PDA

View Full Version : Finally we refaced our bathroom vanity

John Gregory
05-07-2009, 10:42 AM
We refaced our bathroom vanity. The old one had originally been painted. Years ago we stripped it and tried to stain it. It was junk wood meant to be painted not stained, it look awful.

Our new vanity is made using Santos Mahogany. There is no stain, just 4 coats of lacquer.

Thanks for looking

Jamie Buxton
05-07-2009, 10:46 AM
When you say "refaced", what did you do? Did you veneer over the old face frame? Or did you remove the old face frame, and build a new solid-lumber one? Did you do the whole operation in place, or pull the cabinet out to the shop?

John Gregory
05-07-2009, 11:13 AM
We made our own veneer. Resawed on the bandsaw then thickness planed and sanded to 1/8" and glued and pin nailed to the old face frame. We made new drawer boxes that are 1/2" Baltic Birch. And We cut out the center stile under the sink and made the new doors wider to account for that. That makes it easier for me to work on the plumbing.

Sam Layton
05-07-2009, 11:37 AM
What a difference, you did an outstanding job. What type of lacquer did you use.

Sam

Steve Clardy
05-07-2009, 11:37 AM
Looks very nice John ;)

John Gregory
05-07-2009, 11:58 AM
We used brush on Deft Lacquer

Jim Kountz
05-07-2009, 12:54 PM
Now that really turned out nice John, excellent job!! Only thing is I cant let me wife see this or I'll have another project to do!!

John Gregory
05-07-2009, 12:56 PM
Now that really turned out nice John, excellent job!! Only thing is I cant let me wife see this or I'll have another project to do!!

My wife and I work together in the shop. You might try that. Most women loves crafts, and woodworking is just that, a craft project, maybe on a larger scale.

Von Bickley
05-07-2009, 12:59 PM
John,

Nice job......... :)

Philip Johnson
05-07-2009, 2:29 PM
Yes it looks nice good job.....do you know where you can get the templates for cutting the arched doors like you have.

Phil

Paul Steiner
05-07-2009, 2:37 PM
Nice.... yet another thing I would like to do to my house.

Todd Burch
05-07-2009, 2:40 PM
Ouch. OUCH!! The original hurts my eyes. OUCH!!! Take it off!!!

New one looks great by the way. :)

Chris Padilla
05-07-2009, 3:35 PM
Awesome job on the redo!

Chip Lindley
05-07-2009, 4:13 PM
LOL John, I suppose you are Lucky! I work in my shop Alone! The WHINE and WHIRR of my machinery is the only thing that effectively drowns out my wife's WAILING & GNASHING! (A man's gotta do what a man's gotta do!)

Nice looking new vanity!

John Gregory
05-07-2009, 4:35 PM
Yes it looks nice good job.....do you know where you can get the templates for cutting the arched doors like you have.

Phil
We make our own templates. My wife does that. She determines the look of the arch in relation to the size of the door. She is an artist by education and training so she has an eye for that. We do save the templates we make for future use if the occastion arises. So we can build up our own set.

John Gregory
05-07-2009, 4:38 PM
Ouch. OUCH!! The original hurts my eyes. OUCH!!! Take it off!!!

New one looks great by the way. :)

The old one is UGLY. Or maybe worse than UGLY. In a way we are glad we put it off, had we done it years ago, it might be OAK :eek: and we are tired of OAK. We found this Santos Mahogany and we love it. It is so rich. Easy to work with too. If I remember right, about $8-9 per board foot.

Brent Ring
05-07-2009, 4:41 PM
Very Nice John - great job from a fellow Utahn!