PDA

View Full Version : My collapsible spray booth

dan sherman
05-06-2009, 1:28 AM
When I was teaching myself about finishing last year, I quickly learned that I needed a spray booth, because it was next to impossible to keep the shop(garage) dust free.

last week I finally got around to building it. Attached is a photo from outside the booth, additional information can be found on my blog here (http://www.dans-hobbies.com/2009/05/05/collapsible-spray-booth/).

http://www.dans-hobbies.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/05/outside-480x360.jpg

John Keeton
05-06-2009, 6:40 AM
Pretty slick Dan! Neat blog, too. I hope to own an Earlex this month, and this idea will come in handy.

Scott Phillips
05-06-2009, 9:05 AM
Dan,

nice spray booth. I noticed your Earlex in the photo. What kind of finishes have you sprayed and how is it working?

Thanks,
Scott

Peter Elliott
05-06-2009, 9:29 AM
I like it...

Being the fireman, had one question.

If your spraying solvent finishes, where do you exhaust to from the booth?
Do you open the garage door? If not, your creating a explosive atmosphere in the garage.

I can see opening the garage door when it's above 60 degrees.

What do you wear for a respirator? or mask?

Nice job on the design..

-Peter

Craig Coney
05-06-2009, 12:09 PM
That booth looks pretty sweet. How much space does it take up when it is collapsed?

dan sherman
05-06-2009, 7:37 PM
Dan,

nice spray booth. I noticed your Earlex in the photo. What kind of finishes have you sprayed and how is it working?

The Earlex, is my first spray system, and the only thing I have sprayed so far is some Valspar metal finishes. I don't think I'm knowledgeable enough yet to render a useful opinion on the Earlex. However the wood whisperer did a review of it you might want to take a look at.

I like it...

Being the fireman, had one question.

If your spraying solvent finishes, where do you exhaust to from the booth?
Do you open the garage door? If not, your creating a explosive atmosphere in the garage.

I can see opening the garage door when it's above 60 degrees.

What do you wear for a respirator? or mask?

Nice job on the design..

I crack the garage when using the booth, so as the exhaust exits the booth it also exits the garage.

I'm at work at the moment, but I'm pretty I have an earlier model of this respirator (it's been a few years since I purchased it).
http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=productDetail&productId=146659-98-R-7512ES&lpage=none

That booth looks pretty sweet. How much space does it take up when it is collapsed?
about 4'x8'x1'

Scott Shepherd
05-06-2009, 8:19 PM
Really nice job! I've toyed with the idea of making a spray booth a few times and I thought I'd pass some info along I read along the way. Be really careful with that fan. Apparently fan motors are electric (who knew?), and they say that these normal motors can actually ignite the fumes and cause an explosion. They make some special fans or motors for environments where fumes are present that are recommended.

I'm not saying you should change anything, I'm just passing on some info you might want to check into before you spray anything that's flammable.

Better to be safe than sorry.

Cliff Rohrabacher
05-07-2009, 4:59 PM
Oh Baby. I think I'm going to do something like that~!!
Thanks for posting.