PDA

View Full Version : Milling Metal

Burt Alcantara
05-07-2009, 2:16 PM
I'm making a series of turning tools. Nothing fancy. A few Olands in different sizes, some roughing tools using Shellix cutters and a few smoothing tools based on round carbide cutters.

I'm using various sizes of drill rods and square "soft" steel. I'd like to mill out a 2mm notch in both the round and square stock. I have a Baltimore vise. I'd like to put an end mill in a chuck and mill the notches out.

Is it that simple or do I need something else?

What type of cutters are available to cut into iron pipe? Any good websites, books, DVDs?

Thanks,
Burt

Tom Lewis
05-07-2009, 2:22 PM
If you are thinking of using a drill press like a milling machine, drill presses are not made for the lateral, horizontal stress like a milling machine is. On the other hand, you could make a series of verticle cuts to remove most of the metal and that way keep the horizontal cuts to a minimum.
e-bay has lots of carbide endmills in all kinds of sizes.

Burt Alcantara
05-07-2009, 2:32 PM
I was thinking of using the lathe, moving the piece in the Baltimore vise. In my inexperienced eye, this would appear to be a standard practice for low end milling. (?????)

Ryan Baker
05-07-2009, 9:01 PM
I was thinking of using the lathe, moving the piece in the Baltimore vise. In my inexperienced eye, this would appear to be a standard practice for low end milling. (?????)

How are you going to adjust the height?

Why do you need to mill 2mm grooves for an Oland tool anyway?

You could try it (worst case you mess up a piece of metal), but I wouldn't recommend it. Those vises wander all over the place (as do drill press quills for anybody thinking about trying it -- DAMHIK).

Scott T Smith
05-07-2009, 9:01 PM
Basically you are proposing a variation of a horizontal mill, and it's worth a try.

Any good high speed steel or carbide cutter should work for non hardened steel or iron. Good online sources for machining equipment include MSC, J&L Industrial Supply, Enco, etc.

Richard Madison
05-07-2009, 9:45 PM
Might consider using a thin cut off disc of the type used in auto body work. I made a slot for 3/16" tool bits in the end of a boring bar using a metal cut off saw w/ 14" disc.

Burt Alcantara
05-08-2009, 12:14 AM
I spoke with the metal side of Grizzly. The tech recommended a 5/8 end mill and an end mill holder with a #2 morse taper.

I'm not milling the Oland tool. I'm making a set of square and round cutter roughing and finishing tools. I want to put the cutters on a plane with the top of the stock.

The Griz tech thought I should be able to do this with no problem. I've already used the Baltimore for other metal work on the drill press and it's working fine.

I will post pics of the tools and results as soon as they are made.

Burt