PDA

View Full Version : 3rd Annual Central States BBq Update..........

Terry Hatfield
08-08-2004, 9:08 AM
Howdy everyone,

Plans are continuing to be made for the big 3rd CS BBQ at my home/shop in Springdale, AR. It is the weekend of September 17,18 and 19. Demos are being lined up. If you have some tool or procedure you would like to demo, please email me.

The Texas boys are bringing 30 lbs. of ribs and Cheryl and I will be doing our usual brisket so I would imagine there will be more good Bbq than we can possibly eat in one weekend!!! I'll be cooking up the usual hamburgers and hotdogs for Friday nite's supper and the brisket and ribs for Saturday and Sunday with all the trimmings.

Show and tell display area will be available so please bring anything you would like to show off. Also let me know if you have items to donate for the door prizes. We have several lined up already, but there is no such thing as too much free stuff. :D

Dennis and I have several pen kits already made up. We would like to turn them all and donate them to the FPP. We will be working on them throughout the event. Everyone is invited to bring kits that they would like to donate also. We would like to turn as many as possible over the weekend for the FPP.

I'll post some motel/hotel info. in a few days. The Razorbacks are playing in Little Rock that weekend so rooms should be no problem up here in the Springdale, Fayetteville area. All of the national chains have motels/hotels here.

If you are planning to attend and have not emailed me, please do so. I'll be sending maps and updates via email over the next few weeks.

Thanks and see you in September!!!!!!!!

Terry and the Arkies

Steve Clardy
08-08-2004, 11:44 AM
I'll be there unless I have to attend my own funeral. lol
I will bring a boat load of pen blanks to give away.
Steve

Tyler Howell
08-08-2004, 2:06 PM
Sounds Like a party Going on!:D

Great planning Terry. Going to try to get down there some day.;)

Dennis Peacock
08-08-2004, 3:00 PM
Sounds Like a party Going on!:D

Great planning Terry. Going to try to get down there some day.;)

Tyler,

How about 18 September 2004???? ;) :rolleyes:
Just get the boss to fly ya down this way and I'll come pick you up.

Dennis Peacock
08-08-2004, 3:10 PM
We will have a Tormek there demo'ing stuff. Everyone can bring something they need sharpened (except for Clardy!!!, he has a tendency to bring too much stuff to be sharpened!!!).....kiddin' Steve.....jest kiddin....bring what you want and I'll show YOU how to sharpen your tools.!! :p ;)

One more thing.......<b>Scrap Swap!!</b>

Take your scraps, make something out of them and bring it to exchange with someone. Here are the rules:

1. Whatever it is, it has to at least "look" like something.
2. No Powertools.
3. nails and screws should see a limited use.
4. No cutting of wood.
5. You must use whatever shape and size scraps you can dig out of your bin.
6. You can use glue and clamps to assemble your masterpiece.
7. You must not spend more than 8 hours making your "master piece".
8. No Paint, stain, oil, or nuttin' for a finish.
9. Can not be any larger than 3 feet long by 3 feet wide by 18 inches tall.
10. Your name has to be taped to your creation.
11. Last but not least....no metal...it has to be all wood....and glue of course.

This is just for fun and to help us all be "creative". This will be an exchange between those that participate.

Steve Clardy
08-08-2004, 8:03 PM
We will have a Tormek there demo'ing stuff. Everyone can bring something they need sharpened (except for Clardy!!!, he has a tendency to bring too much stuff to be sharpened!!!).....kiddin' Steve.....jest kiddin....bring what you want and I'll show YOU how to sharpen your tools.!! :p ;)

One more thing.......Scrap Swap!!

Take your scraps, make something out of them and bring it to exchange with someone. Here are the rules:

1. Whatever it is, it has to at least "look" like something.
2. No Powertools.
3. nails and screws should see a limited use.
4. No cutting of wood.
5. You must use whatever shape and size scraps you can dig out of your bin.
6. You can use glue and clamps to assemble your masterpiece.
7. You must not spend more than 8 hours making your "master piece".
8. No Paint, stain, oil, or nuttin' for a finish.
9. Can not be any larger than 3 feet long by 3 feet wide by 18 inches tall.
10. Your name has to be taped to your creation.
11. Last but not least....no metal...it has to be all wood....and glue of course.

This is just for fun and to help us all be "creative". This will be an exchange between those that participate.
Hey Hey!!! I thought I felt me ears burning!!!!!:eek:

I Promise not to bring over 30-40 tools!!!!!!!! :eek:
Lol Steve

Waymon Campbell
08-08-2004, 10:36 PM
Tyler,

How about 18 September 2004???? ;) :rolleyes:
Just get the boss to fly ya down this way and I'll come pick you up.

Yeah Tyler, come on down. Maybe Dennis can convert both of use over to the dark side :eek: (turning)...

Dennis Peacock
08-08-2004, 10:44 PM
Yeah Tyler, come on down. Maybe Dennis can convert both of use over to the dark side :eek: (turning)...

Hey Waymon,

Next time you come through Arkansas....at least "wave" at me.!! ;) :p

If you ever travel towards Oklahoma via I-40....you will pass within 5.2 miles of my house....So stop on by.!!! :D

Terry Hatfield
08-08-2004, 10:52 PM
LOL....one thing for sure...we are gonna have a fun time. 'Course, it helps when most if not all of the atendees and hosts are just a little nuts!! :D

t

Waymon Campbell
08-08-2004, 10:55 PM
Hey Waymon,

Next time you come through Arkansas....at least "wave" at me.!! ;) :p

If you ever travel towards Oklahoma via I-40....you will pass within 5.2 miles of my house....So stop on by.!!! :D

Dennis - I waved to you on the way to Five Barns :) . However, LOML and several other motorists thought I had gone insane. Of course I tmight have been because I was waving in the direction of an empty field.

Waymon Campbell
08-08-2004, 10:57 PM
LOL....one thing for sure...we are gonna have a fun time. 'Course, it helps when most if not all of the atendees and hosts are just a little nuts!! :D

t

Terry - Maybe being a little screwy (instead of nuts) might be more apropos in a woodworking sense :D :) :D .

Terry Hatfield
08-08-2004, 10:59 PM
Terry - Maybe being a little screwy (instead of nuts) might be more apropos in a woodworking sense :D :) :D .

Waymon,

Nope, I'm pretty sure it's NUTS!!! :D You just gotta know this crowd as well as I do. My belly usually hurts for a week or more after the BBq's. Partly from eating but mostly from laughing. :D

t

David Rose
08-09-2004, 3:04 AM
Terry is right. Anytime there is a meeting at his house, their is a NUT present! And I ain't talkin' about his sweet wifie! And it sort of wears off on those present. Who can resist having fun when he is rolling on the floor laughing? :D

Waymon, you'll bet he'll try to turn you to the dark side of turning. He thinks the world is ROUND!!! :eek:

Dennis I was OK on your strange idea for scrap art, until you got to number ten. Is an alias OK? I don't need any glue to make my scraps look like something. They look like scraps! And that's as far as my "art" goes.

Tyler, I'm more than a little disappointed in ya dude! I thought the whole BBQ this year was to be in your honor. And you aren't planning to come to your party? Geeze! ...we'll wait for "someday" then... :o Just remember... it's some of the best BBQ you'll ever miss! ;) That brisket will melt in your mouth! And that's not saying anything about the hotdogs and hamburgers that Terry knows how to grill!

Terry I can't believe there will be ribs there this year too!!! This may just be the ultimate CS BBQ ever. Are the guys planning to smoke them? I'll volunteer my smoker (a little Brinkman) if it will help. I have probably a literal ton of hickory for it. I can either get it to your house or we can do them here. Let me know. I may need a hand getting it onto a trailor if we take it to your place.

I have lots of walnut, cherry, and maple scraps if you want anything precut and drilled for pens. I'm not a turner, as I believe wood was created to be made into flat things, but I'll offer that service if someone will give me dimensions and tolerances. I do believe in round drill bits.

Terry do you still live in Springdale? :p The last map you sent me ended up heading me in the opposite direction. :( I'm sure it was an "accident".

I talked to Bobby Hatfield this afternoon and he is hoping (if the "pieces" fit togther) to come again too. Has he said anything to you about it Terry?

Steve, don't forget my offer on some of that walnut.

David, who is quickly developing internal threads

Terry Hatfield
08-09-2004, 8:37 AM
David,

You gotta cut down on the caffine. :p

Steve said they were bringing ribs ready to eat. Those would be my favorite kind. :D

I think we are OK on the wood for the blanks. I'll let you know if we need more.

I do still live in Springdale. Disregard any "gag" map sent earlier. :D

I spoke to Bobby as well. Hopefully he will make it. I told him he "had" to be here.

t

Chris Padilla
08-09-2004, 1:54 PM
We need a pic of the clamps you have, Terry! Please!!! I hear they look funny.... :D

Am I the only yahoo flying in? Flying into Kansas City no less.... :D

Dennis Peacock
08-09-2004, 2:08 PM

Chris....

Just make sure you "work out" a LOT before you fly in to KC.!!! You'll need lots of upper-body strength to flap all the way here.!! :eek: :D :p

Chris Padilla
08-09-2004, 3:04 PM
I'll be powerfully hungry after all that flappin'...will there be lottsa food?? ;)

Steve Clardy
08-09-2004, 3:12 PM
We need a pic of the clamps you have, Terry! Please!!! I hear they look funny.... :D

Hmmm. I have some good connections down there;) in Arkie land. I heard that your clamps may have a high possibility of being ORANGE!!:eek:

Terry Hatfield
08-09-2004, 4:41 PM
I'll be powerfully hungry after all that flappin'...will there be lottsa food?? ;)

If you can fly yourself here...we can certainly feed ya. :D Having enough food will not be the trouble.

t

David Rose
08-09-2004, 5:18 PM
Terry, don't blame everything on my caffeeeeeeeeeeeiiiiiine! For some reason I start to get a little giddy about a month before the get together every year. I suspect that is mostly your fault! If it wasn't so much fun, I don't think this would happen.

Those Texicans can still send the ribs to my house first. They ought to be inspected for shipping and smoke damage and such. :D

I told Bobby there would be a huuuuge hole if he wasn't here. He needs to come as badly as we need him. That should be "easy". ;)

Chris, you won't be able to make a dent in the food supply!

Steve, I heard the new clamps were stolen. Is that what you heard? ;) Terry, I can't remember if you keep a loaded gun... though that might be preferable to Payton catching me.

David

David,

You gotta cut down on the caffine. :p

Steve said they were bringing ribs ready to eat. Those would be my favorite kind. :D

I think we are OK on the wood for the blanks. I'll let you know if we need more.

I do still live in Springdale. Disregard any "gag" map sent earlier. :D

I spoke to Bobby as well. Hopefully he will make it. I told him he "had" to be here.

t

Chris Padilla
08-09-2004, 7:31 PM
Chris, you won't be able to make a dent in the food supply!

Steve, I heard the new clamps were stolen. Is that what you heard? ;) Terry, I can't remember if you keep a loaded gun... though that might be preferable to Payton catching me.

David
Uh, oh...do I hear a food-eating contest in the works? You know a skinny little Japanese kid has won the Nathan's hotdog eating contest for 2 or 3 years in a row now--keeps breaking is own record. I'm a skinny little guy and I can eat! :D

Those clamps better be under Terry's pillow every night unitl their owner's come "rescue" them! :D

Kevin Gerstenecker
08-09-2004, 7:41 PM
I GOTTA SEE THIS! The Skinny California Young'un out-chowin' the Good 'ol Country Boys from down Arkie way. :D
Now Chris, you may be able to eat...................but I gotta put my money on the "Arkie Gang". Terry, just lock Payton in the shop for a few days.........that oughtta put the edge on the side of the "Country Boys". ;)

('course, we gotta let everybody get thru the chow line once before we cut Payton loose...............after all, folks ARE expectin' to eat, ya know!) :p

David Rose
08-09-2004, 8:11 PM
Kevin, you are a wise fellow. But you must not have watched Payton eat more than a meal or two (or ten). If you lock him away from food for over 30 minutes, you've got serious problems. That is, the LOCKS have serious problems. I think 25 minutes would be plenty to be safe. And then with Terry and Cheryl holding a baseball bat over his head, he will hold it down to about 3x what Chris can eat. :D Then they can lock him back up and we better eat FAST!

Shoot! If it weren't for Chris having to flap his way from CA, I could probably out eat him! No, that is not a challenge Chris. :cool:

I'm sure the Hatfields have this all figured out... someway... I hope. Payton can burn massive quantities of calories just standing still.

David, who has seen Payton turned loose with no restraints

I GOTTA SEE THIS! The Skinny California Young'un out-chowin' the Good 'ol Country Boys from down Arkie way. :D
Now Chris, you may be able to eat...................but I gotta put my money on the "Arkie Gang". Terry, just lock Payton in the shop for a few days.........that oughtta put the edge on the side of the "Country Boys". ;)

('course, we gotta let everybody get thru the chow line once before we cut Payton loose...............after all, folks ARE expectin' to eat, ya know!) :p

Chris Padilla
08-09-2004, 8:21 PM
"Size matters not! Judge me by my size for well you should not!" (Yoda) :D

Okay, okay...don't wanna get myself in trouble but let's just wait and see and BTW, I'm not originally from California...at least cal me The Skinny Colorado Young'un.... :D

Kevin Gerstenecker
08-09-2004, 8:27 PM
Ah....................a Rocky Mountain Man! Beautiful Country, Colorado. Ok, it has been duly noted...............the "Skinny Colorado Young'un" it is! :D

May the force be with you! ;)

Kelly C. Hanna
08-09-2004, 8:54 PM
Terry, how many people do you expect?

David Rose
08-10-2004, 12:37 AM
Awww phooey! With the exception of a few ole cowpokes, Coloradians don't eat either. Now, if you tell us you were a wrangler from CO that might get us worried. :rolleyes: Just bring your flappers and your appetite and we will see what we (Terry and company) can do. :D

What part of the state, Chris? I'm more familiar with your "previous" location.

David

"Size matters not! Judge me by my size for well you should not!" (Yoda) :D

Okay, okay...don't wanna get myself in trouble but let's just wait and see and BTW, I'm not originally from California...at least cal me The Skinny Colorado Young'un.... :D

Terry Hatfield
08-10-2004, 8:46 AM
I'd put my boy's eatin' skills up against any skinny person you can find. You don't get to be 6'6" 350 lbs. by eating salads you know. :D

There will be plenty to go around I'm sure!!! Cherly will make sure of that.

t

Terry Hatfield
08-10-2004, 8:47 AM
Terry, how many people do you expect?

Kelly,

Not sure right now. It always seems to change during the last few days but I'd guess somewhere in the 60 to 80 range.

t

Greg Heppeard
08-10-2004, 9:28 AM
Awww phooey! With the exception of a few ole cowpokes, Coloradians don't eat either. David

Coloradians eat cowpokes???? :eek: Am I in trouble now or what??? :rolleyes:

Dennis Peacock
08-10-2004, 9:38 AM

I'm glad the Coloradians and Cowpokes don't like to eat Razorbacks!!!!!

Now ya'll shush-up 'cause ya'll is makin' me hawngree!!! :D :p

Terry Hatfield
08-10-2004, 10:12 AM
Now ya'll shush-up 'cause ya'll is makin' me hawngree!!! :D :p

d,

LOL....where you from boy????? Sounds like 'bama talk. :D

t

Chris Padilla
08-10-2004, 1:26 PM
What part of the state, Chris? I'm more familiar with your "previous" location.

David
David,

I'm originally from Broomfield, CO...'bout half-way between Denver and Boulder (closer to Boulder).

Did my undergrad in Ft. Collins at CSU and my grad work in Boulder at CU. :)

Dennis Peacock
08-10-2004, 4:48 PM
d,

LOL....where you from boy????? Sounds like 'bama talk. :D

t

t,

Easy now...or I'll sick the Ol' Rebel on you!!! :D :p

d

David Rose
08-10-2004, 6:55 PM
Boy! You have to watch your wording around some folks! :D

Greg, can you make the BBQ? Shoot, load up a big trailor and SELL a buncha stuff! Of course, we could "demo it" first, then get it for a demo price, right? :rolleyes: I "need" a heavily discounted 24" Minimax. :D

David

Greg Heppeard
08-10-2004, 8:22 PM
I plan on being there, David...the only bad thing is, we don't sell mini max. I'm not coming to sell....just eat and meet people and trade :eek: stories. I really don't want to mix too much business with all that pleasure :rolleyes: I might be able to bring some discount coupons for our stores in OK tho... ;) I might bring a couple of new things to the store to show off a little too.

I'm also going to try to make the one in Dallas...won't have any of the store stuff to do at all there....strictly fun. :D

David Rose
08-10-2004, 8:39 PM
Hey! You bring your body first. Anything else will just be gravey! No, I don't mean to go on your body. :D I'm really glad that you can come. I don't blame you for wanting a break from business. You get to play that game all day long. I knew you didn't sell Minimax. :) That is just the tool that has been "pushing my lust button" the worst lately. Don't worry, you'll get MANY item purchases before that one happens. :D

David

I plan on being there, David...the only bad thing is, we don't sell mini max. I'm not coming to sell....just eat and meet people and trade :eek: stories. I really don't want to mix too much business with all that pleasure :rolleyes: I might be able to bring some discount coupons for our stores in OK tho... ;) I might bring a couple of new things to the store to show off a little too.

I'm also going to try to make the one in Dallas...won't have any of the store stuff to do at all there....strictly fun. :D

Greg Heppeard
08-10-2004, 10:17 PM
Can I put the gravy in my body??? please??? Ok, not gravy...bbq sauce?

David Rose
08-11-2004, 1:04 AM
You smell that brisket and you won't remember what gravy is! :D If we keep talking about food, Terry will kno... I mean think his and Cheryl's cooking is the only reason we are coming. There is some food worth driving to the ends of the earth for. ;) But the fellowship is more fun that a barrel of Terrys... I mean monkeys.

David

Can I put the gravy in my body??? please??? Ok, not gravy...bbq sauce?

Kelly C. Hanna
08-11-2004, 8:25 AM
Wow! I'm thinking a couple of smoked turkeys and some of my raspberry chipotle BBQ sauce (for those who don't mind a little spicy food now and then)! For an appetizer, it's between my buddy's fresh pico de gallo or my world famous hot sausage chile con queso. I guess you can tell I like it hot!

Dennis Peacock
08-11-2004, 9:27 AM
Wow! I'm thinking a couple of smoked turkeys and some of my raspberry chipotle BBQ sauce (for those who don't mind a little spicy food now and then)! For an appetizer, it's between my buddy's fresh pico de gallo or my world famous hot sausage chile con queso. I guess you can tell I like it hot!

You just bring that Hot Chili..!!!! And we'll take care of it for ya.!!! :eek: :D
Don't wimp out on the hot stuff.....If I ain't sweatin' from the spice of the food, then it ain't hot enough. :p

Chris Padilla
08-11-2004, 9:59 AM
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=9691&page=1

Terry,

I'll have 3 or 4 EurekaZone SmartBases up for door prizes for something or other. Dino sent me several and I am only too happy to distribute them amongst the crowd for your picnic. The link for the original giv-a-way is above.

Scott Coffelt
08-11-2004, 2:21 PM
I'm really looking forward to it this year. I am sure we'll have to bring some of that good old KC area BBQ sauce. Jack and I can pull together a nice little variety of the local favorites (Gates, KC Masterpiece, Arthur Bryant's, etc.).

I'll have to rig it so I can win one of those Eureka Bases....

Chris Padilla
08-11-2004, 3:09 PM
Scott,

You never know...I may just hand one off to you for allowing me to sleep under your table saw..for two nights!!.... :D

Scott Coffelt
08-11-2004, 3:38 PM
You know the room charge is always free, for a good conversation, but hey one wouldn't argue if I found it in my shop the next week. :D

Kelly C. Hanna
08-11-2004, 7:20 PM
Fear not, I will bring extra peppers! BTW it's chili (peppers) con (with) queso (cheese sauce). Some say it's the best in the free world. :D

Dennis Peacock
08-11-2004, 8:33 PM
Fear not, I will bring extra peppers! BTW it's chili (peppers) con (with) queso (cheese sauce). Some say it's the best in the free world. :D

Hey Kelly.....

Just bring me a "gallon" for starters.!!! :eek: :D

Terry Hatfield
08-11-2004, 9:25 PM

Kelly,

Are you bringin' rollaids too????? :D

t

Steve Clardy
08-11-2004, 9:40 PM
Kelly,

Are you bringin' rollaids too????? :D

t
Lets see here. Ribs, Brisket, other goodies. HOT Sauce, Bud Lights for Ken, etc etc etc.:D
95 pounds of ROL-AIDS!!!!!!!!!:eek::eek::eek:

Wheew. Wonder if the weather would cool down to 30 degrees in Sept. so we could handle the food?:confused:

Ken will be the only one to put the fire out!!!!!!! Lol

Kelly C. Hanna
08-11-2004, 9:57 PM
Dennis...a gallon of peppers??? You da man!!! :D:D:D:D:D:D

Terry...Rolaids ain't gonna help ya but beer might! :cool: