PDA

View Full Version : Laguna J-12 ??

Rick Fisher
05-07-2009, 2:07 AM
Does anyone here own a Laguna J-12 jointer ???

I have a line on one, and am thinking of pulling the trigger (this week).

I understand they are made by Griggio in Italy, yet it doesnt seem to match anything on the Griggio website..

Would love to hear from someone who has one..

I posted a question about Phase converter amperage here yesterday.. this is the reason for that post.

Thomas S Stockton
05-07-2009, 10:22 AM
I couldn't figure out how to post pics in a PM so here is one. I don't know the cost of the one your looking at but Laguna has a demo on sale in the low $5k price range. I paid $2,500 for mine 1 1/2 years ago. It's a very nice machine and I am very happy with it.
Tom

Joe Jensen
05-07-2009, 11:50 AM
I couldn't figure out how to post pics in a PM so here is one. I don't know the cost of the one your looking at but Laguna has a demo on sale in the low $5k price range. I paid $2,500 for mine 1 1/2 years ago. It's a very nice machine and I am very happy with it.
Tom

WOW, that sounds like an awesome deal. Was that used?

Rick Fisher
05-07-2009, 11:55 AM
Thank you very much for posting that pic. It answered my questions.

The size of the fence is impressive to me.

Thomas S Stockton
05-07-2009, 4:06 PM
It was used out of a 2 man furniture shop. Found it on Woodweb, only drawback was I had to drive 450 miles up to Portland OR to pick it up. Well worth it for the price. I can't say enough about it, it keeps it's settings and the Tersa knives leave a really nice surface and take about 5 minutes to change if I'm moving slow.
One thing that is interesting is that on the back side you can mount a slot mortiser as an option. Never seen the chuck or table so I don't know if you needed to have the machine built to accept it or what or if it like an appendix that is left over from a previous use.
Tom

Joe Jensen
05-07-2009, 5:42 PM
Tom, I have a 1970s SCMI 12" Jointer and it too could that a slot mortiser. But, when I had Byrd make a head for it, they needed a couple hundred dollars extra to machine in the provision for the slot mortiser so I skipped it. I figured I'd never find a 40 year old attachment that sold in low volume. I keep watching, and in a 9 months I haven't seen one...joe