PDA

View Full Version : Bunkbeds and other projects

Wally Alexander
05-06-2009, 7:22 PM
First time posting, been lurking for awhile now. All feedback will be appreciated. The beds are white oak, the boards are walnut/maple and cherry/maple, and the stool is red cedar. The boys are my grandkids. Thanks, Wally

John Keeton
05-06-2009, 7:30 PM
Wally, welcome to the creek!! Beautiful job on the bed - well, and all of the projects for that matter. I really like the "flipped" pattern on the two cutting boards - did you dowel the butt joint?

BTW, the youngster on the bottom bunk has that look - he is just waiting for the next opportunity for mischief:D I have seen the look too many times in my grandsons!

Wally Alexander
05-06-2009, 11:00 PM
No dowels in the boards. I know it seems odd, I didn't come up with the idea. Saw them on one of the forums a few years ago and wanted to make one ever since. Read all the posts I could find on them, and the practice was just to flip and glue. Seems to be quite strong. I haven't dropped one yet so the jury's still out. Thanks for the comments, and you are right on about the grandson, he's a little ball of energy. He is a joy though. Wally

John Thompson
05-07-2009, 9:43 AM
NIce work Wally and welcome...

Sarge..

Rob Cunningham
05-07-2009, 11:26 AM
Nice looking work Wally. Looks like the guys are happy with the bunks.

Danny Thompson
05-07-2009, 12:31 PM
Wow! I can't tell you how angry I am about those boards!:)

So the butt-joint is an endgrain-to-endgrain glue-up?

Great beds, too. Looks like they break down into twins.

Jason Tuinstra
05-07-2009, 12:34 PM
Wally, welcome to SMC! Thanks for the post. When I'm a grandfather someday, the Lord wiling, I trust that I'll take the same care and attention to show the same love and affection. Good for you. Great job all the way around.