PDA

View Full Version : Lowe's Clearance Delta Items

Michael Cody
08-07-2004, 6:00 PM
Lowe's is clearancing a bunch of delta stuff..

13" Planer 22-580 229$
12" Mitre Saw 36-255 229$ (Twin Laser one)
16" Drill Press (floor) 229$ (I think maybe less)
12" Bandsaw 219$
Delta Midi Lathe 169$
Delta bench shaper 129$ (very few available)

Plus other stuff too..... quite a deal. Don't know about other Lowe's but my Lowe's in Kalamazoo had Wilton 5,6,& 8" machinist vises on the cleance table for 30-40$ .. I got an 8" for 40$ same price as the 6" but unmarked so dept mgr gave it to me for 6" price. They also had one Wilton tilt-face wood type vice for 30$ but I am not sure that is part of clearance or not.

The Mitre Saw is the the twin laser 12" .. which I just bought 2 months ago from Amazon for 274$ (299 w/25$ discount) ... I am not to happy--I should of waited, but such is life, it came in handy last week. Check Lowe's out if you are in need...

James Carmichael
08-07-2004, 6:27 PM
Lowe's is clearancing a bunch of delta stuff..

13" Planer 22-580 229$
12" Mitre Saw 36-255 229$ (Twin Laser one)
16" Drill Press (floor) 229$ (I think maybe less)
12" Bandsaw 219$
Delta Midi Lathe 169$
Delta bench shaper 129$ (very few available)

Plus other stuff too..... quite a deal. Don't know about other Lowe's but my Lowe's in Kalamazoo had Wilton 5,6,& 8" machinist vises on the cleance table for 30-40$ .. I got an 8" for 40$ same price as the 6" but unmarked so dept mgr gave it to me for 6" price. They also had one Wilton tilt-face wood type vice for 30$ but I am not sure that is part of clearance or not.

The Mitre Saw is the the twin laser 12" .. which I just bought 2 months ago from Amazon for 274$ (299 w/25$ discount) ... I am not to happy--I should of waited, but such is life, it came in handy last week. Check Lowe's out if you are in need...

Yep, bought the planer myself, don't need it since I've got a Ridgid already, but that was irresistable. Woulda bought the twinlaser, too, except I had just bought a Makita LS1221 CMS that they're closing out for $209. Also the TS350 is down from $397 to $259.

Wes Bischel
08-07-2004, 10:58 PM
Mike,

Thanks for posting!! I read your post and got all excited - ran right over and bought the planer - now, only the display is left. Blew my tool budget, but at that price I can't afford to pass it up! I'll have to lay low until Christmas (OK, really until next year some time), but I've been on the lookout for planer for a while now.

Thanks again - seriously, I appreciate you taking the time to let us know about the close-out.

Wes - about to go play with my new toy!

Dennis Peacock
08-08-2004, 1:08 AM
Mike,

Do you like the Twin Laser CMS?

I have been looking at laser SMCS's but I haven't decided yet. I may just get my dad's old Craftsman RAS sometime soon since he hasn't even used it at all in the last 6 or 8 years. Oh well...decisions, decisions.... :rolleyes:

Greg Heppeard
08-08-2004, 9:50 AM
Dennis,

I own the Delta's twin...the PC does a great job and is dead on accurate.

Jim Becker
08-08-2004, 10:42 AM
I own the Delta's twin...the PC does a great job and is dead on accurate.
Yea, if I hadn't already "exceeded my quota" this month, I'd run right down to Lowes to try and scarf one of the twin laser miter saws...should be a drop-in replacement for my current Delta 12" CMS from what I can tell. I've been wanting one of those since I first saw both the PC and Delta at IWF two years go.

Michael Cody
08-08-2004, 11:32 AM
Mike,

Do you like the Twin Laser CMS?

I have been looking at laser SMCS's but I haven't decided yet. I may just get my dad's old Craftsman RAS sometime soon since he hasn't even used it at all in the last 6 or 8 years. Oh well...decisions, decisions.... :rolleyes:

Dennis for 3-4 times I've used it so far, yeah it's pretty cool. I sold my 8.5" Hitachi Slider because I needed the room and I mostly only use the CMS for trim & woodworking stuff so I didn't need the extra slider capacity. The sucker was dead on out of the box .. lasers are slick makes it a lot easier to line up the cut.. Have to admit it's sorta nice and helps my old eyes out finding the line. First few cuts I still sneaked up on the mark but I've gotten confidence now and the last project (trimming out my utility room remodel that been going on for about 1.5 years, or 15 if you ask my wife, but it's done now) ... I just cut on the illuminated line and it worked slick as could be. It's faster too on the cuts which with the speed I work is not a big deal but on a big job it would save a lot of time I suspect.

Jim O'Dell
08-08-2004, 2:13 PM
Hi guys....I'm about to die to go into town and pick up a 22-580 planer. But with the sale of Pentair, if these prices are a product of B&D getting rid of certain models that compete with the Dewalt planers, what do you guys think that future parts availability will be like? This is a great price that I really don't want to pass up, even though I'm not sure how much I will use it for a while. I know it is a good unit with a very good track record, and few problems....but you never know about the future. Anybody have any guesses/ideas on parts availability? Thanks! Jim.

Jim Becker
08-08-2004, 2:38 PM
I think it's premature to assume that B&D would drop products from the PC and/or Delta line that compete with Dewalt. Why shed things from brands that have been aquired (as the Dewalt name was, too), especially when no matter which color the end consumer buys, B&D gets the money! More likely, Lowes is doing the same as that other big box and shedding name brands that they no longer wish to carry that compete with their house brand.

BTW, Pentair was not sold. Pentair sold their tool division to B&D, which includes the Delta, PC and Devibliss brands. Pentair continues in their core business which is not tool oriented--they just shed a non-core business which is a popular thing these days for big enterprises to do.

Wes Bischel
08-08-2004, 4:21 PM
Jim O.

I talked to the guy at Lowes (at 9:45 last night he didn't have much to do) about the close-out. He said (and I know this to be true from my previous employer) if there isn't enough "churn" (number sold) on an item, they close it out and move something else onto the shelf.
The accounting types have it figured that each product (SKU) needs to sell so many pieces per month to meet their profit expectations. If it doesn't, then it is not meeting the profit potential for that shelf space and must be moved for something that will.
The planer I bought had a thick layer of dust on the box (more like a blanket of dust bunnies) - so it had been sitting for some time. I suspect the 55-280 is misplaced in Lowes - the contractors go for the DeWalt (brand and portability are the drivers), and the hobbiests go for the 12" Delta (price driven). Just my take on it since the 55-280 was the only planer on close-out.

I'm not too worried about parts since the planer is well established in the market and has been a proven winner - besides, the price was right :D . I'm sure there will be some fall-out from the merger, but more than likely it will be a better definition of the different brands i.e. right now DeWalt = contractor grade and B&D = consumer grade.

FWIW,
Wes

Jim O'Dell
08-08-2004, 4:22 PM
All right, I did it. I went ahead and did it. 22-580 for 229.00 plus tax. On the way to the check out, the tool guy (young man-very, VERY helpful) was wheeling it on a dolly for me, and I said that I only wished my 10% coupon I applied for in May had come. He said "No problem. We'll take 10% off" WOW!! There was a guy in line behind me with a Delta saw, probably a miter saw from the box size, asked if the planer was on sale. We talked about the price, and the normal price and that there was one boxed one left, He took it! Interesting, this Lowes didn't have the sale prices posted like the other one I was in last night. I bet the he didnt know the saw was on sale also, but I bet it rang up at the sale price. Mine did.
My wife thinks I'm crazy, but life is good! Jim.

Mac McAtee
08-08-2004, 6:08 PM
Just got back from one of the local Lowes. Picked up the Midi Lathe. Now I have to start learning about making pens. Ken?

Andy Haney
08-08-2004, 9:02 PM
Thanks for the post Michael. I now have the planer in my trophy case, err, garage. :D

Jim O'Dell
08-08-2004, 10:16 PM
Thanks for the post Michael. I now have the planer in my trophy case, err, garage. :D
Trophy case I can understand, but out in the garage?...on it's first night in a new home? Mine is here in the computer room with me and the 2 PC routers I've bought this year and not used yet!!! OK, so I've moved and have too much to do to get everything set up in my new shop. Like finishing the LOML's studio. I still have a pass through to cut in the wall to her studio suite, bathroom to finish up, and a door to hang. Then, MAYBE, I can got to work on the shop. Enjoy the new addition. Jim.

JayStPeter
08-09-2004, 9:04 AM
Scored the twin-laser CMS on the way to work today. Hmmm, does this forum save me money or cost me money :confused: ?
Either way, the timing is good as I am currently building a miter saw station and didn't want to design it around my low end non-compound MS. Please let me know if anyone puts 12" Forrest Chopmaster on sale. :cool:

Jay

James Carmichael
08-09-2004, 10:04 AM
Just got back from one of the local Lowes. Picked up the Midi Lathe. Now I have to start learning about making pens. Ken?

Mac,

Did that come with any rebate forms? Amazon lists a Delta rebate on that lathe, either a base extension or a set of gouges. I'd love to get my hands on one, but looks like they don't carry them down here. :(

James Carmichael
08-09-2004, 10:09 AM
Trophy case I can understand, but out in the garage?...on it's first night in a new home? Mine is here in the computer room with me and the 2 PC routers I've bought this year and not used yet!!! OK, so I've moved and have too much to do to get everything set up in my new shop. Like finishing the LOML's studio. I still have a pass through to cut in the wall to her studio suite, bathroom to finish up, and a door to hang. Then, MAYBE, I can got to work on the shop. Enjoy the new addition. Jim.

Hey Jim,

What part of Cowtown you in? Benbrook, here, in fact, was on my way to Lowes yesterday when I happened on the truckload of illegal immigrants on I20. There were so many police, I thought a Crispy Creme truck had overturned.

Mac McAtee
08-09-2004, 10:38 AM
Mac,

Did that come with any rebate forms? Amazon lists a Delta rebate on that lathe, either a base extension or a set of gouges. I'd love to get my hands on one, but looks like they don't carry them down here. :(

No rebate forms, cost was $169.00 plus tax. Try going on line and ordering it there. I did that and marked it for local pick up, went to the store and picked it up. You find Lowes web site and then put zip codes in for different areas for a search. If you find one, say in Dallas, then you can have it shipped to you and pay the charges. I think the thing could ship via UPS.

James Carmichael
08-09-2004, 10:44 AM
No rebate forms, cost was $169.00 plus tax. Try going on line and ordering it there. I did that and marked it for local pick up, went to the store and picked it up. You find Lowes web site and then put zip codes in for different areas for a search. If you find one, say in Dallas, then you can have it shipped to you and pay the charges. I think the thing could ship via UPS.

Thanks, I might give that a try, though I've already blown my tool budget for a couple years to come. :rolleyes:

You might want to take a look at the lathe on Amazon, they've got the Delta rebate forms out there, looked like the bed extension takes it from 14 to 37".

Robert Cox
08-09-2004, 12:20 PM
I came "THIS CLOSE" to buying that Delta lathe the other day. Couldn't find one in a box!

Guy said more were due in 2 days.

Guess it's time for a trip down.

Paul Smith
08-09-2004, 1:29 PM
FYI - If you do buy the midi lathe, Delta is offering a free extension bed or set of turning tools. The coupon is on their web-site

http://www.deltamachinery.com/index.asp?e=95

Jim O'Dell
08-09-2004, 2:32 PM
Hey Jim,

What part of Cowtown you in? Benbrook, here, in fact, was on my way to Lowes yesterday when I happened on the truckload of illegal immigrants on I20. There were so many police, I thought a Crispy Creme truck had overturned.
Hi James. Just moved out of Benbrook a month ago! (Haven't sold the house yet) We found a place out west on I30 in the Linkcrest Estates that is back across Mary's Creek, lots of trees, and a building for my shop!!
I went past the immigrant thing after it was all over I guess. Went to the Lowes at Bryant Irvin, also. Need to get together some time! Jim.

Shawn Battagler
08-09-2004, 4:12 PM
I've been looking for a good deal on the mortiser for awhile now. I'd say $129 ain't too bad.

Any word on whether the $40 sharpening system is worth $19? I seem to recall bad things being said about it.

Mac McAtee
08-09-2004, 10:11 PM
You might want to take a look at the lathe on Amazon, they've got the Delta rebate forms out there, looked like the bed extension takes it from 14 to 37".[/QUOTE]

Thank you James. Didn't know about that! This makes it an offical gloat!
Mac

Mac McAtee
08-09-2004, 10:13 PM
FYI - If you do buy the midi lathe, Delta is offering a free extension bed or set of turning tools. The coupon is on their web-site

http://www.deltamachinery.com/index.asp?e=95

And Thank You Paul! Downloaded and will send off the coupon on the morrow.
Mac

Joseph N. Myers
08-09-2004, 10:15 PM
For those that are interested in the Delta's 13" 22-580 Planer, check out the current thread titled "Delta 12 1/2 in Planer" by Jerry Olexa (yes, the 12 1/2 should read 13). Both Jerry and I purchased the 22-580 which you can see by reading the thread along with some interesting comments on the 22-580.

Regards, Joe

Thomas Canfield
08-09-2004, 11:08 PM
The temptation got to me. I had to go to Lowes and check it out. Sure enough, they had one 16.5" drill press there in box with my name on it, and now it is in my shop. I just have to find some help now to finish the assembly. The 12" bench top model I have had for about 10 years plus just did not have the travel and depth needed for some of the later projects. Reading the posts is dangerous, but I was glad to pick up the additional savings.

Mac McAtee
08-10-2004, 3:40 PM
Tom,
Go to the Delta web site: www.deltamachinery.com

Click on "Promotions" at the top. Scroll down. If that is the drill press you bought then Delta will send you a mortice set up for it, no charge. Check it out!

Mac

Jim Ketron
08-10-2004, 3:54 PM
Tom,
Go to the Delta web site: www.deltamachinery.com (http://www.deltamachinery.com/)

Click on "Promotions" at the top. Scroll down. If that is the drill press you bought then Delta will send you a mortice set up for it, no charge. Check it out!

MacI picked up the !6 1/2 drill press it willstay in the box until the new shop is done!
Mac The one I got is the DP400 and the rebate is for a diff model:( (Oh well still a good deal)
Thanks Jim

James Carmichael
08-10-2004, 4:33 PM
Hi James. Just moved out of Benbrook a month ago! (Haven't sold the house yet) We found a place out west on I30 in the Linkcrest Estates that is back across Mary's Creek, lots of trees, and a building for my shop!!
I went past the immigrant thing after it was all over I guess. Went to the Lowes at Bryant Irvin, also. Need to get together some time! Jim.

Hey, great, glad to find another Creeker in my neck of the woods!

FWIW, for tool closeouts, I find the White Settlement and Lake Worth Lowes seem to have better selections, I don't think they get as much volume as the Bryant Irvin store, especially WS due to it's location up by NAS Fort Worth.

Joe Mioux
08-10-2004, 6:50 PM
That twin laser cms is really nice. I bought that earlier this year when Delta had the $50 rebate. The twin light makes aligning cuts a whole lot easier.

Thomas Canfield
08-10-2004, 10:02 PM
Thanks, but as Jim already replied, the rebate is for another model. I have a mortiser, but it might be handy to have one on the drill press at some time for extra width or larger material. Another thing to keep on the wish list of wanted, but not often needed tools.

I did find that I had to call a friend to help assembly the drive unit to the column. Even the Shopmaster is a heavy unit. The instructions call to either bolt the drill press to the floor or bolt a piece of 3/4" plywood 21" x 28" minimum to prevent tipping. I did but added some 2x4 blocking and frame under that. I might even go back and rework the base to raise the unit a little for easier work height. Always something else to be done.

Kelly C. Hanna
08-11-2004, 8:31 AM
Here's my Lowe's clearance story....I had bought one of those new Hitachi-Koki impact drivers. I was trying to drive 3/8" lag bolts in Cedar...no dice and the charger quit on the second battery...so back to the store.

Now I had a $176 gift card....read about the Makita 1-hp router deal ($99) so I headed up there yesterday to pick one up for the jobsite. I got the last one at my store for $69!!

I also picked up a new Dremel Advantage rotary tool kit with the plunge router base and flex cable. Had enough left over (since the had marked it $63.96, but the register said $51.50!) to get a circle cutter jog and a bag for the router!! I was amazed that the rotary tool now has a 1/4" chuck, so now I need to get a small router bit set to go with it.

James Carmichael
08-11-2004, 9:19 AM
Here's my Lowe's clearance story....I had bought one of those new Hitachi-Koki impact drivers. I was trying to drive 3/8" lag bolts in Cedar...no dice and the charger quit on the second battery...so back to the store.

Now I had a $176 gift card....read about the Makita 1-hp router deal ($99) so I headed up there yesterday to pick one up for the jobsite. I got the last one at my store for $69!!

I also picked up a new Dremel Advantage rotary tool kit with the plunge router base and flex cable. Had enough left over (since the had marked it $63.96, but the register said $51.50!) to get a circle cutter jog and a bag for the router!! I was amazed that the rotary tool now has a 1/4" chuck, so now I need to get a small router bit set to go with it.

Thanks for the feedback on the Hitachi impact driver, Kelly. I've enjoyed my little Dewalt so much I had been considering adding another. Now I'll be sure to steer clear of that one.

thomas prevost
08-11-2004, 8:37 PM
Got the 12' twin laser out of the box (display) today for $165! Asked if they were going to restock, why sell the displays. Answer- Stated Delta rep said they were going to upgrade these models later this year. Lowes had ordered tons of them under contract. parent co. was giving Lowes a discount to dump/reduce inventory. Seems like each store has a different story. But odd display models are going also.