PDA

View Full Version : Steel City Toolworks Table Saw

Greg Hines, MD
05-06-2009, 2:43 PM
How do Creekers feel on the power and ability on the Steel City Table saw:

woodcraft.com/product.aspx?ProductID=842711&FamilyID=21201

This seems like a great deal on a cabinet saw, including riving knife. What are the opinions?

Doc

Joe Scharle
05-06-2009, 3:47 PM
I think it's a great deal and a great saw. I bought the Sears version almost 5 years ago at that very price and thought I got a good deal then.

Robert Chapman
05-06-2009, 5:36 PM
I have a Steel City TS and really like it. I would offer the following suggestions: Get the Deluxe Fence - it's about $100 more but a really good fence, and I would not get the granite top for two reasons -1. It can break of you drop something heavy on it and 2. You can't bolt extensions or a router table to it.

Edwood Ferrari
05-06-2009, 6:02 PM
Oh man I looked at that saw compared to the Ridgid R4511 and came this ->||<- close to buying the 35920. But with Home Depot's big tool sale I was able to buy the R4511 for $450. The differences between the two are the Ridgid has a 1 1/2 hp motor, only a 3/4 cabinet and only comes with the riving knife/guard assembly otherwise identical except for the paint. I didn't find the SC to be worth $200 more so I went with the Ridgid.

Ed

Adam Cavaliere
05-06-2009, 6:16 PM
Edwood,

I think there is a big difference in how the trunions are mounted. Please correct me if I am wrong, but I believe the ridgid has the trunions mounted to the top of the saw. I can say that I know for a fact that the trunions on the Steel City saw are attached to the cabinet.

If you look at this link: http://www.steelcitytoolworks.com/products_tools.cfm?section=2&category=12&tool=35920 , you will see that they speak about this on the left hand side of the site.

Greg,

I'd highly recommend the Steel City table saw. I have been very happy with my tools from Steel City and their customer service is great!

Paul Ryan
05-06-2009, 8:24 PM
I have a Steel City TS and really like it. I would offer the following suggestions: Get the Deluxe Fence - it's about $100 more but a really good fence, and I would not get the granite top for two reasons -1. It can break of you drop something heavy on it and 2. You can't bolt extensions or a router table to it.

The industrial fence is actually the one you want. That is the bies clone that many including me think is better than any fence on the market today. I don't think you are interested in the granite, but if you are go for it. I had a granite 3hp SC saw and loved it. The granite is really nice. For some reason it is always the people that have never owned one that say "don't buy the granite it will break". Ya, and cast iron will break too. I have never heard anyone that owned a granite SC saw say they didn't like it. It is plenty durable. Don't let the granite discourage you, unless you like to drill and tap your cast tools, or use magnetic jigs.

That is an ok price on that saw. It is basically the same as the craftsman zip code saw with a cheaper fence. My advice do some looking and buy a saw with the industrial fence, you will never need another table saw then. It is a lighter duty saw, but for a home hobbiest it will last along time.

I just noticed that it is a granite saw. There is nothing wrong with the granite, you will like it. It is super slick, wont rust, and is pefectly flat. You can sharpen on it, it is really nice.

The trunions on the ridgid saw are mounted to the cabinet not the table.

If you look around there are better deals around. Like the one on this link. I know it is in IA but I have to believe you should be able to find the same deal around your area.

http://www.woodsmithstorespecials.com/main/sale09.html

Jason White
05-06-2009, 9:05 PM
Seems to be the exact same saw as the new RIDGID hybrid. Just a slightly different cabinet. Probably made in the same factory.

Jason

woodcraft.com/product.aspx?ProductID=842711&FamilyID=21201

This seems like a great deal on a cabinet saw, including riving knife. What are the opinions?

Doc

glenn bradley
05-06-2009, 9:14 PM
Close cousin to the 22124 that Joe mentions less the Bies fence but with a granite top, mobile kit and a riving knife. Part of the trunnion would be different to incorporate the RK but all in all Orion is turning out some nice machines. I would ask owners of this and the Rigid cousin about the fence. The 1-3/4HP on my 22124 has always felt like more so I think power-wise you will be OK. Power and the fence make or break a saw for me. My Bies is, well, a Bies but there are many other nice fences. You would just want to hear that this is one of them from some owners to add to your comfort level.

glenn bradley
05-06-2009, 9:21 PM
Edwood,

I think there is a big difference in how the trunions are mounted. Please correct me if I am wrong, but I believe the ridgid has the trunions mounted to the top of the saw.

Rigid (4511) trunnions are cabinet mounted. (http://www.ridgid.com/Tools/R4511-Table-Saw/)

Adam Cavaliere
05-06-2009, 9:37 PM
I stand corrected! Thanks for the input on the trunnions with the ridgid models.

Darin German
05-06-2009, 9:53 PM
I have lurked here for a while and just became a member to give you my opinion of this saw. I had been working with a Craftsman jobsite saw and fighting the accuracy on it at every step, so I was going to buy a contractor style saw before this and the Ridgid clone came out. A few reasons why I bought this one: Priced right at the top of my budget for a new saw. I have seen 90% positive feedback about Steel City table saws. The fence is similar in style to the Delta T2 fence, just lacking the fence faces, which I have seen mostly positive feedback on. The fence locks tight and accurately. This fence is not as smooth or polished in finish as the Steel City Industrial Fence as previously stated but to obtain that fence would have shot me right out of the budget, which I was stretching anyway. If you have the cash, I would recommend upping to the industrial fence which is availabe on this saw as a 39530, .http://www.steelcitytoolworks.com/products_tools.cfm?section=2&category=12&tool=35930 I had a chance to play with the industrial fence where I bought my saw and loved it, but not the price tag. The saw comes with riving knife/blade guard, low profile standard kerf knife and low profile thin kerf knife, so I didn't have to fuss with obtaining them like I would if I'd bought the Ridgid. The full cabinet has an integrated mobile base which is functional, but I doubt as nice as some aftermarket or even the higher line steel city saw mobile bases. The cabinet mounted trunnions were highly touted by anyone who was asked, and my setup went smooth and any adjustments I made were reletively easy. The hardest adjustment was setting the riving knife perfectly with the blade. The saw also came with a promotional Forrest Woodwerker II blade which is absolutely the best blade for ripping or cutting hardwood that I have used. The rip cuts in oak look like they came right off the jointer. I couldn't find a darn saw mark in any of my rips in oak. I also opted to buy this saw over the Ridgid, because a locally owned woodworking store had it in stock, and I was able to deal with them directly, they were able to answer all questions, and they routinely deal with Steel City representatives, if I had any problems. I liked being able to support a local business over the big orange box. Just my opinion though. At first I was hesitant about the granite, but after owning it, I like it. Price was what drove me to granite. I expect some small chips here and there over a long period of time but as for it breaking or cracking, get your hands on it and you will see that its thick and solid. I couldn't be happier with my purchase.

Myk Rian
05-06-2009, 9:58 PM
I like my SC hybrid. Especially the 5 year warranty, and industrial fence.

Greg Hines, MD
05-06-2009, 10:08 PM
I am more than a little bit surprised with the trepidation about the granite. It appears to be a good quality, close grain granite, and should last for years. While I do in fact have a couple of anvils, I rarely suspend them over a table saw, or any other tool, for that matter, so I am not concerned about chipping or cracking it.

I do like the idea of being able to sharpen something on the table, though I doubt I ever would. I have enough trouble with swarf without getting it all over a brand new saw.

Does anyone know if Woodcraft sells the granite top saw with the industrial fence?

Doc

glenn bradley
05-06-2009, 10:38 PM
I stand corrected! Thanks for the input on the trunnions with the ridgid models.
No worries. We're all here to share. There are some very similar looking saws out there with very different insides :).

Andy Bardowell
05-06-2009, 10:50 PM
I seriously looked at this saw before settling on a PM Greg, would have paid $1500 for it up here so that’s a great price. That’s the saw to get imho if you are considering hybrids.

Darin German
05-06-2009, 10:58 PM
Greg, although the 35930 is not listed on Woodcraft's website, they sell a good amount of Steel City products and would probably be able to special order one for you if they don't have it in the store. I would call your closest Woodcraft and find out.

scott spencer
05-07-2009, 3:47 AM

Here are a couple of pics of the guts of an R4511, which is supposed nearly identical to the SC35920/35930 hybrids.

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y203/hewood/sawparts/r4511topview.jpg

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y203/hewood/sawparts/R4511Trunion.jpg

Greg Coleman
05-07-2009, 6:53 AM

Doc

I don't have the table saw. I do have the SC granite topped band saw. I will tell you my experience with customer service. The quick detension device had been changed between the time my saw was shipped to retailers and the time I bought it. After assembly I could not detension it. I called Steel City and much to my surprise a real person answered. The gentleman offered to talk me through the fix, or ship me a retrofit kit with instructions. I opted for the retrofit. Three day later I was detensioning my blade when I remember to do it.

glenn bradley
05-07-2009, 7:03 AM
Here are a couple of pics of the guts of an R4511, which is supposed nearly identical to the SC35920/35930 hybrids.

Thanks Scott. You are always a great resource on this stuff.

John Thompson
05-07-2009, 10:41 AM
You have to move up to the 35900 (cast iron table I believe) or 35930 (granite) to get the Industrial fence. It is sold separate to upgrade but why end up with two fences? I've been using a granite jointer fence for 2 years and don't have any chips BTW.

Sarge..