PDA

View Full Version : Anyone familiar with Ray Iles D2 plane blades?

Sam Takeuchi
05-07-2009, 1:39 PM
Hey guys. I'm looking for 'interesting' replacement blades for my Stanley #7 and #60. What I mean by 'interesting' is, well, blades that aren't as well known or widely used as Hock, LN et al,. yet just as good as these, if not better. Stock old laminated blades are fine, but looking for better edge retention.

For some reason Iles blades piqued my interest despite the fact I know nothing about these blades. Does anyone use them or have experience with Iles blades (doesn't matter if it's used on Bailey style or infill plane)? If you do, please let me know. Seems like Iles blades are the "interesting plane iron" of the day for me.

George Moore
05-07-2009, 2:05 PM
I don't know about the D2 blades but I just received one of his carbon steel blades today. I don't know how it will perform but it is one nice looking blade.

It is a 2 3/8 blade to go into a home built 4 1/2,

Have a Blessed day.

George

george wilson
05-07-2009, 2:27 PM
I make D2 tools. If they are properly hardened,they should be durable cutting edges. D2 is a steel with high resistance to wear. It was made for shearing metal,and other abusive applications. It can be difficult to get it sharp enough,I found,unless you use ceramic stones. That might depend upon how they were heat treated.

I posted a Bowie knife I made out of D2 in this section. D2 can be sharper than it actually feels.

Joel Goodman
05-07-2009, 3:40 PM
I have a Carbon Steel iron from Ray Isles from TWW in a #7. In the write up Joel says that there is a little concaveness in the back (think Japanese chisel) so that it easy to flatten the back. It is as described -- took about 10 minutes to flatten and polish the back. I find it's an excellent blade. I did have to open the mouth as it's almost 1/8th inch thick. I like the thicker blade. The adjuster works fine (with a little more backlash) I haven't tried the D2 but I think they're the same thickness.

Steve Hamlin
05-08-2009, 7:28 AM
Similarly, I have one of Ray's carbon steel blades, which has proven superb. My only D2 tools are his mortice chisels.

Sam Takeuchi
05-09-2009, 11:48 AM
Thank you so much, guys. Well, my choice got easier. I was having trouble deciding which blades to get, I wanted to get a blade for my #7 and #60 from the same place to ease on shipping, but I guess I won't be needing one for #60. Just today, I was using the #60, and it slipped from my hand and the luck would have it, it hit soon-to-be-disposed Anant #4 on the floor, with a clank, my #60 split in half. So now instead of looking for a blade for it, I'm looking for a replacement #60 body (or #60 1/2 since they are pretty much the same thing and I have no interest in collective value). What a day...Seems like Anant had the last laugh to get back at me for wanting to get rid of it.

I guess that means I just have to decide on #7 blade. At least I can recycle the parts for my next 60 or 60 1/2...