PDA

View Full Version : Question to those with a Mortise Pal

Eric Roberge
05-07-2009, 12:00 AM
Mine is on the way...he, he :)
So what size bit do you find you use the most for your mortises? I know it may vary depending on the size of the project, but for argument sake lets say I want to build a table or chest and I'm working with 3/4 stock. Here's what I'm thinking:

1/4 - small projects (mission style slats, etc...)

3/8 - Medium size projects (chest or small table)

1/2 - Medium to slightly larger projects (thicker stock)

And do you just cut your tenon stock using the TS and BS?

Thanks guys!

glenn bradley
05-07-2009, 7:13 AM
I'm sure there are as many opinions as there are woodworkers but I generally make the tenon 1/3 of the material thickness. So, as one of many possible examples; assuming a floating tenon, 3/4" apron to 1-1/2" leg would get a 1/4" tenon or two depending on the height of the apron and the use of the table.

To make tenon stock I take a squared piece of stock the thickness I want the tenon height to be (say, 1") and then rip strips off to 1/4", 3/8" or whatever the tenon thickness is to be. I then run them past a roundover bit on all four "corners". I mark one end with a felt pen and store them with my dowels. I cut them to length as required with whatever is handy at the time.

Eric Roberge
05-07-2009, 8:42 AM
Thanks Glenn! That's what I was looking for. The bits are expensive and I don't feel like buying three or more sizes right now, so I think I'm going to go for the 1/4" and 3/8" for the moment and start on my tenon stock for those sizes.:D

Rick Moyer
05-07-2009, 9:05 AM
I have no experience yet doing M&T, but if you are going to buy two bits I would think 1/4 and 1/2. You will likely be using 3/4" and 1 1/2" stock mostly, and they would give you your 1/3 thickness.

Bill Huber
05-07-2009, 9:13 AM
Glenn said it just about the same way I do it, 1/3 the width of the stock.

I haven't done anything but 1/4 inch so far but the one thing to remember that the 1/4 bit in the router will make a 9/32 mortise. Its really no big deal because I always fit the tenon any way.

So replace that little knob and you will be ready to go, I like the tool and it is so easy to use.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=108397

Eric Roberge
05-07-2009, 11:35 AM
I see what you're saying about the 1/4 and 1/2

I guess that I only need the 1/4" one then. I don't see me using any material thicker than 3/4 in the immediate future.
Thanks Bill, Thanks Rick!

glenn bradley
05-07-2009, 12:20 PM
I see what you're saying about the 1/4 and 1/2

I guess that I only need the 1/4" one then. I don't see me using any material thicker than 3/4 in the immediate future.
Thanks Bill, Thanks Rick!

You can always pick up another bit if the requirement comes up. I use Whiteside's RU2100 solid carbide spiral upcut bit for 1/4" stuff. Holbren (http://www.holbren.com/home.php?cat=7) gives you 10% off for being an SMC member. Just enter the code SMC10 at checkout. Brian is also just a great guy to deal with.

Eric Roberge
05-07-2009, 1:34 PM
I've ordered some Oshlun blades from him recently. They were very quick to ship too.

Thanks Glenn!