PDA

View Full Version : Delta Lathes

Eddie Watkins
08-08-2004, 12:31 AM
I've been thinkiing about getting a lathe to turn some legs and possibly bowls. I wasn't quite ready yet, but today I ran across a closeout sale where they have a Delta model 46-715 and a model 46-765X. They are asking $425 for the 46-715 and $1400 for the 46-765X. Both are still new in the box. Does anybody have any experience/ recommendations on either of these? I checked Amazon.com and seems that some people had problems with the 46-715 but there isn't any information on the other.

Thanks,
Eddie:confused:

Dennis Peacock
08-08-2004, 12:59 AM
Eddie,

Get the biggest and best you can afford. I started with a Jet 1236 lathe and I still have it. I just upgraded to a Powermatic 3520A and the difference is like going from a beat up old VW Beatle to a new BMW Sport Coupe!!!!! :eek: Ain't no comparison........

If you can swing the cost of the nicer Delta, I would suggest you go for it.

Just my 2¢ worth....

Eddie Watkins
08-08-2004, 12:05 PM
Dennis,
thanks for the response. I've sure re-bought my share of tools.:o Just because these tools are cheaper than their usual retail cost doesn't make them a bargain. I'm not even tied to Delta at this point. I have been researching drum sanders and this came out of the blue. I thought if I could pick one up cheap AND it was a good tool I would like to try turning. I've seen recommendations on the Jet mini lathe but that's almost an automatic re-buy if you get into turning and want to turn bigger stuff.

Eddie

John Shuk
08-08-2004, 12:12 PM
That big Delta is a pretty nice lathe and for the money it is a great deal. If you san swing it I'd go for it. You won't outgrow it for a long time and it will probably hold it's value pretty well. IMHO

Eddie Watkins
08-11-2004, 11:09 PM
John
followed your advice and got the big Delta > I got it home and found out there is a $50 rebate. It seems like a really nice tool and runs so smooth I can barely hear it. Do you have any advice on turning tools? Seems like most folks talk about Sorby or Crown. Are there anyothers that are good?

Eddie

John Shuk
08-11-2004, 11:31 PM
Eddie,
Nice score on that lathe! I'm a fairly new turner and have been buying a little bit of stuff from different places. I have to say that I really like Packard Woodworking as a supplier. My experience with Craft supply was not great. The products were fine just didn't like waiting 3 weeks for shipping on an instock item. I have a henry Taylor roughing gouge that I like too. I may be going out on a limb here but I think if you go with one of the bigger names ie: Packard, Crown, Sorby, or Henry Taylor you'll be fine. If I left any names out it was strictly by mistake. By the way Gloats are supposed to have Pics!

Gary Max
08-12-2004, 7:31 PM
Eddie
where is this closeout sale at. I would love to find a bargain also???
Thanks

Kevin Gerstenecker
08-12-2004, 9:05 PM
John, I have to second your comment about Packard Woodworking. I ALWAYS look to Packard first when it comes to turning supplies. They have been very helpful, and their service is second to none. The order is always correct, and it gets delivered to me in just a few days............or quicker. Sure, I look at price like everyone, but service is still numero uno with me. By the way, Packard's house brand turning tools are a very good value.............I have several, and I am very happy with them. :)

Eddie Watkins
08-12-2004, 11:32 PM
Thanks again, all.
I added Packard Woodworks to my favorites. The sale is in Shawnee, OK. If you want to know the name of the store e-mail at Eddie-Watkins@att.net and I'll send the name of the store and directions to get to it. I bought the last lathe but they have Several Unisaws, a Genearal contractors saw, a Jet Cabinet saw, dust collectors, combination sanders, and some triangular shaped fans as well as some industrial type mortisers and a really nice work bench with a built in moter for dust collection. They are claiming they're selling the stuff for half price but, if they are, it was overpriced to start. My lathe was marked at $2800 and I never found it anwhere for more than $2000. I paid $1400 - $50 rebate. I'll get some pictures as soon as I can.