PDA

View Full Version : I want to talk Sanders

Mike Stephens
05-05-2009, 9:26 PM
I am looking for an affordable right angle drill to use for sanding. Some thing light weight and comfortable to hold. I have searched all over and there is countless cheapo brands out there. I am sure 1 or more of those would be up to the task.

I'd like to here what you fellow Creekers are using. Your likes, dislikes and recommendations.

Thanks,
Mike

Don Orr
05-05-2009, 10:05 PM
Mike,

I use the el mondo cheapo Harbor Freight right angle (close quarters) drill. Watch the sales and coupons and you can get them for about $26. I have been using the same one for a couple of years and it has not died yet.

Jerry Rhoads
05-05-2009, 10:11 PM
I use the Milwaukee 70 degree drill (from Farm & Fleet). It is now made in China. Not nearly as good as the one they made in the USA, up till a couple of years ago. But it is doing pretty good.

Jerry

Ken Fitzgerald
05-05-2009, 10:13 PM
Mike,

I use a Trex air sander....$120. I've used it for a couple of years with no problems.

Ryan Baker
05-05-2009, 10:18 PM
Mike,

I use the el mondo cheapo Harbor Freight right angle (close quarters) drill. Watch the sales and coupons and you can get them for about $26. I have been using the same one for a couple of years and it has not died yet.

I've got one of those too. So far it has been working great, and for the price, you can't go too far wrong.

Tom Lewis
05-05-2009, 10:34 PM
I use the Harbor Freight model. I had a Souix drill and it didn't last any time at all. I got the Harbor Freight model, It has held up well and you can't beat the price. I like the top speed for sanding, and the cooling ports are where they don't catch much dust. When it dies, I'll just get another one.

Bernie Weishapl
05-05-2009, 10:39 PM
I also use a Harbour Freight right angle drill.

Curt Fuller
05-05-2009, 10:55 PM
Harbor Freight user here too. I bought two several years ago while they were on sale for 19 bucks. I'm still using the first one.

Burt Alcantara
05-05-2009, 11:24 PM
Harbor Freight here. Also have a recon Milwaukee right angle. The trigger is too big so I'm always starting it when I don't want to. For that reason, it stays on the shelf.

I have no problems in any way with the HF model.

Nathan Hawkes
05-06-2009, 1:35 AM
I have a makita 2700rpm standard drill, a sioux 8005ES--the high speed one, and a 1300rpm chinese knock-off of the sioux/milwaukee angle drill.

Save your money for a high speed angle drill like the sioux 8005 or the makita angle drill. My makita standard drill is too heavy for long sessions. The speed knocks a huge amount of time off your sanding, and allows you to use less pressure, which wears your paper out faster.

Mike Stephens
05-06-2009, 7:42 AM
Thanks for the replies. I will probably go with the HF cheapo. Just like hearing what people that have been using the tools say about them before I buy. Helps me make a better educated decision.

Burt Alcantara
05-06-2009, 8:28 AM
I should mention that in addition to my power sander(s), half of my sanding is done manually. I use a pad with the lathe turning at about 1000. Unlike most people, I like sanding. Sanding with a pad also gets me into places hard or impossible to reach with a power sander. I can feel contours better so my surfaces come out more even. That's really correcting bad gouge technique tho.

Ralph Lindberg
05-06-2009, 10:09 AM
I ran into a deal a couple years ago on the Harbor Freight for $19.99, I bought, two.... still haven't wrecked the first one and the 2nd one is in the box

Reed Gray
05-06-2009, 11:45 AM
I had one experience with one of the cheap drills. I got one and it didn't last a month before the casing wore out, not the bearings. I get about 400 to 450 bowls out of the Sioux/Milwaukee drills. I prefer the angle drills to the 90 degree drills. I like slower drill speeds, and have a piece of 1/4 inch cork under the trigger. It really does work better. With my S/M drills (I have 5, 3 slow speed, 1 high speed and 1 pneumatic) all have been in the shop a number of times, at an average cost of about $75. I think I have worn out the casings in all of them, the longest lasting one was one of the old black Sioux, the bearings have gone out a number of times, and the brushes have all been replaced as well. For heavy use, I like the more industrial grade tools. Cost more, but do more work.
robo hippy

Harvey M. Taylor
05-06-2009, 12:56 PM
I bit the bullet and bought the Sioux 4 yrs ago. It quit onme. Just switched to reverse and it blew the particles out that had stopped it. Now I frequently blow it out in f and r .Probably will outlast me. Max

Joshua Dinerstein
05-06-2009, 1:32 PM
Thanks for the replies. I will probably go with the HF cheapo. Just like hearing what people that have been using the tools say about them before I buy. Helps me make a better educated decision.

I also have 1 of the Harbor Fright Close Quarter drills. Works like a champ. Only had mine about 9 months or so but for the price and the effectiveness I would highly recommend it.

Joshua

Tim Cleveland
05-06-2009, 1:40 PM
Mike,

Is that a pnuematic or electric drill?

Tim

David Walser
05-06-2009, 3:49 PM
Mike,

I use a Trex air sander....$120. I've used it for a couple of years with no problems.

Ken,

How large a compressor do you need for the Trex air sander?

When I worked in a furniture mill, most of the screw drills and sanders we used were run by compressed air. When I started to set up my own hobby shop, I wanted to do the same because pneumatic tools typically weigh less and are smaller than their electric counterparts. However, virtually everyone I spoke with told me I'd need a very large compressor to run a sander so I've not gone that route.

Joshua Dinerstein
05-06-2009, 3:57 PM
Is that a pnuematic or electric drill?

Tim

I have one with the same name and it is electric. I also have some pneumatic drills. But they use so much air that my little pancake compressor just can't successfully drive them. So I have gone back to electric and fighting the cords.

Joshua

Alec Moseley
05-06-2009, 4:58 PM
I had the Sioux, it gradually gave out on me, and I now use the Harbor Freight $25 or so close quarters model with identical satisfaction. If it doesn't last I can buy another one or two before I will have spent the price of a new expensive sander.

Ryan Baker
05-06-2009, 9:01 PM
I'm curious how well the Grex 2" Angle Random Orbit [Air] Sander works. Sounds like it could be a really nice little gadget, but i'm not interested enough to spend $110 to find out. Anybody have one?

Bill Buchanan IN
05-07-2009, 11:33 AM
For what it's worth dept:

I was in the same mode. After reading this thread, went yesterday for the HF #95877.

On sale thru late May for $36 & change. Used it this morning with no regrets. It fits the hand well with better approach angle than DW standard electric and should do well for the price. It is keyless 3/8", and comes with xtra set of brushes, reversing, 1500 rpm and trigger lock. Fathers Day sidewalk sale is coming up.

BTW: If durability is in question, an extended warranty ( 1 yr vs. 90 days) for $5 and change might be good insurance. My concern was noise and an el cheepo performance. Works much better and is nowhere near as loud as same brand - clunky & gear noisy handheld grinder.

Kaptan J.W. Meek
05-07-2009, 1:22 PM
I ran into a deal a couple years ago on the Harbor Freight for $19.99, I bought, two.... still haven't wrecked the first one and the 2nd one is in the box
DITTO!!.. I wish I'd bought another one.. so I'd have one for life!

Mike Stephens
05-07-2009, 3:02 PM
I am the kind of person who typically likes to buy a quality tool 1 time. But with the # of responses recommending the HF close quarter drill I think I'm leaning in that direction.

Thanks

Jack Tyree
05-07-2009, 9:05 PM
I use a Milwaukee close quarter drill & think it's great. They can be had on the web for as low as $116.00 & I don't think that too bad considering the other uses.