PDA

View Full Version : Anyone have the "Woodstock" mortiser from Grizzly?

Dan Mitchell
05-06-2009, 2:01 AM
Been looking at mortisers, this one at Grizzly seems to really offer a lot for the $$$. I’m wondering if anyone has any experience with it: T20836 Heavy Duty Mortising Machine with Stand (http://www.grizzly.com/products/Heavy-Duty-Mortising-Machine-with-Stand/T20836)

TIA

Dan

Bryan Cowing
05-06-2009, 5:58 AM
I have the Craftex version, sold by Busy Bee in Canada. I had a bench top General, sold it to get the Craftex floor model. I use the 5/8" dia. chisels , the set that came with the General by using a brass 5/8" I.D. to 3/4" O.D. bushing I made up to fit the 3/4" dia. hole of the Craftex. All that's needed is to drill a side hole in the bushing to allow the set screw tighten against the chisel. Buy really good chisels! The 1" that came with the mortiser was garbage. I love the sliding table, makes mortising so easy!

John Thompson
05-06-2009, 10:59 AM
Looks idenical to the Steelex which is owned by Woodstock Internation which is owned by Shiraz who is the Grizzly owner. It's the same mortiser as the now defunct York-craft that Curt Wike imported and sold when Wilke Machinery existed.

Several have bought and reveiwed Steelex recently so I suggest you Google that to get their thoughs which have been generally good. Not a perfect machine but the price should reflect that. And after saying that a large step up from a bench-top in the X-Y talbe alone.

I have a very large Industrail mortiser so I really can't make a comparison to mine. But before I stumbled onto that deal I had seriously considered the York-craft which is the basic same machine. I feel it it worth the market price if you do a lot of mortises.

I just noticed.. it has Steelex on the front label.. ha.. ha...

Sarge..

Jerome Hanby
05-06-2009, 1:08 PM
Wow! That looks like quite a machine for the price. Wonder if there is anyway to get free shipping...