PDA

View Full Version : My New Bandsaw....

Jerry Murray
05-07-2009, 1:27 PM
Well I finially got my new Jet 10" band saw in the other day.

I was really concerned as to the condition of the box, it definitely was beat up. Openeing it I expected to see something that was busted, but alas everything survived UPS, although some of the styrofoam was in small particles when I unboxed it.

I spent the evening assembling and checking everything over, and must say that for a small saw (size being relative) I am really really happy with it.

I cut a few pieces of soft wood and some hard woods. It does seem to struggle with the harder stuff, but if I take it slow it's doable.

Now, how do I take care of this with its cast iron table? Should I oil the table top? or what I'm afraid that at some point it will start to rust.

Eric Roberge
05-07-2009, 1:31 PM
Pictures?... I see no stinkin' band saw:D

Jerry Murray
05-07-2009, 1:33 PM
Pictures?... I see no stinkin' band saw:D

Ok I'll do some tonight after I get off of my 'paying job' :D

Eric Roberge
05-07-2009, 1:36 PM
Ok I'll do some tonight after I get off of my 'paying job' :D

You're at your paying job too....? What are we doing on SMC then:eek:

Myk Rian
05-07-2009, 1:39 PM
Clean the top with alcohol and paste wax it real good.
NO SILICONE.

Lance Norris
05-07-2009, 1:54 PM
Use Johnsons Paste Wax. Its kinda hard to find, but if your grocery store doesnt have it, one of the BORGs will.

glenn bradley
05-07-2009, 2:07 PM
+1 on JPW. Been using it for years. Cheap and effective.

P.s. the BORGs tend to hide it with the cleaning supplies(?).

Dan Forman
05-07-2009, 2:25 PM
Mineral spirits works well to clean, then the paste wax.

Dan

Jerry Murray
05-07-2009, 3:13 PM
Use Johnsons Paste Wax. Its kinda hard to find, but if your grocery store doesnt have it, one of the BORGs will.

I have some Minwax paste, will this do?

I also noticed that when I wiped the table with a cloth it took some fibers. It is slightly rough, do you think that I should sand it a bit before waxing?

Lance Norris
05-07-2009, 6:05 PM
I have some Minwax paste, will this do?

I dont have an answer for this. I do know you want a paste wax that DOESNT have any silicone additives, because it will affect the finish you will put on your wood when done. Johnsons doesnt have any silicone. I wouldnt take a chance with anything else. Its only about 4 bucks a can and will last for several years.

John Thompson
05-07-2009, 8:45 PM
Now, how do I take care of this with its cast iron table? Should I oil the table top? or what I'm afraid that at some point it will start to rust.[/QUOTE]

Don't put oil on it Jerry. Wax it with Johnson Wood Wax (you can find it at Lowes).. Butcher's Wax.. etc. No car wax as it contains silicone. Down in the humid south I have to wax mine about once every 4-5 days as I work in the shop 5-6 days a week and stock takes some of the wax with rubbing.

Congrats on getting a saw...

Sarge..

Jerry Murray
05-07-2009, 11:32 PM
Ok, so here is the Jet 10" Band Saw, and a couple other photos.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v610/Jmurman/CRW_2212.jpg

Here is a Storage Shelving unit I just built for organization

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v610/Jmurman/CRW_2213.jpg

I finally found the Gremlin that's been coming into the shop and swiping tools :D

Actually this is my son Jack who LOVES to hang out with Dad and observe and help out. Now if I just just get him to start wearing shoes!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v610/Jmurman/CRW_2214.jpg