PDA

View Full Version : strange question/request for help

Shannon Kruse
05-05-2009, 7:33 PM
This isn't a woodworking question, but since everyone here seems really helpful and like a great crowd, I thought I would give it a shot. Not to mention that most of the members use power tools as often as possible...

I recently moved to Texas after residing in NM for my entire life and as part of the move had to get Texas registration on my truck. Well, everything went fine, got the DL, the registration, the insurance, but after I got home I got into a snag. I can't get the NM plate off my truck (1994 Toyota Pickup).

Little back information: we (my family) got the truck in 1994 and put the NM plate on it. Since then this truck has been subjected to every type of weather out there and all sorts of corrosive chemicals on the roadways due to ice and snow. Because of this - and the fact the bolts haven't been touched for 15 years - they are stuck fast.

I have tried doucing the bolts in WD40 and letting it sit over night then hitting it again before re-attempting to remove the bolts, but all to no avail. And in the process of one of the many attempts I have managed to strip one of the heads. So I went a step farther and attempted to drill out a bolt, but still no luck. The last attempt even started to melt the plastic cover. So as of now I am stuck with dual plates on the truck (that don't match), two very rusted and now stripped bolts, and not a clue as to my next step (other than go to a mechanic and beg for help :)).

Any ideas?

Oh, and I want to keep the plate and plastic cover for my mom since this was her truck and has meaning (its name is Smokey :D). We also have a front plate that says "Mom's Truck". I intend to take all these and make a display box for her when I get a chance (maybe as an xmas gift). Any ideas on this as well? :)

i appreciate any help that you guys can provide.

Shannon

phil harold
05-05-2009, 7:51 PM
sawzall or a cold chisel

have fun

Shannon Kruse
05-05-2009, 7:55 PM
don't have, don't have, already tried

good ideas, but don't have access to the tools or already tried and it didn't work

Tom Veatch
05-05-2009, 8:55 PM
WD-40 is sort of marginal for use as a penetrating oil/frozen bolt loosener. Try something like Kroil (http://www.kanolabs.com/) or PB-Blaster (http://blasterchemical.com/display.cfm?p=50003&pid=4). I think either of those would work much better than WD-40 for your purposes. I know Kroil worked wonders freeing up frozen nuts/bolts on my 30+ year old tractor that spent most of its youth in a rice paddy.

David Freed
05-05-2009, 9:06 PM
What are the bolts screwed into? Most vehicles have those square plastic inserts.

Shannon Kruse
05-05-2009, 9:21 PM
Here are some pics of what I am dealing with. From what I can tell, the bolts are affixed to nuts and the nuts are rusted onto the bolts (or they were locktited a long time ago???) Can't cut the plate off because I don't want to damage the metal on the truck or the plate and plate frame. Tried to drill the second bolt, but it got to hot and stopped penetrating.

If I can figure out how to get it in there I will take the hacksaw to the bolt (or my Dremel) but tight area without a lot of room and some wires and requires two drop cords put together to reach.

Somewhat lacking on tools (comes from living in apts and condos and being new to woodworking), but here is a list of what I can use: cordless drill with bits up to 1/2", hacksaw, hammer, screwdrivers, and Dremel with metal cutting bits. Everything else is for woodworking.

Steve Southwood
05-05-2009, 9:36 PM
Couple ideas.

Can you take the tailgate off and access it from the top of the plate, hacksaw from there? Maybe from the back with a hacksaw. Hold the back with vice grips while you drill the front. You might use the vicegrips in the back and break the bolts by working back and forth.

Jim Rimmer
05-05-2009, 9:42 PM
I've used Liquid Wrench on stubborn bolts with success. Now that it is stripped you'llprobably have to use vise grips to turn it.

Mike Langford
05-05-2009, 9:43 PM
Shannon,
Find a friend with a small (4"/4 1/2") side grinder and grind the heads off the screws......Or......Since you have a drill and bits.....start with a small bit and work your way up until you've drilled the head off the screw (go slow and let the bit do the cutting)

Looks like you've got a good start on one already!..........

You can also get grinding stones for your Dremel (Lowes'/Home Depot)

Mike Cutler
05-05-2009, 9:53 PM
Shannon

As a Toyota P/U driver, currently have a 2001 Tacoma. Your "best bet" would be to lower the tire,( and hopefully the lowering mechanism has been lubricated) and get a "Nut Breaker tool" on the nut and break it free. I would also apply the Kroil that Tom recommended.
A Nut Breaker can be bought at WalMart, or any automotive supply store. It's a handy tool to keep around, so you won't be wasting your money buying one. It is not an expensive tool, maybe $15.00-$20.00

If the bolt and nut were more exposed, a propane torch would heat it off, but you're really close to your wiring harness so I wouldn't do it.

Shannon Kruse
05-05-2009, 10:52 PM
Thanks for all the great replies!

I will definitely be trying some in the morning when I have light.

Dick Strauss
05-06-2009, 12:42 AM
I'd suggest locking vise grips after lubing the heck out of it.

mike holden
05-06-2009, 9:21 AM
Shannon,
Take a rotary tool (dremel) and grind off the bolt heads.
Remove the plate and push the bolt remnants thru the back.
When replacing, stop by an auto parts place and get *plastic* licence plate nuts and bolts.
Mike

Rod Goodin
05-06-2009, 12:26 PM
I would use a "nut cracker" you can pick one up a sears. Put it over the nut and tighten it down and it splits the nut I use them when changing shocks

Al Wasser
05-06-2009, 2:03 PM
I it is that hard to remove, why not drill a couple of holes for bolts and just attach the new plate over the old one?

Jude Tuliszewski
05-06-2009, 7:05 PM
Nut splitter, a pair of Vice Grips, and an adjustable wrench will do the trick. Doing it yourself you will come out ahead as opposed to taking it to a shop and you will have a few more tools to boot :D. Spend the money on stainless steel nuts/lock nuts, bolts, and washers/lock washers when you put on the new plate. I would not mess around with the plastic nuts. Do it right the first time and you will not have worry about it again :).

Shawn Pixley
05-06-2009, 9:53 PM
A nut-cracker. Essentially a Cold chisel riven by a high strength bolt. Put it over the nut and Tighten . It will split the nut and you're free. Available at Sears.