PDA

View Full Version : Festool Duct Extractors

Stewart Crick
08-08-2004, 2:28 PM
I'm considering moving-up to a CT 22E Dust Extractor. I haven't found anyone who says anything bad about them. But I do have one question. I can't find any technical data re: filter capability. My current shop vac is rated down to .3 microns. Does anybody know what the CT 22E is rated at?

Stu

Bob Marino
08-08-2004, 2:54 PM
Stewart,

The CT's filter down to 1 micron. I understand that HEPA filters (.3 micron) may be available in the future.

Bob

Greg Mann
08-08-2004, 6:37 PM
I'm considering moving-up to a CT 22E Dust Extractor. I haven't found anyone who says anything bad about them. But I do have one question. I can't find any technical data re: filter capability. My current shop vac is rated down to .3 microns. Does anybody know what the CT 22E is rated at?

Stu
Stu,

Don't let the 1 micron worry you. Since the Festool uses a bag as well as a filter you will find the secondary filtration does not get clogged up with the dogs and cats. My guess is your present set up is either too noisy or the filter clogs too soon or both, and that is why you are considering upgrade. If you need to mess with emptying a dust collector and the mess is all over the place, then you have already been sabotaged. Put another way, if your rig is quiet, clean, and truly filters to .3 micron, don't bother with the Festool.

When I finish a sanding session with the CT22E, there is nothing in the air and I have not had to deal with a clogged filter. I have hours and hours on the original filter and it still looks like new. You will love it.

Stewart Crick
08-09-2004, 7:44 AM
Thanks Bob & Greg. Feels like I've gone to the next level, now that I know who Uncle Bob is!!!! Got your PM and replied. Very impressive work on your website.

Greg, noise is not an issue because I don't think there's a vacuum out there that is so quiet I'm not going to be wearing hearing protection while operating it. My reason for going away from my shop vac is filter clogging and cleaning. The HEPA filter on my shop vac gets clogged bad to the point that once or twice a year I have to replace it. In your experience (or Bobs) how does the CT 22 E filter perform?

Stu

Bob Marino
08-09-2004, 8:12 AM
Thanks Bob & Greg. Feels like I've gone to the next level, now that I know who Uncle Bob is!!!! Got your PM and replied. Very impressive work on your website.

Greg, noise is not an issue because I don't think there's a vacuum out there that is so quiet I'm not going to be wearing hearing protection while operating it. My reason for going away from my shop vac is filter clogging and cleaning. The HEPA filter on my shop vac gets clogged bad to the point that once or twice a year I have to replace it. In your experience (or Bobs) how does the CT 22 E filter perform?

Stu
Uncle Bob? Thanks, Jim B ;)

The filters are basically protected by the filter bags. There are two pleated filters on the vac and just drop out with the click of the retaining clip, literally takes seconds. Then the filters are either blown clean with some compressed air or you can use another vac to get them clean, both methods takes only seconds and no mess. Also, there is a filter cleaning device on the exterior of the vac that serves to loosen and shake the dust off the filter.

Bob

Jim Becker
08-09-2004, 9:29 AM
Uncle Bob? Thanks, Jim B Differentiates you from my brother (sibling), who is also "Bob"...:o

Greg Mann
08-09-2004, 6:44 PM
Uncle Bob? Thanks, Jim B ;)

The filters are basically protected by the filter bags. There are two pleated filters on the vac and just drop out with the click of the retaining clip, literally takes seconds. Then the filters are either blown clean with some compressed air or you can use another vac to get them clean, both methods takes only seconds and no mess. Also, there is a filter cleaning device on the exterior of the vac that serves to loosen and shake the dust off the filter.

Bob

Stu,

Mr. Marino speaks the truth. There is a 'filter agitator' that you can use to swipe across the filters to knock off any dust. I have purposely opened the vac to watch what happens when I do this. The fact is that the filters just don't get dirty very fast because the bag works so well! Get this. The bags come with a cap attached so that as soon as you pull them away from the fitting you can plug them off. Sweet. There is also a catch to hold the top open while you're changing the bag.
BTW, I agree with you about wearing hearing protection regardless. Thirty-six years in a metalworking environment is intrusive enough. I also understand the frustration with filter changing. We fight effective coolant filtration at work, and I have learned that it must be done in stages. Catch the dogs and cats first, then the finer stuff. A very fine filter that is asked to catch everything will blind off faster than you can imagine. Then you have no flow flow and a system straining against itself. Totally ineffective. That is what sold me on the Festool. Plus I have an outlet wherever I take it. It is just sweet all-around.

Greg

Byron Trantham
08-09-2004, 7:52 PM
Stu, I own one. Got it from Bob Marino. I made adapters for my sanding center, oscillating spindle sander, skill saw, biscuit jointer, and Bosh ROS. I used the switched outlet to run the tools. I posted a couple pics of the adapters. I wish every tool had so much versatility!!

Stewart Crick
08-10-2004, 8:13 AM
OK! OK! I cry "Uncle!" Pun intented. One final question will the hoses fit my PC tools or will I need to buy/make an adaptor?