PDA

View Full Version : Need chuck

jason lambert
05-06-2009, 4:06 PM
I have a vicmark 5" chuck and love it but don't want to buy more and more jaws I like the ones on tehre and use them alot so that I want to leave set up. Now I need a smaller chuck for smaller projects, or at least smaller jaws. The vicmarks are quite expensive by the time I get done with jaw set up's. Is there a cheaper good chuck out there that might come with several jaws?

Mike Minto
05-06-2009, 4:28 PM
Penn State Industries has a line of chucks called 'Barracuda' that come with multiple jaw sets; Grizzly has some less inexpensive chucks; even the Nova G-3 is not too expensive, although only comes with one jaw set. Mike

Bernie Weishapl
05-06-2009, 4:44 PM
Jason I have 3 grizzly's with Vicmarc jaws on them. The $99 grizzly is the clone of the Vicmarc VM100. I also have one of the Vicmarc VC 100's.

Bill Mitchel
05-06-2009, 6:46 PM
I have the One Way Talon and it works great. Hartville tool has, as far as I know, the best price @ $142.

Bill Bolen
05-06-2009, 7:31 PM
What Bernie said! The grizz chuck is very well made, runs true and strong. The grizz site only has 2 jaw sets but heck all the vicmarc jaws fit them...Bill..

Tim Cleveland
05-06-2009, 7:33 PM
The Nova midi and G3 are both very well made chucks and fairly inexpensive. I've heard alot of good things about the Grizzly chucks too.

Tim

Ryan Baker
05-06-2009, 8:35 PM
The Grizzly is the obvious choice in your case since they take the Vicmarc jaws. Then you will still be able to interchange jaws when you need to.

jason lambert
05-06-2009, 11:15 PM
Not really I have the bigger Vicmark chuck thoes jaws do not fit the Grizzly so I am starting from scratch.

But it sound like the Grizzly or Talon is the way to go.

Jeff Nicol
05-06-2009, 11:23 PM
I have the PSI barracudda II and it is a wonderful little chuck for the price and what you get in the kit. I plan on buying another body to have the #3 jaws and the #2 jaws ready to go all the time. I have a nova chuck also that uses the tommy bars to tighten and it is great also. My big chuck is a Oneway Stronghold and it is a monster! So buy what you like or like what you buy, but the money you can afford will tell the tale.

Jeff

Scott Conners
05-07-2009, 11:19 PM
Another strong vote of support for the Barracuda 2! I am SO glad I started with this chuck, there's no way I could have afforded all the jaws I use every time I turn that came included with the Barracuda. Just like Jeff, I plan on buying another body or two as soon as funds are available, I change jaws pretty much every day and it gets old fast. The only downside is that when I move up in lathes, I'll need to have an adapter to put it on a larger spindle.

BTW, if you have a 1.25"x8tpi spindle, you're out of luck on PSI's offerings, the Barracuda 4 is only for 1.5"x8 spindles, according to their website, and the B2 only fits 1"x8 and 0.75"x8 spindles. Not sure why that is, when most larger popular lathes have a 1.25" spindle.

Mark Norman
05-07-2009, 11:41 PM
BTW, if you have a 1.25"x8tpi spindle, you're out of luck on PSI's offerings, the Barracuda 4 is only for 1.5"x8 spindles, according to their website, and the B2 only fits 1"x8 and 0.75"x8 spindles. Not sure why that is, when most larger popular lathes have a 1.25" spindle.

Looks like an adapter is available for 1-1/4 - 8 threads

http://www.pennstateind.com/store/CSCBARR4.html?mybuyscid=1541683377

Standard thread is 1-1/2" x 8tpi. Adapters available: #LABAR418 converts to 1" x 8tpi, #LABAR4114 converts to 1-1/4 x 8tpi, #LABARM33 converts to M33 x 3.5tpi

I'm real close to buying one myself. Looke like its just what the doctor ordered for my needs.

edit to fix the link...