PDA

View Full Version : My first pen, complete!

Dennis McGarry
05-06-2009, 10:44 AM
Ok here is a pic of my first pen.

Its a basic slimline kit from WC with a .25 Maple blank.

I can see that I need to work on the edges around the bushings a lot more. Plus I turned these out of round, couldnt wait until I got a drill press and drilling straight by hand is Hard!

Plus I think there is a small hairline crack in the barrel right above the center ring on the top section, guessing that came from it being a little out of round when I pressed in on.

Thanks for looking..http://content1.myyearbook.com/thumb_userimages/large/2009/05/06/10/thm_thm_phpvZfLqW.jpg

Steve Schlumpf
05-06-2009, 10:57 AM
Dennis - congrats on your first pen! Looks pretty good to me! Looking forward to seeing more of your work!

Dennis McGarry
05-06-2009, 11:01 AM
Thanks Steve,

I am heading out this end of the week to pick up a drill press and a band saw, What I want to do is cut out a v in the top section of the barrel, and add veneers and a different wood back in it before turning, to mimic a custom pool cue look

This trying to drill straight through the blanks with a hand drill just doesn't cut it, wasted 8 blanks trying to get one. Luckily they were only a quarter a piece

Steve Schlumpf
05-06-2009, 11:05 AM
Hummmmmmmm.... more tools! Welcome to the vortex!

John Terefenko
05-06-2009, 11:14 AM
Thanks Steve,

I am heading out this end of the week to pick up a drill press and a band saw, What I want to do is cut out a v in the top section of the barrel, and add veneers and a different wood back in it before turning, to mimic a custom pool cue look

This trying to drill straight through the blanks with a hand drill just doesn't cut it, wasted 8 blanks trying to get one. Luckily they were only a quarter a piece

You could also get a chuck for the lathe and drill on the lathe. It is even straighter than a drill press. You need away to hold the blank straight and still when drilling on a drill press. Yes welcome to the vortex.

Tom Henry
05-06-2009, 11:59 AM
Hummmmmmmm.... more tools! Welcome to the vortex!

Vortex...:eek: SSHHHH...don't scare him off...I need company falling into this black hole...

Dennis McGarry
05-06-2009, 12:12 PM
You could also get a chuck for the lathe and drill on the lathe. It is even straighter than a drill press. You need away to hold the blank straight and still when drilling on a drill press. Yes welcome to the vortex.

I thought of that method, but then I would also need a chuck for the lathe, since all I have at the moment is the faceplate and live center??

Jim McFarland
05-06-2009, 12:40 PM
Congratulations on your 1st pen and I think it looks great! Very addictive hobby! You can buy a drill chuck with #2 (or #1?) Morse taper adapter at Harbor Freight for $5-10 (think I paid $7). I am no fan of HF tools but for this job their drill chuck seems to work fine.

alex carey
05-06-2009, 1:06 PM
Congrats on your first pen its a looker. Looking forward to see more.

Clara Koss
05-06-2009, 1:08 PM
eleganT!!!!! next time make a gothic one!!!!!jejeje:)

Dennis McGarry
05-06-2009, 1:35 PM
eleganT!!!!! next time make a gothic one!!!!!jejeje:)

Any ideas for that? My wife would love it! She is wiccan!

Dennis McGarry
05-06-2009, 3:57 PM
Little better pic.

The pen on the top is the first one I did, I didnt like the nib section and tried to fix it, but ended up messing up the transmission. So had to replace that.

Didnt want to waste a whole kit, so turned another and glued the transmission from the first on in place, doenst turn but pen refill still screws in and out for replacement, just a open pen now. Personl one..

That is the second pic.

Mike Minto
05-06-2009, 5:02 PM
Very nice work!. mike

Dennis McGarry
05-06-2009, 8:40 PM
One more.

I still need to work on getting the two pieces to match up together better and get them turned down all the way. Still have a little bit of a raise around the center ring

This one is Tulipwood

Tom Henry
05-06-2009, 9:31 PM
One more.

I still need to work on getting the two pieces to match up together better and get them turned down all the way. Still have a little bit of a raise around the center ring

This one is Tulipwood

Ohhh...You are sooo in the vortex...there is no way out now...you can tell yourself there is but you are sooo wrong...

Bernie Weishapl
05-06-2009, 9:59 PM
Good looking pens Dennis. The more you do the easier it is.

Billy Tallant
05-06-2009, 11:32 PM
Dennis, congratulations on your 1st pens. They look good. HF chuck works ok. Definately worth the money till you decide to spend more on one. I'm currently using a HF chuck on occasion & see no reason to spend more at this time.

Tom Wilson66
05-06-2009, 11:38 PM
Dennis, I've probably made over a hundred pens, and am still looking for a "perfect" pen;) So what I do is make a batch for the Freedom Pen Project, and get in lots more practice, and send all my "mistakes" overseas:D