PDA

View Full Version : New Laser user needs advice

Don Williams Michigan
05-05-2009, 9:41 PM
I have a 45 watt Epilog engraver. I am having difficulty vector cutting 1/8 inch baltic birch plywood. Using a 20/100/500 setting I am getting inconsistent results. One piece will vector cut through and the next will not? Is this normal? The Epilog recommended settings are 35/100/500 so I have already slowed it down.

Thank you in advance for your help.

Tim Bateson
05-05-2009, 10:05 PM
Yes, it can, depending on the wood. Some plywood uses glue that doesn't laser well. Try buying from another source.

Duane Parcells
05-05-2009, 10:08 PM
Hi Don

Welcome. The quality of the Baltic Birch is most of your problem. The quality has gone down hill the last few years. I have to use more power on some of the cheap stuff just to make it work. There are times when no matter what you do a piece won't cut. The problem gets worse the thicker you go. 1/8 should cut for you. Slow it down until it's consistent.

James Jaragosky
05-05-2009, 10:11 PM
I have a 45 watt Epilog engraver. I am having difficulty vector cutting 1/8 inch baltic birch plywood. Using a 20/100/500 setting I am getting inconsistent results. One piece will vector cut through and the next will not? Is this normal? The Epilog recommended settings are 35/100/500 so I have already slowed it down.

Thank you in advance for your help.

Cutting plywood can be a challenge due to the inconstancy of the ply's and the glue that holds them together.
You may have better results with a different supplier, as some suppliers use birch plywood from china, many people report having problems with plywood originating from china, due to the type of glue they use. Norwegian or Russian made product may be a better choice.
Welcome to the creek.
JIm J.

Mike Null
05-06-2009, 7:01 AM
Don

Welcome to SMC.

One other problem we have when cutting birch plywood is flatness. If it isn't perfectly flat the laser will be out of focus and won't cut as it should. You may want to increase your frequency as well.

I sometimes make two passes just to insure a clean cut.