PDA

View Full Version : Wood working For Sale

Paul Geer
05-06-2009, 3:20 PM
How many of you, other than flea markets, have booths at these "Farmers Markets" that are starting to pop up across the country to sell your wares?

If you do flea markets, it's OK to chime in.

Cliff Rohrabacher
05-06-2009, 10:08 PM
Long ago when I was just a young un I tried to earn money plying my craft.

I learned one thing well:
There ain't no way quicker to take all the fun out of thing like turning it into a business.

Allan Froehlich
05-07-2009, 6:47 AM
The best luck I had was back when I delivered pizzas:
If the house/condo/apartment looked nice, then I told them that I built furniture.

People go to flea markets when they want a deal.
I say go find a free webhosting site and then advertise in a local newspaper.

Bruce Shiverdecker
05-07-2009, 10:29 PM
I'm in my 5th year at a Saturday morning Market. It started as mostly farmers and I was there trying to get donations to help my Freedom Pen work.

The second year, I worked out a deal with the promoter to display my work and IF I SOLD ANY, I would pay the daily rate.

Year three, I became a full season vendor. We have an average of 60-70 vendors with over 100 signed up, and space for 85 at a time.

The farmers have not increased substantially and do very well. The Artists are now 60 -70 % of the vendors. I don't make a fortune there, but sold enough the first Saturday, last year. to pay for the whole year. $180.00 for 18 weeks. $20.00 day for sporadic vendors.

I don't consider what I do a business. I turn when I want to. If it becomes HAVE TO, then I'll stop. I agree with Cliff, I want to keep it fun!

I have gotten commissions from being there and a relationship that started at the market led to a patron who bought over $500.00 in the fall.

I DO NOT go to flea markets and shows marketed as only Craft Shows. I find that customers at flea markets and craft shows around here are not interested in anything of my quality or price points.

Bruce

Karl Brogger
05-07-2009, 10:37 PM
and then advertise in a local newspaper.

I ran an ad for 2-1/2 months in the local paper last year. Got about a dozen calls. One lady wanted me to fix a antique doll house, to which I said no way. Two calls for countertops, which I don't do. and about 9 phone calls from other newspapers wanting me to put ads in their papers. Never again. But that could be just an isolated incident.