PDA

View Full Version : Printing on wood??

Mike Burroughs
05-07-2009, 2:00 AM
Wondering how this was done.

While on vacation, I ran across a vendor that was selling what seemed to be both laser and scroll saw cut items (name plates, key holders, etc). But instead of painting the wood it almost seemed like images were 'Printed' onto the wood. I looked it over and its not paper laminated onto it, the images are actually seemed 'printed' on the wood and then the unwanted areas were cut out. Anyone know how this is done?

I have pics of the items but not sure if I can post them without getting into trouble..I tried asking the person but he said he just works there and the person that does the work wasn't there.

Mike

Rodne Gold
05-07-2009, 2:24 AM
I had a printer that could print on anything up to a3 size and up to 10cm thick , wood included.
It was called the Busjet and was based on an epson 1290. When it worked , it worked VERY VERY well with direct printing on acrylic , wood , fabrics , aluminium etc. Problem is , it never worked well 90% of the time and I had a lot of problems with it. It sat for 2 yrs in my office - every time I looked at it it aggravated me. One of my woodwork suppliers who made boxes for the wine industry took it over and paid me in "plaques" and he has devoted a lot of time and attention to it and finally got it working ok. It was incredibly cheap to print and the quality was excellent. Some stuff had to be pre coated with an ink receptive laquer and the machine didnt print white.
Most modern UV printers will print directly to wood and will print white - but they are incredibly expensive. The Busjet cost me about the equivalent of $8000 at the time...I was VERY glad to see it go and get the equivalent in product I could sell easily.

Mike Null
05-07-2009, 6:00 AM
Over on the sign forum you'll find posts about CLT. A process for heat transferring color laser toner prints to various substrates. I do not find it to be ideal but on smooth light woods it produces an acceptable result. I assume the cutouts were made with the laser engraver.

Rangarajan Saravana kumar
05-07-2009, 8:11 AM
Hi,

We do have a flatbed printer and uses epson 1290 retrofit model.

The problem is it had clogging, capping unit problems etc.,

Over the period of time, we did try... now its dead almost

switched to CLT printing and sublimation

Flat bed printer - pl go to google and you could see a number of players in china, korea to deal with

My suggestion is go to sub and CLt directly, to minimize your research time , when your flatbed printer stops and lose your valuable time.

My valuable suggestion

Regards,
saravana kumar

Mike Null
05-07-2009, 8:18 AM
I just deleted a post because it was advertising. Unfortunately I didn't get to send the poster a pm explaining why. I'm sorry but I forgot the name.