PDA

View Full Version : Tool gloat & Elect ?

John Fricke
05-06-2009, 8:11 PM
After weeks of scouring craigs list and ebay and only finding deals that were too far away, this saw popped up on my local CL Monday. Delta 28-350 VS control, 13 1/4" resaw capacity $500.00. Now I can get to cutting some serious blanks for the PM.
I do have a question to the more electrical minded. How many amps can I place on a 25' run of 10-3? what size breaker would be safe? I have a 1 1/2 hp dust collector, 2hp PM lathe on it now. I would like to just add on to same circuit to run the BS, it is 1 hp.
thanks

curtis rosche
05-06-2009, 8:17 PM
if it were my step dads shop which i use. it would have its own circuit. we have one for the table saw, one for the chop saw, one for my lathe. one for the drill press. one for the loft lights, one for the workbench lights, one for the light/fans, one for the other lights.................

then again he wired the whole place since he is a retired electrician. you should see our house, switches and circuit galore. 3 full sized panels in the basement

Gerold Griffin
05-06-2009, 8:20 PM
Congrats on the saw. Hope it gives you years of service. Sorry I'm not very electrical. Shocked I wired my shop!:eek: Again Congrats on the band saw.

Mike Stephens
05-06-2009, 8:26 PM
Congratulations. I believe as long as you are only running 1 machine at a time you will be OK.

Richard Madison
05-06-2009, 8:37 PM
John,
A 20 amp breaker should be enough if two machines don't start up simultaneously. If it trips, replace with a 30. That short run of #10 wire will handle it. My HVAC circuit is a 30 amp, with about that same length of same size wire.

Toney Robertson
05-06-2009, 9:32 PM
IIRC, 10 gauge wire will handle 30 amps. As Richard said just don't run more than one machine at a time and you should be fine.

You will probably pop the breaker if you are running one and then try to turn on one of the other ones. Motors pull significantly more amps when they start up.

Sorry I could not be more help.

Toney

Steve Mawson
05-06-2009, 9:34 PM
#10 wire is rated at 30 amps. You don't really want a breaker that is a lot bigger than the amps you pull with the tool on the circuit.

Mark Norman
05-06-2009, 9:56 PM
I hate you John:p

killer deal on the saw!! Congrats!

Bernie Weishapl
05-06-2009, 9:57 PM
John congrats on the bandsaw. Now ya should be in business.

Steve Schlumpf
05-06-2009, 11:35 PM
John - congrats on your new saw! 10 gauge is rated for a max of 30 amps - so either a 20 or 30 amp breaker will work for you.

Jeff Nicol
05-06-2009, 11:39 PM
John, First are all the tools 220V? If so what is the total amperage of all the tools running at once? You should have a separate circuit for the dust collector as it will most likely be on with something else. When you use a #10 wire the equipment that is hooked to it should not be rated for more than 30 amps. If you run to heavy a wire in the circuit you run the risk of the wire getting hot if the tool fails before the breaker is tripped, maybe starting a fire! So If the dust collector can be by itself and the other two will be less than 20 amps you can use #12 wire on 220V and you most of the time will never be running all the tools at once. I have my planer hooked to the same circuit as my PM3520B but never run them at the same time. The 2hp duct collector in on its own 15 amp 2pole breaker as it only draws 9 amps.

What I know,

Jeff

Richard Madison
05-06-2009, 11:56 PM
If you run to heavy a wire in the circuit you run the risk of the wire getting hot if the tool fails before the breaker is tripped, maybe starting a fire!

Jeff, perhaps you meant to say if you run too light a wire it might overheat.