PDA

View Full Version : Jigsaw - removing ****en blade

Chris Barnett
05-07-2009, 6:21 PM
Have an old Skill brand VS jigsaw that now has a broken blade (no, you can't ask how). Blades were easily removed by loosening the allen screw and just removing the blade if it at first does not just fall out. W-e-l-l....there is probably 3/16 inch of blade exposed to where the break occurred (ok, hit a 2/x4 when cutting out for breaker panel in drywall and snapped that sucker). But blade will not release even with the allen screw removed; it is not frozen and is loose in the carrier but is not removable even with reasonable tension. An identical blade has one or two holes in the non-business end (i.e. opposite the toothed end) but I am not aware that anything protrudes through the hole when locked in place by the allen screw [which is co-linear with blade and 90 degrees to the hole(s) and thus the allen screw cannot penetrate the hole]. Seems the elves are at it again...making the seemingly impossible a simple reality.

Any experiences with this problem? Hope someone has a magic elixir to solve this other than destructive examination, that will obviously follow a failure to eject :D. Otherwise the jigsaw works great and it will be missed :(. Thanks
Chris (ahm...broken blade, not ****en blade...but wait...maybe that's what is wrong...it's a ****en blade and not designed to be removed)

William Falberg
05-07-2009, 6:58 PM
Loosen it up and run it. It should come flying out on its own.

Chris Ricker
05-07-2009, 7:50 PM
Try compressed air if you have a compressor, a couple of quick blasts should do the trick:)

harry strasil
05-07-2009, 7:54 PM
there is a depression in the side of the keeper that has an indent on the inside of it, the set screw just pushes the driver over against it to secure it in in many of the older saws. just tap the protruding part gently with a small hammer and punch.

Chris Barnett
05-07-2009, 8:51 PM
Like it was shot from a gun....running the saw did the trick....not sure why I overlook the common solutions :rolleyes:. Still do not know what the hangup was. Thanks...used it to finish the cutout instead of my antique keyhole saw.
Chris

glenn bradley
05-07-2009, 10:53 PM
Like it was shot from a gun....running the saw did the trick

You've just messed up a perfect excuse to get a Bosch 1590 or 1591 :mad:

Greg Deakins
05-08-2009, 2:04 PM
You've just messed up a perfect excuse to get a Bosch 1590 or 1591 :mad:

indeed... I upgraded from a skil to a bosch several years ago. WHat was a tool I rarely used now is a staple in my shop. But as it happened today, and usually every time I use it, even the bosch breaks blades. Difference is, a tug on the lever and the blade pops out.