PDA

View Full Version : Best 4.5" Angle Grinder

Michael Cody
08-07-2004, 6:34 PM
Burned up 2 cheap (9.97$ HF & 1$ 'garage sale') red Chinese special angle grinders this summer .. yeah I know, what do I expect from cheap tools.

Well anyway I am in the market for a new -- top line 4.5" angle grinder. I researched amazon -- looks like best reviews go to:

Bosch 1710A (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B00005RHPK/qid=1091917438/sr=1-4/ref=sr_1_4/102-9216320-3252950?v=glance&s=home-garden) @ 79.99$
DW402 (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B0000224IW/qid=1091917438/sr=1-3/ref=sr_1_3/102-9216320-3252950?v=glance&s=home-garden) @ 79.99$
Metabo W7-115 (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B00004YBWK/qid=1091917520/sr=1-18/ref=sr_1_18/102-9216320-3252950?v=glance&s=home-garden) @124.99$

The Metabo has some quick change thing that really makes me think it might be worth the 40$ more.. not to mention it has qty 4 - 5 Star reviews... but the others look good too based on reviews and have paddle switches which I like to ..

Any other suggestions, magazine articles I should research etc... any owners testimonials... I never used the grinders much but this summer rebuilding my son's truck, doing engine clean up & body work, it's been a real eye opener how handy these suckers are -- even a cheap smokin' one. Now I got to have a good one... any help would be appreciated.

Dave Bartley
08-07-2004, 6:40 PM
The Bosch 1710A wins hands down. Since that model came out I have sold close to 200 hundred of them with no complaints.

The safety switch takes a little to get used to, it is operated by the little finger. Other than that......great tool!!

I am not affiliated with Bosch tools.

Jim Becker
08-07-2004, 7:40 PM
I bought the Dewalt as a refurb from Tool King about a year a go and couldn't be happier...something like $59 if I recall properly.

Donald Hofmann
08-07-2004, 9:15 PM
I have two of the DeWalts. The first one is 12 years old and still going strong (had to replace the power cord twice).
The second one is about a year old. It had a safety on the trigger that you have to press to turn it on. This is suppose to keep idiots from laying it down on the bench with the trigger down and it coming on. I got rid of that feature in about 2 seconds with a pair of pliers :rolleyes:

I have a wire brush on one and a grinding wheel on the other. I use to use one of those B&D 7" Wildcat grinders, but since I got the DeWalts I very seldom use it.It's too heavy.........:(

BTW, DeWalt also makes a angle grinder for about $50.00 but the whole thing is plastic. It probably wouldn't last in my shop.........

Jim Ketron
08-07-2004, 9:35 PM
I have the DW its 5-6 yrs old no problems. I use it often!

Jim

John Shuk
08-07-2004, 10:24 PM
I have a Dewalt and it is about 6 yrs old. Good tool. I abuse it quite often and it keeps going.

Bob Marino
08-07-2004, 10:39 PM
Mike,

I have the Metabo and though I haven't really put it through its paces, I think it is one of the top guns, if not the best out there. Is it worth all the extra $$$, don't know. Heard great things about Bosch also.

Bob

Jim O'Dell
08-08-2004, 2:06 PM
I also had a cheapy angle grinder catch fire...while in my hand...on top of a 6" ladder!! Anyway, I replaced it with the Ridgid last Christmas at their 20% off sale, plus and an additional 10% off coupon. It is reported to be a clone of the Metabo, possibly built by Metabo. The front gear set design looks exactly the same. I'm sure the motor and housing are slightly different. But I have used this thing hard sanding paint off the house we just moved out of. Worked like a champ and still raring to go.
I think I'd go the Metabo given regular prices are about the same, and no lifetime warranty on Ridgid any more. Jim.

Steven Wilson
08-08-2004, 2:24 PM
My local welding supply places only carry the Metabo. I figure the welding guy's must know a thing or two about angle grinders so I bought a Metabo - great tool, easy to adjust the guard, and the quick change is real quick. I use it for grinding a bit but I mainly use it with the 3M surlock disks for removing paint or for removing rust on tools. The finer 3M pads are very gentle on cast iron surfaces yet quickly remove surface rust. You can really get a shine on your cast iron if you want.

Charles McKinley
08-09-2004, 10:18 PM
Hi Micahel,

Go to the store and pick the one that you like in your hand the best. The switch style you like the best. Don't throw things but the craftsman hold up well also. The biggest thing to look for is the amp rating. I know that Makita has at least 2 different grades. The low amps model can be smoked as quick as a cheapie. The other thing to pay close attention to is the arbor size. There is the SAE 5/8 and a 10mm There is 2 different thread pitches on the 10 mm. This can make buying atachments like wire wheels a real PITA. The tank company that I do some work for has a couple metabos and they have held up well.

Milwaukee also make a good grinder right around $100.

I hope this helps.

Pete Rosenbohm
08-10-2004, 1:52 AM
Have the Dewalt and have not had any problems as of yet.

John Weber
08-10-2004, 9:36 AM
Michael,

I have a Milwaukee 4-1/2" grinder and really like it, it gets occasional hard use, but I don't use it all the time (although when you need it you need it). I had purchased a DeWalt and didn't like the feel. The Milwaukee felt better, and I think it is a better machine. They have several different models, I believe I have the Magnum 8.5 amp model.

John

http://www.milwaukeeconnect.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/met/html/images/mediumprod/6148-6.jpg

Mike Wilkins
08-10-2004, 11:15 AM
Don't throw anything at me either, but I also have a Craftsman grinder that
has held up well for 6 yrs. Used for cutting, grinding, wire brushing rust and
paint, sharpening mower blades/garden tools. I also got one of the el-cheapo
imports just for a backup.

Food for thought: 60 Minutes this past Sunday had a segment on the rise of
counterfeit goods flowing into this country; everything from golf clubs to
athletic shoes. Then 2 hours later I was reading the latest issue of This Old
House magazine and came across an article on counterfeit tools, and
showed a Makita drill beside a fake-big difference. Read this if you can.

If I were in the market for another, the following would be in the running:
Milwaukee, Bosch, Metabo.

Good luck and watch those fingers.

Bill Ryall
08-10-2004, 1:08 PM
Another vote for the DeWalt. I have had mine for 3-4 years of fairly hard use, including being dropped off a TV tower (don't ask) from about 125' (into snow) and it keeps coming back for more.

Bill R, somewhere in Maine