PDA

View Full Version : Gunstock Carving & Silver Wire Inlay

David Keller NC
05-07-2009, 1:58 PM
Thought some creekers might be interested in this - I ran across David's site while googling silver wire inlay. He's got some really clear illustrations regarding carving a very difficult substrate - highly curled maple, and a curved background (see also parts 2 & 3, and the silver wire tutorials):

http://www.davidpriceflintlocks.com/id26.html

Enjoy.

John Timberlake
05-07-2009, 4:07 PM
That is a great web site. When I built a flintlock rifle last summer, I decide not to do any carving because of the curl in the maple. He makes it look easy.

Jeff Riddle
06-14-2009, 9:31 PM
That is some impressive wood carving. I have done very little gun stock carving and only on my own rifles. Great web site. Thank you for sharing. So do you guys use hand tools or roto type bits for doing gun stock? I have used both and honestly prefer to use hand tools. I guess its because I learned to carve with them and I'm more comfortable with them. How about you.

Jeff

Phillip Bogle
06-15-2009, 1:09 AM
I like real carving tools. I love the feel of the sharp blade gliding through the wood with each cut. That feeling is addicting, it is special. I can't explain it any other way.

I am not adverse to power, (I have spent a good years income on them) other than I can make mistakes much faster with a nice, fast, power machine. Think power compost shredder. Instead of firewood I could make "presto logs" Those logs made from compressed sawdust that used to be my brilliant creative project.:D

brent mcmillen
12-28-2009, 5:32 AM
Beautiful work, I am interested in trying the carving like on your rifle barrels/breech, is there a web page that I can go to for some direction?

Thanks
Brent