PDA

View Full Version : Wood, led light base?

Jack Harper
05-07-2009, 3:32 PM
Hello - I am trying to locate some wooden, led light bases. I know one of the members here sells light bases, but I did not see any wood base models. Any ideas? Thanks.

Ron Thompson
05-07-2009, 4:00 PM
Hi Jack,

I'd like to suggest you contact www.lavivrus.com (http://www.lavivrus.com) or email them at OMS <oms@lavivrus.com>

I've purchased many wood items from them and I'm sure they can create a stand that we could use to hold the LEDs.

The tile frames they make are very nice, check out the catalog.

Ron Thompson

Jack Harper
05-07-2009, 9:49 PM
Thanks Ron, I will check with them. Does anyone else have any suggestions?

Kenneth Hertzog
05-07-2009, 9:58 PM
Jack
I have a DXF file for the base
will send it to you if you wish
ken

Jack Harper
05-09-2009, 10:28 AM
Thanks Ken.

Arturo Villegas
05-09-2009, 5:40 PM
Thanks Ken.

Same here Ken !

Thanks a lot.

Kenneth Hertzog
05-09-2009, 8:08 PM
thanks fellow creekers
If I can be of further assistance let me know
ken

Adam Desemone
05-11-2009, 9:21 AM
Here is a site for led bases www.illsigns.com (http://www.illsigns.com). The person that has this site can custom make bases for you. His email is illsigns@gmail.com and his name is Kenny.

Scott Shepherd
05-11-2009, 9:51 AM
http://photobrasive.com/ikonicssign/luminary_frames.php

You have to get setup to deal with them, but that's nothing more than a phone call or email and then you can log into the dealer area.

Rich Fleming
05-12-2009, 5:14 PM
What about a place that sells just the LED lights. I'd like to make my daughter a little night light for her dresser

Steve Clarkson
05-12-2009, 8:26 PM
Rich.....for just one.....try Walmart.....they have acrylic ones and you just replace theirs with yours.

Jack Harper
05-12-2009, 9:45 PM
Thanks everyone for your input. I decided to use Kens design with some modifications and make the bases out of black marble.

Rich Fleming
05-13-2009, 12:14 AM
Rich.....for just one.....try Walmart.....they have acrylic ones and you just replace theirs with yours.

Thanks I'll check them out..

Rick Brague
05-20-2009, 9:33 AM
Ken could you share the dxf light base with me?

Thanks
rick

Mike vonBuelow
10-18-2010, 4:30 PM
Good info... anyone else with LED base suggestions?

Robert Walters
10-18-2010, 8:51 PM
Jack
I have a DXF file for the base
will send it to you if you wish
ken

Hey Ken,

Could I get a copy of the DXF file too by chance?

Else you could post it on http://filebin.ca/ and post back
the FULL link they give (not the short one).

Kenneth Hertzog
10-18-2010, 11:02 PM
Hi guys
I will post the DXF file for the base.
wood used was .250 plywood
I will also post the file I use for the cover wood I got from George
will do this tomorrow its a little late this evening ( sorry )
Ken

Adam Orton
10-19-2010, 1:27 AM
Hi Ken I am jumping on the bandwagon here could I get a copy of the base too?? I am kinda new to this and would love to see it. Thanks!!
shallowgroove@gmaildotcom

Mike Null
10-19-2010, 7:11 AM
I would suggest contacting Jim Good who is a member here.

Kenneth Hertzog
10-19-2010, 9:45 AM
will try and upload these files
one is for the base
the other is for the outside cover
good luck and have fun
ken

AL Ursich
10-19-2010, 12:56 PM
This thread has pictures I posted that might help.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=142155

AL

Robert Walters
10-19-2010, 1:27 PM
will try and upload these files
one is for the base
the other is for the outside cover
good luck and have fun
ken

Thanks Ken!

Question, in the "all base" file...

The 1st piece is the base,
the 4th piece is the top.

What is the function of the other two?

#2 looks like the led strip would slide out.
#3 looks like a place for the wire or jack to sit into.

Viktor Voroncov
10-19-2010, 1:53 PM
How about fire safety when wood is combined with LED and electricity?

Dan Hintz
10-19-2010, 1:54 PM
Viktor,

Low voltage, low current, low worries...

Viktor Voroncov
10-19-2010, 1:56 PM
Thank's Dan, I am not really familiar with LED's

Kenneth Hertzog
10-19-2010, 2:01 PM
Robert
you are correct on the order
I have a slide in strip for that base
you can remove the strip and insert another of different color
change the acrylic for whatever season you wish and color

also like dan said low voltage ( 9 volt ) and I've never had one even warm.

Ken

Viktor Voroncov
10-19-2010, 2:08 PM
Just to make everything clear for me from LED pro :)

When you work with LED you always have combination: electricity-plug-transformer-LED? There is NO possibility have LED without transformer?

Kenneth Hertzog
10-19-2010, 2:18 PM
Viktor
you can not have LED's with out power of some sort
the power needs to be DC
you have many choices batteries or transformer
Most LED's voltage is between 9 and 14 volt DC
a series of batteries will make them light with no problem
ken

Robert Walters
10-19-2010, 2:26 PM
Just to make everything clear for me from LED pro :)

When you work with LED you always have combination: electricity-plug-transformer-LED? There is NO possibility have LED without transformer?

You need the transformer for isolation (prevention of fire/shock hazard if you are powering from mains 120/220VAC).

Technically, yes you can get away without using a transformer, but if a wire came loose/shorted, you have a very serious fire/shock hazard that you would be liable for being the "manufacture".

If you are powering from batteries then no transform is needed, but they will drain fairly quickly.
You still need to have current limiting resistors though.

LED Christmas lights don't use a normal transformer, but they do have a small "buldge" in them (somewhere) that gets quite warm to the touch. At least in all the sets that I have purchased so far. Since it's completely encapsulated, I don't know if it's a big fat resistor or what.

They are on the side of "voodoo" (imo), and pushing the UL Listed (safety) limits. Not something one would normally use in a LED sign base typically.

Robert Walters
10-19-2010, 2:31 PM
Most LED's voltage is between 9 and 14 volt DC

Most LED *STRIPS* are rated 9 to 14 VDC.

Most individual LEDs are rated between 2.1 and 3.4 VDC.

Viktor Voroncov
10-19-2010, 2:31 PM
Generally speaking it's bad idea try to HIDE transformator INSIDE wooden base?

Robert Walters
10-19-2010, 2:39 PM
Generally speaking it's bad idea try to HIDE transformator INSIDE wooden base?

Usually, people use this type of power supply (of the proper ratings):

http://secure.transtronics.com/osc/images/medium/wall_wart.jpg

I'd think it be kinda difficult to hide that in a base.

Viktor Voroncov
10-19-2010, 2:55 PM
Robert, we are living in 21 century :) I have used transformators like on picture in 1996 and hope that now there is something cheap, small and reliable for this purposes

Robert Walters
10-19-2010, 3:37 PM
Robert, we are living in 21 century :) I have used transformators like on picture in 1996 and hope that now there is something cheap, small and reliable for this purposes

Those power supplies *are* cheap, small, and reliable.

The alternative is switching power supplies as opposed to linear, which are lighter weight and typically higher current capacities, a bit higher in cost in small quantities though.

Wireless electricity DOES exist, and if you find it for less than the cost of one of those power supplies pictured above, please let me know.

Bruce Clumpner
10-20-2010, 2:58 AM
A great source for finished bases is CrystalEdge, or Ikonics Imaging... They are primarily a sand blast supplier, but seem to provide a variety of finished bases for their glass stock. Prices are OK, but not wonderful for full mark-up for resale. Those that I've ordered have been very good quality even though they are of Chinese manufacture. Take a look!

Michael Hunter
10-20-2010, 5:50 AM
On the external power supplies -

If you incorporate the power supply into the light base, then it becomes part of your product and you become liable for the safety aspects all the way from the mains socket on the wall.

Using a separate plug-in power supply (so that only low voltage DC goes into your base) lets you self-declare* that your product has no safety issues and saves a whole lot of paperwork and testing/assessment.

A properly specified external supply is safer than batteries (next-to-no stored energy) : just make sure that it has the correct safety approval stamps moulded into the case.

* EU CE marking.
(In the EU, an LED light base WILL need to be CE marked for safety and EMI).

Hannu Rinne
10-20-2010, 1:54 PM
Led stribe - will it last inside liquid acrylic ? ( I'm just curious, does the led produce heat :confused: )

Regards, Hannu

Dean Barber
10-20-2010, 8:42 PM
Ken ,

Do you have any pictures of the completed project?

Kenneth Hertzog
10-21-2010, 1:38 PM
pics of completed base

Bill W. White
10-21-2010, 10:54 PM
I've taken a little different approach to bases mostly making bases out of solid walnut, purple heart, or other hardwoods. I use the bases for fishing trophies.
I buy the lights now from a company called mastlight.com,,They make a great light strip with 30 high intensity lights and the transformer is built into the strip so all you have is a 110 V wire to plug into the wall. Before I got a CNC maching it was a real hassle now its soooo nice just make a pocket on bottom for light and turn it over and make top shap and a little carving and it's ready to spray...Bill W.

Robert Walters
10-21-2010, 11:54 PM
I buy the lights now from a company called mastlight.com,,They make a great light strip with 30 high intensity lights and the transformer is built into the strip so all you have is a 110 V wire to plug into the wall.

Hi Bill,

Could you wire one of these up and run for 10 to 15 minutes and tell me if there is a section of it that feels warm/hot to the touch by chance?

Dee Gallo
10-22-2010, 8:38 AM
I've taken a little different approach to bases mostly making bases out of solid walnut, purple heart, or other hardwoods. I use the bases for fishing trophies.
I buy the lights now from a company called mastlight.com,,They make a great light strip with 30 high intensity lights and the transformer is built into the strip so all you have is a 110 V wire to plug into the wall. Before I got a CNC maching it was a real hassle now its soooo nice just make a pocket on bottom for light and turn it over and make top shap and a little carving and it's ready to spray...Bill W.

Bill, that's a great looking light! Are you selling them (blanks)?

cheers, dee

AL Ursich
10-22-2010, 1:55 PM
I bought a bunch of Solar Christmas Lights that I was planning to use to make lighted LED House Number Signs. The Solar pack has 2 AA batteries and in the winter did not get enough sun to fully charge so I set it aside for now. Will revisit it later with less LED's and Fiber Optic Cable.

BUT... The Solar part could be placed up against a window and from the inside the batteries won't get so cold... You could use LED's like this to power a Base that would come on at dusk every night.... It has a circuit in it that if it is not charging the batteries then it is operating the lights.... You can just cut off all but 10 LED's and it will still work but longer on a charge.

Search eBay for Solar Christmas Lights.

AL

Keith Proctor
11-13-2010, 3:10 PM
Try; fiberopticproducts.com.....They have some cool stuff that might get your creative juices flowing.

AL Ursich
11-13-2010, 3:22 PM
LED's produce little to no heat.

AL