PDA

View Full Version : Jet jointer part broke...Anyone ever take one apart?

Aaron Wingert
05-06-2009, 5:20 PM
I just got a Jet jj-6CSX 6" jointer for $300 with a mobile base from a friend of mine in what appeared to be pristine condition. When I went to adjust the infeed bed upward (it was set 1/4" low) it was really resisiting going any farther upward. In the process of trying to crank the handwheel I managed to break the cast iron "ball crank infeed" part, part #25 in this diagram.
http://woodworking.jettools.com/PartDetails.aspx?BDID=798
The piece of the part that broke is the actual part that the line from the #25 is pointing right at in the picture...Broke that little tab off. That tab is what pulls the bed upward when you turn the handwheel.

I've ordered the part from Jet and should get it within a few days. I'd like to fix it myself and consider myself a fairly mechanically inclined guy, but I don't want to bite off more than I can chew.

Has anyone ever taken the infeed bed assembly off a Jet jointer, and was it a real booger or was it reasonably simple? Not too sure where to start.

The guy that sold me the jointer is a friend and wouldn't knowingly hose me. I was cranking hard on the handwheel and probably forced the break, but I don't know what was causing it to bind in the first place. For as clean as the jointer is and with the included mobile base, $300 plus a $24 part still doesn't feel too bad...But a service center visit would hurt a little.

Dave Lehnert
05-06-2009, 5:53 PM
Never taken it apart but do own that jointer.
Part number 49 is an in-feed table lock. Also another lock knob under the in-feed table on the right side. Possible you did not have each lock released?

Trace Beard
05-06-2009, 6:18 PM
I had that jointer and the same part broke on me too. I replaced it and it wasn't a big deal. Maybe took an hour if that. I didn't have to take the bed off, I was able to work underneath the bed.

You should be able to handle it no problem

Tom Veatch
05-06-2009, 6:32 PM
Aaron, if you have the owner's manual for the jointer, you might check page 15, "Infeed Table Depth Stop". It sounds like you may have been trying to adjust the table height with the stop engaged. If you don't have a manual, you can download (http://content.jettools.com/manuals/man_708457K.PDF)one from Jet.

Mike Cutler
05-06-2009, 6:42 PM
Aaron

Yep I broke the same part on my jointer.:o
On the back side of the infeed table you will notice a spring loaded knob. The end of this knob is a pin that automatically engages a hole in the jointer body at 1/8" of the depth of cut.
When you cranked the jointer up, from the 1/4" mark the pin engaged, and now you were trying to move the table with a steel pin holding it and the ball crank piece broke. It will do the same thing if the table is lowered from a position less than 1/8" of cutterhead.

I took the jointer and tables off the machine and did the work on a workbench. IIRC the infeed table will slide upward to remove it. The handle and crank assy have to be removed to get the ball crank out.
It's kind of a little chinese puzzle, but not difficult. Take your time, be patient, and keep the exploded parts drawing out.Keep track of the Gibs, and Ways and write down how far you loosened them to get the table to slide freely.

PS. Remove that pin when you are done, so it doesn't happen again.;)

Aaron Wingert
05-06-2009, 10:46 PM
Thank you guys for the informative responses, I really appreciate it!

Dave and Tom, you hit the nail on the head. I went to the shop and realized that although I was loosening the infeed table depth stop, the plastic ball on the end of the nut was spinning but the nut wasn't loosening. So the pin remained in place the entire time and was solidly engaged into the hole in the side of the infeed bed. :mad: I'm not seeing the purpose of having the depth stop configured like that because the bed has to be in just the right position to engage the pin into the hole, and it is much below the amount of bite that most people would take with a jointer. I used a wrench to loosen the nut/pin assembly and that freed the bed right up. Doggonnit!!!!!

Wish me luck in getting this fixed...I'm starting to think it is achievable now! Thanks!

Steve Rozmiarek
05-07-2009, 12:32 AM
Add me to the list who have done this to break their jointer. It was a while back, so I don't remember the exact procedure to fix it, but it was easy. Bet you don't forget that danged stop next time.:D

Jim Becker
05-07-2009, 7:09 AM
I did the same thing years ago...forgot about the stop and cracked a part :o

sawsndust.com/a-jetjointerfix.htm

Aaron Wingert
05-07-2009, 8:54 AM
Thank you for that link Jim Becker!!! A pictorial how-to covering replacing the ball crank infeed!!! Just goes to show that I'm not the only moron with a jointer. Now I'm all excited for the part to arrive. :)

Jim Becker
05-07-2009, 3:01 PM
No, most of us assume the "moroninc position" from time to time...human nature. We probably all say the same general bad words when we do, too!

Aaron Wingert
05-07-2009, 4:31 PM
Fortunately I do know enough to keep my fingers away from the spinning sharp things. :p

Aaron Wingert
05-11-2009, 12:46 AM
Just a follow-up...
I received the part yesterday and put it in today. There was nothing difficult about the repair at all and honestly now that I've done it I feel silly having worried about it. Jim's link to the instructional articly made it a breeze. The repair took 20 minutes and I was up and running.

Thanks all.

Dan Scherer
06-10-2010, 11:35 PM
Theguy who I bought my jointer from did the same thing. Looking at the parts diagram, I would guess it is number 45 JEA-BO6

Aaron Wingert
06-11-2010, 8:44 AM
Theguy who I bought my jointer from did the same thing. Looking at the parts diagram, I would guess it is number 45 JEA-BO6

Dan as I recall the part was called the ball crank infeed. Call the techs at Jet, they'll know exactly what you need. Easy to fix, trust me.

Steven Birenbaum
06-20-2020, 12:40 PM
Hey Jim - I came across this thread as I appear to have broken the same part. The link you provided doesn't resolve and was wondering if you can send me the article before I start as it may be helpful in guiding me.

thanks,
steve

Jim Becker
06-20-2020, 4:30 PM
Steven, this thread originated in 2009. The website no longer exists so I unfortunately cannot help you with resolving the link.

Bob Jones 5443
06-20-2020, 6:28 PM
I just got a Jet jj-6CSX 6" jointer for $300 with a mobile base from a friend of mine in what appeared to be pristine condition. When I went to adjust the infeed bed upward (it was set 1/4" low) it was really resisiting going any farther upward. In the process of trying to crank the handwheel I managed to break the cast iron "ball crank infeed" part, part #25 in this diagram.
http://woodworking.jettools.com/PartDetails.aspx?BDID=798
The piece of the part that broke is the actual part that the line from the #25 is pointing right at in the picture...Broke that little tab off. That tab is what pulls the bed upward when you turn the handwheel.

I've ordered the part from Jet and should get it within a few days. I'd like to fix it myself and consider myself a fairly mechanically inclined guy, but I don't want to bite off more than I can chew.

Has anyone ever taken the infeed bed assembly off a Jet jointer, and was it a real booger or was it reasonably simple? Not too sure where to start.

The guy that sold me the jointer is a friend and wouldn't knowingly hose me. I was cranking hard on the handwheel and probably forced the break, but I don't know what was causing it to bind in the first place. For as clean as the jointer is and with the included mobile base, $300 plus a $24 part still doesn't feel too bad...But a service center visit would hurt a little.

Aaron, great buy for $300! Mine was $500 new in 2002. It's a solid, reliable machine that's still going strong for me –– especially after I checked in here to ask for adjustment advice. Enjoy!