PDA

View Full Version : Bowl blank question.

Terry Rothwell
05-06-2009, 2:26 PM
When you guys cut bowl blanks from a log do you leave the pith intact and try to center it in the piece or do you try to remove it. I have a couple of Box Elder and four Black Walnut logs that I will be milling in the near future and I would like to make some blanks before I turn them into lumber. Thank you, Terry.

alex carey
05-06-2009, 2:29 PM
You should almost always get rid of the pith because it is most likely to crack.

Terry Rothwell
05-06-2009, 2:34 PM
I thought so. Another newbie ?, should the grain always run parallel with the lathe?

Steve Schlumpf
05-06-2009, 2:49 PM
Terry - the only time I leave the pith in the wood is if I know I am going to rough turn it immediately. If not, remove the pith and be sure to seal the wood.

When turning a bowl and the grain runs parallel to the bed of the lathe - it is called end grain. When the grain is perpendicular to the bed of the lathe it is called face grain. Most bowls are turned face grain - most vases (elongated forms) are turned end grain. You can turn with the grain in any direction you wish - but those are the norms.

Terry Rothwell
05-06-2009, 2:57 PM
Thanks guys! All of the pictures of bowls and hollowforms posted here have me wanting to try my hand at something other than spindles. I called Woodcraft today and the chucks that Nova is making for the Delta reversible lathe came in yesterday so hopefully I will be able to sneak off tomorrow and go pick mine up. I reckon I oughta look at a bowl gouge too, what size is good to start out with? Thanks again, Terry.

Steve Schlumpf
05-06-2009, 3:44 PM
Terry - it all depends on what feels comfortable to you, so when at WC be sure to really check them out as far as feel, weight, handle, etc.... Lot of folks start out with a 1/2" - so that would be a good place to start.