PDA

View Full Version : Grizzly G0462 speed modification

Ben Brown27
05-05-2009, 6:31 PM
Has anybody tried this modification http://www.chrisbillman.com/Projects/LatheSpeed.htm on a grizzly G0462. I'm considering getting one and was just curious if anybody has tried adding a lower speed. Right now I have a turncrafter, and I need to get something a little larger. I spent the other night chasing the lathe around the bench top while trying to turn a coolibah burl.

Thanks

Rick Prosser
05-05-2009, 11:28 PM
I have the Shop Fox W1758 version of this lathe. My speed handle also will go past the last indent for 10-20 less rpm. I tried an experiment where I removed the screws from the control handle so I could turn the handle in the headstock as far as possible. The way the split pulleys are set up, as you turn the handle for slower speed, the edges of the pulley in the headstock are getting closer. The handle will not go any further than where the pulley is at it's narrow-ist (the width of the belt at the top of the pulley - see demo at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M8ExzaUq5GI ) So, the handle will not turn further, and the speed will not go any slower. To me, it was not worth the 10-20 rpm to drill another indent.

I did purchase a wider belt (about 1/8 inch wider) than the one that came with the lathe, and it lowered the speed about 70-80 rpm. I don't think an even wider belt will work because the spring on the motor pulley is at full compression with the wide belt.

I went from a low speed of 1000 with a worn belt:(, to 620 with a new belt, to 540 with the wider belt.:)

The only other thing I could try other than additional/different pulleys is a lower voltage at the motor. This would cause other issues, so I guess 540 is the best low speed I will get. The speed will creep up as the belt wears and get narrower.

Bernie Weishapl
05-06-2009, 4:41 PM
Lowering the speed by 40 to 80 rpm on big blanks will not do you any good. You will still be chasing the lathe around. When I put a unruly out of round blank on I like to start out at maybe 100 rpm to maybe 200 rpm. IMHO I think you are wasting your time and money for 10 to 80 rpm less but again that's just me.

Ben Brown27
05-06-2009, 5:09 PM
Right now I've got a mini lathe with a 10" throw, 1/2 horse motor and low speed of 500. That means with luck and patience I can get maybe a 9" bowl or plate, and I'll still be chasing the lathe around. I tried turning a coolibah burl the other day, and I was just about having to hold the lathe in place while trying to turn.

Would I buy a $3000 lathe, sure, but not before I've been turning for at least 2 years. I'm bad about jumping hobbies, and I'd rather know I'm going to be at it for a long while before I sink that much cash. At this point I just need something bigger that's not going to break the bank. If I can spen $500 and make a few mods and get the speed into the 400's then it is a definate win for me.

Jeff Nicol
05-06-2009, 11:52 PM
Ben, The best thing I ever did to my lathe which is the exact one you have but with different paint is to get rid of the Reeves drive and put a VFD and a 1HP 3phase motor on it. I now have from 0-4000 RPM at the turn of a knob! It was well worth the $150 I spent on the switch over. Check my photo gallery and my posts and you will see the set up.

Jeff

Ben Brown27
05-07-2009, 7:01 AM
Hey Jeff,

That's exactly my plan. I was going to get the lathe so I could get started with something a little bigger. After a couple of months I was going to look into switching it over to a 3 phase and vfd. I've got to start looking around for details on the switch over. I'll look through you posts to see what you've done.

Thanks

Rick Prosser
05-07-2009, 9:12 AM
Bernie - I agree that (now that I know for sure):p it is not worth the effort to try and tweak down the speed. I had to replace the belt anyway, so going from 1000 to 500 on the slow side was good. The wider belt is also a "hi performance" lawnmower belt that I am hoping will last longer than the standard belt - the lower 70 rpm is just an extra plus.

Jeff - your solution seems to be the best option to get down to the really good slow speed. I am wondering if there were any side effects (low torque, stalling, etc) from the switch. I have a 2HP motor, so it seems I would loose a lot if I switched to 1HP. Maybe the 3phase would make up for it...
I tried to find some info in your post and photo gallery, but did not have much luck - guess my search skills are lacking as much as my turning skills :D

If it only costs $150 for the mod, it would seem like the lathe makers would offer a VFD model like this :confused: - which seems to fit the needs better for turners on a budget.

Jeff Nicol
05-07-2009, 5:19 PM
Bernie - I agree that (now that I know for sure):p it is not worth the effort to try and tweak down the speed. I had to replace the belt anyway, so going from 1000 to 500 on the slow side was good. The wider belt is also a "hi performance" lawnmower belt that I am hoping will last longer than the standard belt - the lower 70 rpm is just an extra plus.

Jeff - your solution seems to be the best option to get down to the really good slow speed. I am wondering if there were any side effects (low torque, stalling, etc) from the switch. I have a 2HP motor, so it seems I would loose a lot if I switched to 1HP. Maybe the 3phase would make up for it...
I tried to find some info in your post and photo gallery, but did not have much luck - guess my search skills are lacking as much as my turning skills :D

If it only costs $150 for the mod, it would seem like the lathe makers would offer a VFD model like this :confused: - which seems to fit the needs better for turners on a budget.
Rick, If you have a 2hp motor already is it a 220v? If so you should get the same size in a 3PH motor. Since my lathe had a 3/4hp on it the 1hp was a step up, I also plan on maybe adding a jack shaft in the middle to get some different gearing, but it works great now. It will stall at really slow speeds, so the jack shaft will give me somoe more torgue at low rpms, but I use it mostly for smaller things and not out of round so once you get it over 100rpm there is almost not trouble unless you really try hogging off some wood. It may cost you a little more for a bigger motor but the VS is a nice trade off. I think that manufacturers don't set them up this way from the start is the motors are a bit bigger and heavier than the 3/4 to 1.5hp they use a lot at that price point. Once you go to that the structure is bigger or a base to locate the motor is needed so costs go up all around.

Jeff

Rick Prosser
05-08-2009, 1:16 PM
The motor is 110v 2HP.

http://www.bibbtool.com/shop-fox-w1758-woodworking-lathe-2hp-with-dro-stand-p-5386.html