check for rust and worn bearings.....it looks pretty good from the pic

William Powell
05-07-2009, 9:01 PM
Based on my simple research, I'd say it was an aftermarket mag switch. What makes you think it's 3-phase from the pic?

Bill

David Christopher
05-07-2009, 9:09 PM
Bill, it looks just like the one that came on my 58 uni and it was 3 phase....just thought it might be a question to ask

William Powell
05-07-2009, 9:20 PM
Oh yeah, I understand about the 3 phase. It is definitely something I am trying to find out. One thing I noticed from the other pics is the egg (is that what the motor end cover is called?) is missing. Since the motor sticks out of the right side of the cabinet, does that indicate something? Like age, motor type, that sort of thing.

Bill

David Christopher
05-07-2009, 9:23 PM
Bill, mine didnt come with a motor cover....just a odd shape opening for the motor to stick out

Carroll Courtney
05-07-2009, 9:55 PM
William,to me it looks like its a 50ish table saw.I think that 1938 through the late 40's were the 4 footer type,meaning that there were 4 feet instead of the solid base like you have and myself.Mine is a 1950 model.Your dust cover looks solid and not the louver type door(orginal?).As for the motor its probably the RI type motor either a 1hp or 1 1/2 hp motor.Which weights in at around 75lbs.If it is a 3phase motor,either a VSD will cure that problem or a converter is needed.An up to date motor new is in the 350-400.00 range.It not having the orginal fence is a mark against it plus the asking price which also at the top.If all works, and its a single phase motor and most important---you like it then its worth the asking price and it will last a life time.Most parts are still available for it by going to www.sawcenter.com (http://www.sawcenter.com) for all the unisaw parts and some parts are pricey.The bearings,is a small expense,mine was around 20.00 ship to my door.Also look closely at the cast iron parts,for repairs and cracks.If you are want more info,do what I do ask here and also go to www.owwm.org (http://www.owwm.org) where they rebuild old ARN all the time.Good Luck---Carroll

William Powell
05-07-2009, 10:09 PM
Thanks Carroll. That's good input. Time for bed now.

Chris Rosenberger
05-07-2009, 10:32 PM
1939 was the only year Unisaws had 4 feet. In 1940 the cast iron plinth replace the feet.

Josiah Bartlett
05-07-2009, 11:02 PM
I think the price is quite reasonable. I also don't think not having the original fence is a downside, the old fences are usually worn out and weren't that good. If it is a good, useable saw as-is then $400 is a good deal.

Chip Lindley
05-08-2009, 12:14 AM
A slim chance that the mag switch was added to a single-phase saw as a safety factor. The original 1hp induction/repulsion motor is quite usable for a home shop!

I upgraded to an aftermarket Leeson 3hp only because the price was right! $110! And I sold the I/R motor for $100! But, the motor pulley had to be changed! The I/R motor is 1725rpm. All other Unisaw motors are 3450rpm.

IF the saw in single-phase, you can live with either motor it may have!!

Jeff Duncan
05-08-2009, 9:36 AM
I'd guess at 3 phase also, mostly b/c most homeowners wouldn't bother putting that type of switch on a saw, but it's just a guess.
Most used saws will not have the motor cover, they're much more rare as are the dust doors on the bottom. Also though some guys do like the original fences, they're really not that hot, so again not really an issue except maybe as a bargaining tool.
$400 is a decent price any day of the week. Doesn't mean that it's a good price for you, especially if you have to change the motor out. Just that it's a good price, so probably won't last too much longer for you to think about it.
good luck,
JeffD

Rod Upfold
05-09-2009, 5:01 PM
Excellent price...paid 750.00 Canadian for a 1955 unisaw. For info (not price) - go
here...

http://www.owwm.com

You will have to join the forum to ask a question.

Rod