PDA

View Full Version : A few pics of eggs Critique requested

Brian Brown
05-06-2009, 3:03 PM
Work has been really busy the last couple of months, so I am very slow getting these posted. Our Club challenge for April was to make eggs since easter was coming up. My entry:

Apparantly I misunderstood the assignment.

I also made these. These are my first attempts at eggs, so they are a bit off. The red one must have come from an ostrich. It is about 4 inches long, made out of box elder burl, and dyed with red Artisan dye.

The segged one is mahogany, purple heart, yellow heart, and some red and yellow dyed veneers. I always wanted to try a seggy piece with curved lines, and this one seemed right. It came out a bit small at about 2" long. Because it is segmented, it is hollow. SWMBO thought I needed a way to show it was hollow, so it has a small wood ball inside that rattles when you pick it up.

David Walser
05-06-2009, 3:39 PM
Brian,

I like each of your eggs. In particular, I like the segmented egg and the whimsical fried egg. While the red egg is too large to be from a chicken, the shape is well within the normal range of shapes for chicken eggs. Well done.

Bernie Weishapl
05-06-2009, 3:48 PM
Brian those are great looking eggs. I really like the segmented one.

Joshua Dinerstein
05-06-2009, 3:54 PM
I like them. Excellent work. Especially the first one. A clever twist on the "assignment". Very nice!

Joshua

Mike Minto
05-06-2009, 5:04 PM
I prefer mine scrambled (just kidding, very nice work!). mike :p

Greg Ketell
05-06-2009, 5:11 PM
Man those are gorgeous! Great work.

GK

Steve Schlumpf
05-06-2009, 5:25 PM
Brian - very nice work! The first egg made me laugh from the gut! Thanks for that as I wasn't expecting it! Really like the seggy egg! Beautiful colors, design and form! Very nice! You didn't mention if you won anything as a result of the challenge. Figured you must of won something! ??

Terry Rothwell
05-06-2009, 5:27 PM
Very nice work Brian!

John Beaver
05-06-2009, 5:57 PM
Brian,
I really like the fried egg, very clever.
Also like the seggy egg. How did you make the curves ?

Larry Marley
05-06-2009, 6:14 PM
Those are great Brian!

The fried egg is hilarious, and well made.

I was thinking a Celtic knot would look good on an egg, but the way you did it with the purple heart and veneer layers is very nice.

Larry

Brian Brown
05-06-2009, 6:42 PM
Yeah, Steve, I won something. The boobie prize. In theme with the "Egg" contest, They gave me a rubber chicken. The fried egg was voted best of the challenge. Our club president is trying really hard to make this fledgling group go. I usually try to shake up the challenges by making something unexpected, just to help develop interest in trying something new and unusual. Don't really know if it is working or not. I work on the club night every month for the rest of the year. Not sure if I will make any more meetings.

Brian Brown
05-06-2009, 7:02 PM
Brian,
How did you make the curves ?

Malcolm Tibbetts book talks about how make curves in the "lamination trickery" section. They are not hard to make, just hard to visualize before you turn. If you can visualize it from the goofy drawings below, you just orient your accent line at an angle in the bolcks that make up the ring. The steeper the angle, the deeper the curve. Very similar to how a celtic knot is made. Hope that makes sense.

Tim Cleveland
05-06-2009, 7:28 PM
I really like your twist (both of them) on the whole egg thing. Always good to shake things up a bit.

Tim

Greg Just
05-06-2009, 8:32 PM
They are all very nice. I like the fried egg most of all. I turned some eggs around Easter and it was difficult to get the shape just right. Nice job Brian.

Jeff Nicol
05-06-2009, 11:45 PM
Brian, I really like the seggy eggy! It has some wonderful color and great shape! The little stand is great too!

Good work,

Jeff

Ken Fitzgerald
05-06-2009, 11:51 PM
Brian.....very, very nice........ingenius........well done! I like them all!