PDA

View Full Version : Doin' It! - Retiring!

Jim DeLaney
08-08-2004, 2:16 PM
Well, it's becoming "official," Mida and I have decided to retire early. The economics, and other circumstances seem right, so we've decided to accelerate our plans by a few years...

Last week, we went back to Eastern Ohio, and bought a house in Austintown - A nice ranch-type home, on 1½ wooded acres, with a separate workshop building for me, and a basement quilting studio for Mida.

I've given my clients notice that I'll be quitting on 30 September, and Mida has also given notice at her job (after 26 years!).

We're putting the house in Tustin up for sale, and intend to be moved to Ohio by mid October.

It'll be quite a transition for us, since we've both been working steadily for nearly 40 years. I think we'll be able to cope, though. <G> The climate will take some getting used to, again, since neither of us has coped with cold and snow for about the last 25+ years. I do have some family (my sister) relatively close by, but other than that, this will be an entirely new experience for both of us - one that we're really looking forward to!

Wish us luck in our 'transition.'

Byron Trantham
08-08-2004, 2:21 PM
Congratulations Jim!!! :D :D :D

I did it about 3 years ago. Don't regret it one bit. Took me about two years "to stop thinking about work."

Good luck.

PS I have a T shirt that says "I'm not retired, I was promoted to Grandpa"

Jim Becker
08-08-2004, 2:41 PM
Congratulations, Jim...I sure hope that Dr SWMBO and I can do something like that someday! And even better, you get to put to gether a brand new shop at the new house in Ohio! What's not to like about that??? :D

Dennis Peacock
08-08-2004, 2:57 PM
Congrats Jim......!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Some folks have it all setup. ;)

Thanks to "911", my retirement went to nothing and I am already practicing to work for Wal-Mart as a greeter! Hello, Welcome to Wal-Mart! Would you like a buggy? How about a smiley sticker for the little feller?

I still have a some time and it my retirement recovers, I will only have to work parttime for Wal-Mart.

I refuse to work for a BORG!!!!

Wes Bischel
08-08-2004, 4:05 PM
Jim,

That's great news - congrats! As for the weather change - now's a great time to buy the snow blower! :eek:

My parents did the same thing about 15 years ago - Dad has been working at the local hardware store since then - LOVES every minute! Funny thing though, he's their computer guru and at 74 their oldest employee. Usually those two don't mix. ;)

Enjoy - sounds like both of you have earned it!

Wes

Dick Parr
08-08-2004, 4:07 PM
Congratulations Jim, I did it a year and a half ago but not by choice. I am getting use to it now. But why NE Ohio :eek:

I spent my first 18 years in NE Ohio and found it's a good place to be from. :D Did go back and spend 3 years in Columbus but that was enough. There is no way I would want to have all that snow again. What little we get in Tenn. is enough for me.

You will like retirement and you will wonder how you ever had time to work. :p

Again, Congratulations

Ken Garlock
08-08-2004, 5:23 PM
Congratulations on the retirement plan. It surely beats the old daily grind. :)

Having spent the first 38 years of my existence in Akron, and having lived through 24 below, and snow waist deep, I must question your sanity in moving to the Youngstown area. It has to be one of two things, either you have relatives there, or you have connections with the mob :D :D :D

I have some cousins in Salem, not to far from you, and various other relatives scattered around NE Ohio.

In any event, enjoy your new digs and keep us posted on the move.

Best of luck :)

Jim Ketron
08-08-2004, 5:31 PM
Congrats!! enjoy yourselves
Jim

Jason Roehl
08-08-2004, 6:01 PM
Jim, best wishes on the life change and the move. Make sure that when you do get to Ohier that your put M+S tires on your vehicles. Those hard tires that you folks use in warmer climates don't do too well on the ice and snow. Although, I suppose if you're retired, you wouldn't ever have to go out before the roads are cleared after a storm...

Earl Reid
08-08-2004, 6:29 PM
Welcome to Ohio, Jim, I'm sure you will enjoy your retirement here. We came back in 92 after being gone 15 yrs. NE Ohio has the motto, "Best location in the nation" Good luck and enjoy a long retirement.
Earl

Cecil Arnold
08-08-2004, 6:31 PM
Congratulations, my last day is August 30 so I'll be joining in the life of leasure--NOT. LOML already has travel plans, and I'm sure a honey-do list that will last for a year or better, and I'm already looking around for something part time to keep me out of the bars and strip clubs (okay, I'm exaggerating). Don't let the talk get you down about Ohio, I'm in Texas and I'm sure the heat here is every bit as hard to take as the cold there. Enjoy, you earned it.

Jerry Olexa
08-08-2004, 6:55 PM
Jim Have Fun Enjoy your retirement, well earned I'm sure! Jerry:)

Ken Fitzgerald
08-08-2004, 7:47 PM
Jim......Congrats! Enjoy the retirement and the area of the country where you'll actually enjoy 4 seasons! We spent 6 years in the deep south.....only thing we missed........4 seasons.......Now that we are older and living in Idaho .........we have 2 seasons........winter and roadbuilding season! Just kidding....enjoy! :rolleyes:

Wes Bischel
08-08-2004, 9:54 PM
Wow, small world - Ken G. I'm from Salem (OK, just born there). My grandfather's family - Saxons, settled in Salem. Some Krauss' and Miter's still there. Every year they still have the Grossau reunion.

Wes

Ray Moser
08-09-2004, 7:11 AM
Welcome to the area. I'm about 20 miles south of you near Columbiana. Don't let the naysayers discourage your choice. While I'm not all that fond of winters, it really isn't all that bad and the major earthquakes are few and far between. Actually we went thru about a 10 yr stint of hardly having any real winter. Back in the '90's, I bought a snow blower and the warranty expired before I every had to use it. Again welcome and good luck. Ray

James Carmichael
08-09-2004, 8:58 AM
Congrats Jim......!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Some folks have it all setup. ;)

Thanks to "911", my retirement went to nothing and I am already practicing to work for Wal-Mart as a greeter! Hello, Welcome to Wal-Mart! Would you like a buggy? How about a smiley sticker for the little feller?

I still have a some time and it my retirement recovers, I will only have to work parttime for Wal-Mart.

I refuse to work for a BORG!!!!

We may be fighting over that job, Dennis. :eek:

Congrats Jim, enjoy your well-earned leisure!

Chris Padilla
08-09-2004, 4:43 PM
Fantastic, Jim! As we discussed before, it will be quite a change from Southern California to Northeastern Ohio!

You are going to have 4 seasons for example! However, I think you are doing it right: you are changing your career, changing your home, changing your location. Why not just change everything all at once and get it over with? :)

It is a fresh start were just about everything is going to be new. I think it'll make the retirement process easier...everything around you will be so new you won't have much time to think or worry about the fact that you aren't doing the 9 to 5 any more....

Best luck and best wishes...keep posting here...we're looking forward to seeing what you do with all your time! :D We'd also like to drool all over your new dedicated shop, too....:p

Matt Woodworth
08-09-2004, 5:40 PM
You're retiring, that's so great. Not having to work everyday is such a dream that I can hardly imagine that real people get to do it.

I don't mean to brag but based on how much I enjoy my weekends I bet I'd be *great* at retirement. :p