PDA

View Full Version : 2009 Pen Exchange Results

Tom Henry
05-06-2009, 9:35 AM
All-

As requested I am starting a new thread for the results of the 2009 Pen Exchange. Please take photos of the pens you receive and post them for all to admire.

Thanks
Tom

Tom Henry
05-06-2009, 12:51 PM
David-

Yours is on its way...Your lucky...it turned out so nice I was going to keep it...:D

Enjoy!
Tom

Allen Neighbors
05-06-2009, 4:38 PM
How did I miss out on this? Guess I just blinked when I should have been reading. :(
Looking forward to seeing all the pens!! :)

Rasmus Petersen
05-07-2009, 2:06 AM
hehe Allan.. im only exchangin with one and have no problem dooing more :) so if your up to it so am i .. (remember shipping to denmark, maby join in with greg)

David Walser
05-08-2009, 3:34 PM
Yesterday FedEx delivered a wonderful pen made Tom Henry. The pen is made from stabilized and dyed box elder burl. The pictures do not do the wonderful grain of the wood justice. Tom did an excellent job with the turning and finishing of the blank.

Tom used a PSI Majestic Squire kit in black and gold titanium plating. I've never seen one of these kits in person before. The mechanism is very smooth and the plating is flawless. Seems like a quality, well-made, kit. For those of us who've not used the kit before, perhaps Tom can chime in with some comments on how easy or hard the kit is to assemble.

Thank you, Tom!

Now, after I take my nephew camping this evening and finish turning my wife's Mother's Day gift, I've got some work ahead of me to make Tom's pen. Tom said he likes wood and I've got some fairly straight Douglas fir 2x4's from the borg I could make some blanks out of. Or, there're those thuya burl and maple burl blanks that have been gathering dust. Decisions, decisions. Any suggestions?

Tom Henry
05-08-2009, 9:48 PM
That is a great looking pen....hahahaha sooo what about everyone else...

Mike Minto
05-09-2009, 9:35 PM
Here's a preview for Tim, and a quick view for those of you participating in the 'Pen Exchange'. I had never turned a pen, but bought a Jet Mini VS lathe a week before the announcement regarding the exchange (and, about 3 weeks before Jet's big sale - way to go, Mike). It's simply a slimline pen, made from Black and White Ebony (had a really hard time getting the brass tubes to adhere to the wood - wasted about 6 of them - finally a combo of expoy and CA worked) sealed with shellac and finished with laqcuer. The black bled somewhat into the white (anyone got a fix for that?) but I think it makes it look sorta aged ivory-like. Tim, it goes in the mail this week! This is actually my second pen; had to keep the first for looking back on, fondly - plus, it's not much of a looker. :D Mike
Attached Thumbnailshttp://www.sawmillcreek.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=117856&stc=1&thumb=1&d=1241914269 (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=117856&d=1241914269) http://www.sawmillcreek.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=117857&stc=1&thumb=1&d=1241914269 (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=117857&d=1241914269) http://www.sawmillcreek.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=117858&stc=1&thumb=1&d=1241914336 (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=117858&d=1241914336)

David Drickhamer
05-09-2009, 9:43 PM
Hi Allen,
I'm in for two other pens but the more the better . I've been turning for a few years. If you want to exchange with someone in Milwaukee let me know.
Dave

David Walser
05-10-2009, 1:14 AM
...The black bled somewhat into the white (anyone got a fix for that?) but I think it makes it look sorta aged ivory-like. ...

Mike,

That's a very nice pen. I'm sure Tim will like it a lot.

As for your question about how to keep darker colored woods from bleeding over into lighter colored woods, no one has a perfect solution. Here are some suggestions:

Would you believe (in proper Mexwell Smart voice), sharp tools and proper technique means you don't have to sand? I didn't think you'd believe it, either. However, keeping sanding to a bare minimum avoids bleeding. So, a good off-the-tool surface helps a lot.
Seal the wood before sanding. Applying a coat or two of sanding sealer (or thinned down lacquer) helps to seal the pores of the lighter colored woods, preventing the wood from being stained by the darker wood.
Sand from light to dark and not from dark to light. This isn't always possible -- and would have been all but impossible with your pen. When it is possible, this is good practice -- even if it requires (shudder) sanding with the lathe off.

Good luck!

Chris Hayes
05-10-2009, 9:26 AM
Mike --
Nice pen. Until I started turning pens I never turned Black-n-Whit Ebony. It definitely played with my sense of "round". The density is different between the white and black is what threw me. The second set of pens I made with this wood I discovered that when you start with a higher level of sand paper the 'bleed' was significantly less. When I've finished these pens a couple of coats of Behlen's made for a very nice finish.

I think Tim will be happy with that pen -- I hope you had fun making it (as frustrating as it sounded it might have been).

Chris Hayes
05-10-2009, 9:28 AM
Dave --

I'm hoping that I can get your pen made today. I think I know what I'm doing for you and I'm looking forward to the challenge...The wood looks cool in the big blank and I'm looking forward to cutting in and getting the pieces out for pens.

Mike Minto
05-10-2009, 6:37 PM
Thanks for the ideas, guys - I will try the sealing before sanding - don't know if I can get a better finish off the tool, though, but will try that, too. Sanding is no fun. Yes, I enjoyed making the pen - made two more today, for step-daughter and boyfriend. It's nice to have a projet of some kind one can start and finish in a half hour or so. Having a second lathe is great - I can go to the larger one, work on a bowl or hollow form for a while, then go to the mini while CA dries in the cracks on my larger work! Mike

Grant Davis
05-11-2009, 9:44 PM
I just love coming home and seeing boxes sitting next to the door that are too big to fit in the mail box. The thing is, I couldn't remember ordering anything that would require this type of delivery box. My puzzlement soon turned to excitement when I looked at the return address and realized it came from Montana where my pen exchange partner, John Graham is from. I thought to myself, this box is a little big for a single pen and couldn't get my knife out of my pocket fast enough to see what John had sent me.

Below is a picture of the contents of the box. John sent me 2 cigar pens in Black Titanium, one is turned from Bethlehem Olive Wood and the other is Dark Lace Sheoak. In addition to two beautiful pens, John sent a very nice hand written note, 2 blanks of Mountain Ash and a chunk of apple that he harvested from his property in Libby, Montana.

Many thanks to John for his contribution to me. This picture does not do these pens justice. They are beautiful pieces in person.

P.S.#1
This is a cell phone picture which is not the greatest so be nice. My daughter borrowed my digital and has yet to return it.

P.S. #2
John, I am having trouble with the motor on my lathe so I will get to your pen as soon as it is fixed.

David Walser
05-11-2009, 9:53 PM
Grant,

It looks like John really went above and beyond. You are both to be congratulated.

Billy Dodd
05-12-2009, 6:43 AM
Who do I have to pay for setting me up with Bruce Kauffman? Bruce told me some of the things he had on hand and felt me out for what I might like and came up with this Black Titanium Statesman in trustone turquoise. A magnificent pen in itself but he through in a trustone blank for me to try since I told him I've never turned it before and a money blank he made with a few other gorgeous pen blanks along with the stand to display this excellent pen on. I think he definately got the short end of this draw. Thank you so much Bruce this will be treasured.

Tom Henry
05-12-2009, 9:31 AM
NICE!!!...I want to try one of those money blanks...let me know how it turns out...

David Walser
05-12-2009, 12:28 PM
NICE!!!...I want to try one of those money blanks...let me know how it turns out...

Tom,

Two comments:

You aren't going to make out nearly as well as Grant and Billy did. Your trading partner, I know him well, is not nearly as generous as John Graham and Bruce Kauffman! Don't get your hopes up.
Are you sure you want your pen made out of wood? I've got a "money blank" that could have your name on it if you'd like. Of course, that'll mean I'll have to use the genuine-Douglas-fir-from-the-borg blank I made last night for someone else...

Tom Henry
05-12-2009, 12:59 PM
Tom,

Two comments:

You aren't going to make out nearly as well as Grant and Billy did. Your trading partner, I know him well, is not nearly as generous as John Graham and Bruce Kauffman! Don't get your hopes up.
Are you sure you want your pen made out of wood? I've got a "money blank" that could have your name on it if you'd like. Of course, that'll mean I'll have to use the genuine-Douglas-fir-from-the-borg blank I made last night for someone else...

NO 2X4 for me please...:D

David Walser
05-12-2009, 2:11 PM
NO 2X4 for me please...:D

You're sure? It really is a very fine piece of Douglas fir. Very few pitch pockets or similar defects. Personally, I think the knot adds "character". And, if the crack doesn't turn out entirely, I've got some good quality wood filler/putty that should do the trick.

Billy Dodd
05-12-2009, 3:07 PM
Hey Tom, I'm sure David would paint the 2X4 any color you wanted.

David Walser
05-12-2009, 5:13 PM
Hey Tom, I'm sure David would paint the 2X4 any color you wanted.

Paint!? I was thinking a nice honey oak or medium walnut stain. Paint would cover up the lovely grain of this fine, domestic, fir. But, if that's what Tom wants, I'll paint it any color he wants -- other than pink.

Tom Henry
05-12-2009, 5:31 PM
Paint!? I was thinking a nice honey oak or medium walnut stain. Paint would cover up the lovely grain of this fine, domestic, fir. But, if that's what Tom wants, I'll paint it any color he wants -- other than pink.

Your killing...:D

Tom Henry
05-15-2009, 10:32 PM
Any other pens exchanged yet...:confused:

Rasmus Petersen
05-16-2009, 2:23 AM
i working on it ... wont be long.. next week i hope...

Bobby McCarley
05-16-2009, 8:17 AM
Tom,
I put my pen for Mr Jackson in the mail Thursday. And I was in such a hurry to get it in the mail that I failed to take a picture of it. Hopefully, Mr Jackson will post a picture of it when he gets it.

I also want to thank you for making the effort to do this pen swap. I have done several of them and it always a lot of fun and a great way to see other peoples work.

Bobby
Louisiana

Mike Minto
05-16-2009, 8:24 PM
What a nice pen - shows what experience can produce. Tim sent me this very nice pen for the exchange. I've learned some 'trade etiquette' from him, I believe - like a short, handwritten note and a protective cover for the pen. Next time! Enjoy, Mike

David Walser
05-17-2009, 1:15 PM
Mike,

It looks like Tim done you good. Very nice pen, and it looks like it writes well, too!

Chris Hayes
05-18-2009, 11:37 AM
All --

Here's the pen that I've made for Dave. I really wish I could tell you what the wood is. I picked it up from the local WoodCraft store from a box where we paid by the pound--and with no labels on the wood. The 'form' was 14x2x2 roughly. Half the wood is that spalted color, the other is the mahogany colored -- and that's not a composite! It's all natural.

So turning getting to the Pen itself...I really wanted to make a Cigar pen. (I've cut about a third of this blank to be Cigar blanks) -- Little did I know that I might end up using most of them to become this pen.

This is not forgiving wood. The mahogany colored wood is far softer than the spalted. The transition line is as hard as ebony. Turning slow only allowed the wood to explode at the slightest touch (even with very sharp tools). This is bookmatched from the same slice I took off the blank, and cut on a bias. So part of the grain was with me the rest against.
The first attempt exploded three times and to the point I couldn't repair it.
The second attempt would have me having the kit being mis packed. (I'm new to Cigar pens...well to pens in general) So the lower tub and the upper tub were the same size which caused the cartridge to be constantly 'out'.
I was not about to let there be a 'third' failed atempt. So I took my time on this one. I made sure to lable just about everything -- lined the parts up -- drank an extra iced tea to calm the nerves..and started in. Unlike most of the pens I've learned to turn, I was able to us the fluted gouge for 98% of this turn. Little by little I edged this to its final shape (of course it didn't help my 5yr old was wanting to come up on the back side of the lathe and ask 90+ questions--which normally I think is great, but this was an AH!!! moment for me).
So after being ultra patient with getting this lined up, here's the result. Sanded upto 1500, a simple coat of Behlen's (well 2 or 3 light coats). I'm happy with the results. Now I want one for me! (I'm just hoping I don't have the same 'fun' on getting there)

Chris

Tom Henry
05-18-2009, 11:46 AM
Nice Pen!!! I like the color!!

Gary Herrmann
05-18-2009, 8:23 PM
I got paired with David Drickhamer. Now that he's received his pen, I can post a pic - I thought he should see it first.

Curly hard maple dyed blue with transtint. Platinum cigar hardware.

Graham Sugar
05-18-2009, 8:32 PM
Hi All
Just to let you know I have sent my pen partner Maria her pen but Knowing how the surface mail is between here and the USA it may take a week or so to reach her
Regards
Graham

Maria Alvarado
05-19-2009, 12:47 AM
Hi Graham,
Package has not yet arrived, but I'm happy to report that your pen is FINALLY done! Every gremlin in my shop has been out to get me on this one (and they threw the first one clear across the room at a very high rate of speed. Not a pretty outcome). Anyway, second time is the charm, and it will be in the mail to you this week.

David Walser
05-19-2009, 12:44 PM
...The pen is made from stabilized and dyed box elder burl. ...

I just noticed an error in my description of the pen I received from Tom. It's made from buckeye burl, not box elder burl. I apologize for my error.

Alton Folsom
05-19-2009, 10:49 PM
Joe,
Your pen is in the mail. It is a -------- with -------- for material. Sorry, you will have to wait. :D

Alton

Mike Minto
05-21-2009, 11:16 AM
Tim, got your name wrong - the VERY nice pen I received in the exchange is from Tim CLEVELAND - big oops, on my part! Mike :eek:

Tim Cleveland
05-21-2009, 11:21 AM
Mike, I really like the pen. Sorry about taking this long to get back to you, I got it a couple of days ago, but have been very busy and didn't have a chance to post until now. I also really liked the softer polish on the hardware, where did you get it from? Thanks again

Tim

Douglas Feehan
05-21-2009, 9:16 PM
Recieved My pen today from Paul Fitzgerald Gold TN Jr. Gent Dressed in Kingwood and Finished with Enduro and Ren. Wax paul had PM me a week ago to let me know how he was coming along with this pen and had said he was having trouble with the finish well i dont know what he did this past week but his finish problems a over the the fit and finish on this pen are top notch Thanks Paul I truly love it

Douglas

Paul Fitzgerald
05-22-2009, 10:34 AM
Recieved My pen today from Paul Fitzgerald Gold TN Jr. Gent Dressed in Kingwood and Finished with Enduro and Ren. Wax paul had PM me a week ago to let me know how he was coming along with this pen and had said he was having trouble with the finish well i dont know what he did this past week but his finish problems a over the the fit and finish on this pen are top notch Thanks Paul I truly love it

Douglas

Thanks Doug! I'm glad you like it.

I just realized the post I created with the picture of your pen isn't in this thread... I must have hit "Preview Post" and forgot to hit "Submit Reply".

Oops. :o I'll get that done when I get home tonight.

Paul

Robert Snowden
05-22-2009, 6:26 PM
Has any one heard from Belton? Sent his pen out frist of the week just wondering?

Paul Fitzgerald
05-22-2009, 8:29 PM
Here's the pen Douglas Feehan sent me.

It's a Sierra Vista Gold TN kit crafted with Brown Ebony, Brass, and Dyed White Veneer (Maple) and finished with six coats of lacquer.

Stunning ain't it? :D

Tom Henry
05-22-2009, 10:17 PM
Here's the pen Douglas Feehan sent me.

It's a Sierra Vista Gold TN kit crafted with Brown Ebony, Brass, and Dyed White Veneer (Maple) and finished with six coats of lacquer.

Stunning ain't it? :D

WOW!!!! :eek:

David Drickhamer
05-22-2009, 10:18 PM
The pens I receiver from Chris Hayes and Gary Herrmann are top notch. Thank you. You guys both made beautiful pens. I can only hope you like the ones I made for you half as much as I like mine. I'll also post pics as soon as I know you got them.
Dave

Joe Melton
05-22-2009, 10:20 PM
Today I received my pen from Alton Folsom, and it is drop-dead beautiful. It is a Baron, I think, and appears to have platinum fittings. I'm guessing it is a dyed maple, but am not sure. Anyway, it far surpasses the ordinary writing implement I sent him, to be sure. I'll try to get a photo up, but my cameras do not take closeups well enough to do this pen justice.
I'm not participating in any more of these exchanges. If I want to feel inadequate, I'll take my wife dancing.
Joe

Tom Henry
05-22-2009, 10:24 PM
Today I received my pen from Alton Folsom, and it is drop-dead beautiful. It is a Baron, I think, and appears to have platinum fittings. I'm guessing it is a dyed maple, but am not sure. Anyway, it far surpasses the ordinary writing implement I sent him, to be sure. I'll try to get a photo up, but my cameras do not take closeups well enough to do this pen justice.
I'm not participating in any more of these exchanges. If I want to feel inadequate, I'll take my wife dancing.
Joe

Come on...you know you love it...nothing like getting another handmade pen from a fellow Creeker...

Maria Alvarado
05-23-2009, 3:20 PM
My pen arrived from Graham Sugar and boy am I a happy gal! It is a lovely fountain pen, Baron Black Ti kit wrapped in conkerberry from australia. I'm posting the one good pic I managed to take before my camera batteries crapped out, but the color of this wood is really wonderful in person. Varying shades from yellow to tangerine with some browns and greens in there too. Graham also turned me a matching key ring which I will also post once I get fresh batteries. In addition to the lovely pen, he parted with a conkerberry blank to try for myself, and some other lovely native blanks: False sandalwood, coolibah burl, eucalyptus burl and mulga (new one to me, evidently a "weapon wood" for the aboriginals). So a huge THANK YOU! to Graham and to Tom for matching me up with him :)

Oh yes, here is the pen!!
More pix later.

Alton Folsom
05-23-2009, 5:10 PM
I got an Antler and Cartridge pen from Joe Melton. Good job Joe. This is my second pen swap and I was nervous, because what do you make for someone you don't know? Double click the photos for a closeup.
Here is the pen I got from Joe
http://www.postimage.org/PqwU5f9.jpg (http://www.postimage.org/image.php?v=PqwU5f9)

The pen I send Joe is a Sterling Silver Baron in Big Leaf Maple dyed by me
http://www.postimage.org/PqwVh4r.jpg (http://www.postimage.org/image.php?v=PqwVh4r)

Maria Alvarado
05-25-2009, 11:30 AM
Got new camera batteries, so here are the remaining items from my exchange partner.
In addition to the lovely fountain pen, Graham turned a keyring, also from conkerberry (2 views, wood has so much going on)

and he also included some native blanks. From top to bottom- False sandalwood, Coolibah burl, pale eucalyptus burl, mulga, conkerberry.

Thanks again, Graham

Jonathan Harvey
05-25-2009, 6:32 PM
I've been behind on my work but my pen is completed for my partner and will be shipped out tomorrow. I hope I'm not holding everyone up.

David Drickhamer
05-27-2009, 8:24 PM
The pens I receiver from Chris Hayes and Gary Herrmann are top notch. Thank you. You guys both made beautiful pens. I can only hope you like the ones I made for you half as much as I like mine. I'll also post pics as soon as I know you got them.
Dave

I got teamed up with Chris Hayes and Gary Herrmann in the exchange. Both of these gentlemen made fantastic pens as can be seen in earlier posts. Here are pictures of the pens I made for them. The one for Gary in Clairo Walnut and the one for Chris is Spalted Mango.

Thanks to Tom for running the exchange.

Dave

Gary Herrmann
05-28-2009, 9:07 AM
I was going to post pics, but we're having camera trouble. Dave very generously included a couple of pen blanks and the very nice box you see in the pic. The fit and finish of the pen is great. Thanks again, Dave.

Belton Garvin
05-31-2009, 10:35 PM
I received 2 of my trades over the last week or so but have been extremely slow about posting them. (Sorry guys, my fault) I finally caught back up and had a chance to get pics.

The first one is a Navigator from Ronald Fox and has a celtic knot on both the top and bottom. He also included 6 blanks: Spalted Holly, Kingwood, East Indian Rosewood, Zebrawood, Bocote, and an already segmented Kingwood with Maple and Purpleheart stripe.

The second one is also a Navigator from Robert Snowden and I believe it to be an alligator jawbone with alligator skin. (I'm just guessing because he hasn't told me yet)

Both pens have beautiful construction and finish. I'll have trouble figuring out which one to carry with me and when to bring them out.

I finished all 3 of my pens on Friday and sent them out Saturday via USPS priority mail. All should have them no later than Wednesday this week. I hope they measure up.

Graham Sugar
06-01-2009, 5:32 AM
:):):)Hi all
Boy have I got a smile on my face
Arrived home tonight to find a parcel from my pen swap partner Maria Alverado Not only did I recive a beautiful Gold Baron With a REDWOOD LACE BURL cover but a great selection of American blanks that we can never get in Australia
Honduran rosewood,cocobolo,curly redwood.olivewood,desert ironwood,honey mesquite,spanish oak,escarpment black cherry,
splated maple,black wallnut.spalted pecan
Maria I cant thank you enugh for the beautiful pen and the fab. blanks
Thanks Tom for pairing me with such a generous partner
Graham Sugar

David Walser
06-01-2009, 9:55 AM
Graham,

Maria did well by you. Congratulations to both of you. To you for receiving such a gift and to Maria for her generous heart.

Steve Campbell
06-01-2009, 9:10 PM
I went to the post office on Sat and found a big package from Bill Clark. Inside were two of the nicest pens you ever saw. The photos don't do them justice. Then to sweeten the deal he included seveal chunks of wood for more pen blanks. He also sent some solid surface counter top blanks. I don't know if you can tell in the picture, but that is one nice chunk of birdseye Maple on the bottom.
Thanks again Bill. I sure came out good on this one.

Steve

michael gallagher
06-01-2009, 11:12 PM
I received this in the mail today from Mike Marmon - a Sierra pen kit made from curly bubinga. This is a really nice pen, with a good feel and rich tones to the wood - he really did a great job on it.

Also included in the package, but not pictured, he threw in a curly bubinga, lacewood, and mahogany pen blanks. Very nice!

Thanks to all for making this a good pen exchange, I've enjoyed it!

Robert Snowden
06-02-2009, 7:39 PM
Why are the new post not showing up?

Bill Noce
06-02-2009, 10:31 PM
Mike Gallagher package in the mail.........thanks..awesome Fountain Pen

Bill

michael gallagher
06-03-2009, 12:54 AM
Here's a picture of the TruStone fountain pen I sent

David Walser
06-03-2009, 1:03 AM
Michael,

You did right by Bill. Good for both of you.

Billy Tallant
06-03-2009, 1:43 AM
I want to send a sincere "Thank You" to Mack Cameron for being his partner in the pen swap. My wife had picked up the mail & called me that I had received a package in the mail. I was expecting to find a small envelope with a pen inside. To my surprise I found a heavy box sitting on my kitchen table. I could not believe my good fortune.

Mack had went above and beyond in this pen swap. To start off with the pen is outstanding. It is a Perfect Fit B.P. Pen. The blank is a dyed Black Ash Burl (Peacock blue). The pen plating is Ti gold. To my surprise my name was even engraved on the pen. This is one pen that I will cherish forever.

But that was just for starters. I dug under the peanut bubbles & there was 15 blanks calling my name to go start turning them. Had to restrain my excitement & hold off on heading straight to the shop. To name just a few, Manitoba Maple, Black Cherry, Wormy Chestnut, Curly Cherry, Jatoba, X-cut Walnut, & Canary Wood...

This called for a phone call...I did not think I could tell Mack how appreciative I was through email or on this forum. I needed to call him & thank him for this generous gesture. So once again "Thank You" Mack for such a wonderful gift...

Cindy Navarro
06-06-2009, 10:48 AM
Finished pen sent to Jonathan on Monday. Don't know how USPS will take to get it to Canada. Hope it is not long. All of the pens looks great. I really like pen exchanges.

Mark P. Brown
06-06-2009, 3:37 PM
Recieved my pen from Horst Hohoff today. Great looking Cocobolo with a hand rubbed wax finish. I also recieved a Chechem round blank.
Thank You Horst Hohoff.
Mark

Mack Cameron
06-08-2009, 7:06 PM
Arrived in Canada today at around 10:30 am weighing in at just under 100 grams at approx. 130 mm in length, this Elegant Beauty Sierra!

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=120167&stc=1&d=1244501919

Billy will have to confirm; My guess it's been turned from a stabilized, dyed Buckeye Burl with Chrome, Satin Chrome plating.

The Sierra's are my favourite kits for their elegance and simplicity of design. Billy has done himself proud for his first pen swap. It's been my pleasure to have him for a pen swap partner!

Thanks Billy and all the best in your future swaps!

Billy Tallant
06-09-2009, 2:19 AM
Mack,

Glad your pen has arrived...

The wood is a stabilized Blue Box-Elder Burl. At least that is the name they go by at Rocklers. It was a pleasure having you as a partner in the swap also.

Billy

Mike Marmon
06-09-2009, 1:21 PM
Howdy All;

This is the pen that I received in the swap. I was paired with Michael Gallagher. It is a Mesquite blank stabalized with purple epoxy and a gold Sierra kit. Mesquite is one of my favorite woods and I really like the Sierra kit. Michael did a great job. This is the first swap that I have been involved in and really enjoyed it.

Mike

Ronald Fox
06-10-2009, 9:47 PM
I received my trade from Belton Garvin. He sent me a Navagator with Amboyna Burl.

He also sent me some blanks to play with. Here is a list:
Pecan
Black Palm
Macassar Ebony
Amboyna
Fig Narra
Buckeye Burl
Mesquite

Of those , the only species I have turned is Macassar Ebony. I am looking forward to turning all of these new ones.

I am very happy with the trade. Too bad I got the better part of the deal ;)
Ron

http://www.foxinnovations.net/pens/images/IM000758.JPG

Tom Henry
06-10-2009, 9:48 PM
So I finally taken pictures of the Pens that David sent me and to that I made...

I hope David will chime in and explain what wood we used and the pen kits. He also made one pen with a money blank and was kind enough to send me a pen blank that I turned into a Big Ben. The other is a 50 cal kit that I picked up from PSI. The blank is a Burl that I received from the blank exchange on the pen forum. Hope the pictures do the pens justice...they are all beautiful.

Thanks a ton David!!!!

Tom

David Walser
06-11-2009, 9:33 AM
Counting from the left, I made the 2nd and 4th pictures in Tom's pictures. The 2nd pen is an Elegant Beauty (gold and black Ti plating) clad in thuya burl. The 4th pen is also an Elegant Beauty (platinum and black Ti plating) clad in a money blank. It looks like the 1st pen is clad in the money blank I included as part of the swap.

For a slightly better picture of a money pen like the one I sent to Tom (it's not the same pen; it was made the same day as Tom's) and for links to the blanks and kits, go here: http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=112761

Thanks, Tom, for setting everything up!

Update: Tom sent me a PM asking where I got the thuya burl blanks. I got them from WoodTurningz. Here's a link (scroll down): http://www.woodturningz.com/Wood_Pen_Blanks.aspx

Robert Snowden
06-12-2009, 9:23 AM
I received my beautiful pen from Bear and I love it. It is an awesome amboya burl, chrome, I believe, Navigator/Baron rollerball. Great fit and very shiny. It is truly gorgous!

Brian Effinger
06-13-2009, 12:24 PM
Here is the pen from Michael Gallagher. :) An absolutely beautiful Aboyna Burl Sierra. I keep it right on my desk.

I'm sorry it took 2 weeks to get it posted. The past few weeks have been very hectic.

Horst Hohoff
06-14-2009, 12:30 PM
Here is what I recieved from my "penpals". Three well crafted pens.
Thank you very much to Brian, John and Mark.

Jonathan Harvey
06-17-2009, 2:49 PM
I received a beautiful pen from Cindy today. It was a copper sierra and the wood was Marrgo sp?. Regardless it is a wonderful looking pen and I am very happy that I joined this pen exchange.

Thanks Cindy

Joanthan

Mack Cameron
06-17-2009, 3:38 PM
I received a beautiful pen from Cindy today. It was a copper sierra and the wood was Marrgo sp?. Regardless it is a wonderful looking pen and I am very happy that I joined this pen exchange.

Thanks Cindy

JoanthanHi Joanthan (sic); I have always been under the impression on forums such as this one and others, that if there is no picture with the post, then it probably never really happened the way the poster is describing it!:):D

Jonathan Harvey
06-17-2009, 4:55 PM
Hi Joanthan (sic); I have always been under the impression on forums such as this one and others, that if there is no picture with the post, then it probably never really happened the way the poster is describing it!:):D

Let me see what I can do about that ;)

Tom Henry
06-19-2009, 2:39 PM
Did everyone get the exchange done...is there anyone still without a pen????

Bobby McCarley
06-19-2009, 5:13 PM
This is my pen from Mr. Jackson. He claims that this is only his second pen but I find that hard to believe. He did an excelent job on the pen and the finish is also excelent. He wasn't sure of the wood but it looks like curley maple. Thank you Mr. Jackson for a a fine pen and keep up the good work. If they are this good just starting out, they can only get better.
Sorry its taken so long to post a picture.

Bobby
Louisiana

Cindy Navarro
06-19-2009, 11:51 PM
Jonathan, your pen arrived today. It is very nice. Thank you.
Jonathan sent me a Coffee bean . the blank has a pick hue to it. I will post a picture tomorrow. Had oral surgery today and not good for much, especially picture taking.
Cindy

Tom Henry
06-23-2009, 1:45 PM
Bill-

Did you get to send all your pens out yet? I was getting an inquiry from a participant.

Thanks
Tom

Billy Dodd
06-23-2009, 11:31 PM
Yes, They should have them by now. If not I need to know so I can get with the Post Office. It's Been a couple weeks.

Tom Henry
06-24-2009, 9:17 AM
I sent you an email.

David Hullum
06-24-2009, 11:21 PM
Belton (Bear's) pen that I got was gorgeous. Amboyna burl. He also sent me a black palm and a Brazilian tigerwood blank (I have not turned either species.) I will try to post a picture but it will not do it justice. I also have hurt my hand so I am typing this one handed.

I will try to get a photo up soon.

John Jackson
06-30-2009, 4:45 PM
Here is a photo of the pen that Bobby McCarley sent me - sorry for the delay in getting the photo posted. The material is deer antler and the matt / silver finish on the pen compliments it very nicely!

I am also posting a photo of the pen I sent to Bobby. The wood is flamed maple.

Tom,
I put my pen for Mr Jackson in the mail Thursday. And I was in such a hurry to get it in the mail that I failed to take a picture of it. Hopefully, Mr Jackson will post a picture of it when he gets it.

I also want to thank you for making the effort to do this pen swap. I have done several of them and it always a lot of fun and a great way to see other peoples work.

Bobby
Louisiana

Jonathan Harvey
06-30-2009, 5:17 PM
Sorry for being tardy. Here is the picture of the pen I received from Cindy. Thanks again.

Tom Wilson66
07-01-2009, 10:48 PM
Got this great looking click sierra pen from Bill O'Conner today. The pen is made with walnut burl, not sure what the finish is, but sure is shiney. The photo does not do this finish justice. Been waiting a while for it, but it was worth the wait.

Mark Hix
08-10-2009, 9:52 PM
I made out better than Billy Dodd did on the pen exchange. He not only sent a beautiful pen but filled the box with blanks. There were a couple of walnuts from a Tullahouma battle field tree that I will have to do something special with along with some Jack Daniels barrells. Thanks again for the pen Billy.