PDA

View Full Version : Re-japanning but keeping patina

Greg Crawford
05-07-2009, 1:25 PM
On my old Stanley planes, the patina seems to keep rust away. I have some planes that had rusted almost everywhere but where that black, "nasty looking" coating was. Electrolysis hasn't removed this, so my guess is that it's not an oxidation, like black oxide.

So, here's my question. Since I don't know exactly what the patina is, I don't know what will remove it and what won't. I want to re-japann 1 or 2 of my planes, just to prevent rust (there's only about 10-15% left on them). I've read about the different formulations and treatments, and paint remover seems to be the least destructive for prep. Will either a water based or an acetone based paint remover remove the patina?

I guess I do have another question. Does the patina truly help prevent rust, or have I been around too much acetone and laquer thinner?

Thanks for all of you that have posted about restoration. Those posts are a treasure of info., but I didn't find this answer.

Greg

Casey Gooding
05-07-2009, 7:08 PM
I've only used a sandblaster to remove the old japanning. I'm sure there are other methods that will work just fine.
I use Rustoleum to "re-japan" them. It's actually pretty close to the look of the original.

Walter Plummer
05-09-2009, 2:35 PM
If you surf the bay much, 1/4" of rust is "Patina":rolleyes:

Greg Crawford
05-09-2009, 3:05 PM
I've totally kicked the fee bay habit. I had no choice since I refuse to do pay "pal". I know what you mean though. "Great user" doesn't mean for woodworking, either.